Toning up with household objects. :)

Options
1235»

Replies

• KatyKakes6310
    Options
    i used to use my son as a weight... now he's like 25 lbs. But i would highly suggest purchasing a medicine ball. I used it for a week and saw results faster than at the gym.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Trust me, no one ever understands what she's saying
    Good to know it's not just me!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I'm not 18 years old. But, lets remember that age doesn't make a person smart. Everyone on here can only speak for their own body. That's what everyone should understand. When you speak about exercise, you should pull from your own experience. I do.
    Not sure I understand what you're saying. My point was the person to ridicule the OP is only 18 and just started working out. I was being sarcastic.

You don't understand what I have wrote. Good. Yet, you have a point.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Trust me, no one ever understands what she's saying
    Good to know it's not just me!

The person you are quoting is on my ignore list. My haters will always say they don't understand what I'm saying and it's all good.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you guys aren't serious.
    But of course. 18 year olds who have just started working out know far more than everyone else.
    But of course, people who do their own research know far more than Cosmo magazine sheep.

^fixed that for you. :3
  • macpatti
    Options
    But of course, people who do their own research know far more than Cosmo magazine sheep.
    So, women who want to use household items as weights are Cosmo sheep? You do realize that whether you're lifting a 5 lb can or a 5 lb dumbbell, you're still lifting 5 lbs, right?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    So, women who want to use household items as weights are Cosmo sheep? You do realize that whether you're lifting a 5 lb can or a 5 lb dumbbell, you're still lifting 5 lbs, right?

There is someone in this thread will tell you the 5lb dumbbell is heavier....
  • macpatti
    Options
    You do realize that whether you're lifting a 5 lb can or a 5 lb dumbbell, you're still lifting 5 lbs, right?
    Ha! That would be awesome. I'd love to know the thought process behind that argument!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You do realize that whether you're lifting a 5 lb can or a 5 lb dumbbell, you're still lifting 5 lbs, right?
    Ha! That would be awesome. I'd love to know the thought process behind that argument!

I'll give you a hint who said it. She's ignoring half the people in this thread.
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Ok thats it I'm just going to start lifting my house!:bigsmile:
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options

If you think a 5lb anything is effective, you're free to waste your time. I just didn't realize there were still people around who think you can "tone" with low weights and a ton of reps.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you think a 5lb anything is effective, you're free to waste your time. I just didn't realize there were still people around who think you can "tone" with low weights and a ton of reps. My personal recommendation is to read something for once that wasn't written in the 80's.

One of the coaches at my college told the women's weight training class this earlier in the semester. Presumably, she has a Master's in something Exercise Science related. I couldn't believe my ears. Thankfully, the main coach for the class said that we needed to use weights that we could only get 10 reps on before failing. Any more reps and you're not going heavy enough. That's the advice I take.
  • mommy2ans
    mommy2ans Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Anyhoo..... :)

I put my daughter on my back yesterday and did some lunges and squats. She's 4 years old and weighs 34 pounds (she's tiny;)) She love it! And while i didn't do many, bc i AM out of shape ,hehe, i did several and could definitely feel that it worked. Maybe i will do a few a day and work my way up. She loved it so much she kept saying "come on mom, let's exercise some more!". So it's fun for her too which is a plus ;)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I understand not having time, money or space but do know what you're thinking lifting weights is going to do to you is the biggest misconception out there by women. We don't have enough testosterone to be built like men. If you try milk jugs or hell even your kids over a soup can or your own body weight is best, you'll get better results and actually notice something.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You guys really don't think the equivalent of lifting nothing will build muscle, do you?

Am I getting trolled?

No, not trolled but perhaps you should respect and understand someone else's situation and try to be a bit more respectable and polite to that person.
    That person is at least trying and is on a very limited budget.
    Using household items for resistance training is an age old way to do that.
    If you've got something creative or educational to add to this, go ahead.
    But please, stop being a meat head :laugh:
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells at target are really not expensive....

Girl i am SO broke :) Hopefully I can get some in a few weeks though ;)

I know what you mean!

You can accomplish quite a lot just doing push-ups, squats, and triceps dips on a chair. You don't need to lift really heavy weights.

Someone else suggested a cheap set of resistance bands. I don't have money or space so I got some on EBay. They really do work pretty well, especially since you can combine them. They add up to a lot of resistance. They take up no room and a full set costs less than a couple of dumbells.

At some point, you may decide you want to look like some fitness model in a magazine, and then you'll need to think about more serious equipment. In the meantime, you can do plenty to increase your health and fitness without doing that.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Anyhoo..... :)

I put my daughter on my back yesterday and did some lunges and squats. She's 4 years old and weighs 34 pounds (she's tiny;)) She love it! And while i didn't do many, bc i AM out of shape ,hehe, i did several and could definitely feel that it worked. Maybe i will do a few a day and work my way up. She loved it so much she kept saying "come on mom, let's exercise some more!". So it's fun for her too which is a plus ;)

Awww keep doing what you are doing till you are able to afford a gym and don't let people on here discourage you...Everyones situation is different. Plus its good bonding time for your guys :)