Running comments/Questions

Options
I have always been a walker. Only ran when forced to! Recently I have started adding little jogging (speaking of, when does jogging become running?) moments to my walks. I read the posts on the runner wanting to increase his pace. I'm amazed at what he is already doing! I was even more amazed at the other posts. I had no idea there was so much training to it. I thought, you just get out there and run!
Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone ever started crying during their running when they first began? Not crying from pain, just an emotional release....? I was hoping for the runners high...but I got a runners "cry". It still felt good though! :)

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have learned from practicing yoga that we hold a lot of emotional connections in various places in our bodies. Often times when you experience something new physically, it can release certain feelings like that. Consider it a form of "runner's high". I'm glad to see it was a positive experience for you.

Oh, and running and jogging are one in the same IMO.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I've bawled on runs plenty on times. I'm normally an introvert and also tend to be pretty detached emotionally. Running is a great release for this.

About a week after my father died last year I cried for 12 miles of a 15 mile run. I'm sure I looked a sight at crosswalks, but it was just what I needed.

And I agree with lporter as well. There's a couple yoga poses that bring up a lot of emotion for me. I don't think it's a bad thing. Part of fitness is developing a relationship with your body. Taking care of it, loving it, improving it, pushing it....connecting your physical movements with emotion seems a natural part of this to me.
  • pollardarnp
    Options
    Thank you for the comments!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    2 words: BIG SUNGLASSES!

Working out (running and cycling) are my opportunities to deal with stress. So it's not uncommon for me to cry while working out.
    Sometimes it's out of joy, sometimes sadness, sometims relief, other times out of wonder as to what my mind and body are capable of.

And ATLMel...I did a 5 day bike ride across Wisconsin the summer after my dad died. I cried the whole time!! One thing I've learned is exercise is cheaper than therapy, and less creepy too :) Sorry for your loss, but glad you found an effective way to deal!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The only time i have cried while running is during a marathon. I pretty much cry at mile 23 each time. ;)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I started weeping a bit when I finished my first marathon. Coming down the last half mile or so, it was all I could do to not bawl my eyes out.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I started weeping a bit when I finished my first marathon. Coming down the last half mile or so, it was all I could do to not bawl my eyes out.

Oh yeah, this! I cried in pain and agony at mile 23.... cried in joy at 26.2.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I believe that running and yoga are very similar in certain regards. Running is very mental and if you don't have the right kind of mind set going into a run it could ruin the experience. You need to stay positive because the negative can overwhelm you and make you think you can't do it.

Running out on the road is a way to get rid of all the baggage on your shoulders. To let loose and relax. Unwind.

I saw this really cool picture recently that said: 'RUNNING RELEASES MORE THEN JUST SWEAT"... and then it showed a girl running with tons of different words all falling behind her such as 'frustrations, anger, stress, fear, etc. It is a very motivational picture.
  • bugsy2011
    bugsy2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There is nothing quite like the pure joy of running, which often results in emotional releases. We tend to hold so much in. Running just lets us be free--without judgment or restraint. It's just you, you and your body in motion beating down on pavement, tackling trails, running to reach goals, running to release stress, running to be stronger or running to just "be."
    Stretch, each right, cool down, and listen to your body. Check out Runner's World, which has great tips for runners, especially those just starting out. Have fun. Happy running.