40 yrs old. Need help

Options
2»

Replies

• EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am 42....never could stick with a diet in the past....the MFP has helped me to keep track of my calories and exercise...i love it!
    San :)
  • ghsamia
    ghsamia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well, for me it didn't happen until 43. I had my first and only child at 43 and gained 75 lbs. I didn't lose any weight for over 10 months, and I had always been an average weight of 130-135 at 5'5". I started back exercising when my daughter was about a year old and finally did get back to pre-baby weight, but it was in different places. Long story short, MFP helped me get to my lowest weight since high school. I am 46 and weigh 117 now. I'll admit that it was easier to take the weight off than it is to maintain it. My advice to anyone over 40 wanting to lose weight: Use MFP every single day. Seeing what you are eating and how much helps. You can do it. :happy:
  • cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in November and yes, there is definitely a difference. It was a little depressing, but I am fighting back and you can too :)

It will probably take a little more work but it's so worth it!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 in April & I'm loving it. I've never been this healthy my entire adult life. Try to stay motivated & approach this lifestyle change realistically. If you are miserable then changes need to be made.
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in January and I have never felt better. I am getting stronger every day and I love it!! Change your inner voice, YOU CAN AND WILL DO THIS!!! If you want it then go get it, there is nothing stopping you, but you. :flowerforyou:
  • VictorW2
    VictorW2 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am 45 and haven't looked or felt this good in 20 years. I love it !
  • js25698
    js25698 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yep. I am 43 now. I lost 65 lbs 13 years ago pretty quickly. Weight just fell off. Now I have about 35 of those to lose again and they are fighting me every inch of the way. It may be a little harder for us but we can do it!!
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think it does get to be a little different as you hit the 40 mark. I know I have weight in areas I sure didn't in my 30's. I still have a small layer of belly fat that I hate- that I didn't when I weighed this in my 30's. Grrr! I'm just gaining and losing differently now. I think it has a hormone or lack there of connection...But, I have still seen good results. I started this journey in January, I've lost consistently, and I have about 5 or 6 lbs to go I hit my original goal of 35 lbs lost. I will probably strive for 5 to 10 more lbs after that... but It is possible if we just put put our minds to it and stay on track...You can do this!
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm 29.5 and it's still hard to stay motivated... I want to be at least half way to goal by the time I turn 30. It's hard for everyone on this journey. If it was easy, no one would be overweight and everyone would be exercising and eating right.
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am 47. I think you should get a full physical and make sure your hormones are in balance. I am on HRT now and I am losing weight it seems to be at the same rate as before 40. Besides having a stomach flu, right now, I am losing weight. Age is just a number. Don't let a number be a stumbling block or mental barrier. It is calories in and calories out. MFP is a super tool. Just do it.
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just hit 41, well feel liked a slammed into the wall and slid down it for a while :noway: that was in Feb of this year and I made a promise to lose some of the weight before my 41'st in April, I have, nearly reached my first goal, it feels great so I have now exteneded that goal to another one and over half way to it ....

I don't like the word "DIET" this is a life change for me, and I may still be here in my 60's logging my food and exercise who knows ? But I can say this is the first thing that has really worked for ME!

Good luck everyone with their "Life Change" :drinker:

Alli
  • VictorW2
    VictorW2 Posts: 18
    Options
    Remember abs are made in the kitchen 70% nutrition and 30% exercise. And Drink plenty of water, 2-3 liters a day !
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    38 and close enough....I think the older we get, the more determined we get....
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I am not even looking at this to lose weight anymore or else I would have gave up long time ago. It is about my physical and mental health and that is the way I look at it and that is what is keeping me motivated. Hopefully in the meantime, I will tone up one day....lol.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hey 48 here, working my tail off giving the younger guys at the dojo a run for their money. First and oldest black belt at my school. You can do this.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and I feel better than I ever have!
    I will say it was easier to drop the weight when I was younger, but I feel stronger now--not just physically, but emotionally, too.
    Turning 41 changed my mind about the type of body I want--skinny isn't good enough; I want muscles! The best change I made was introducing weightlifting into my fitness regimen. I highly recommend it. Best to you! :flowerforyou:
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    WOW thanks everyone for your replies!! I feel so motivated and I know I can do this!! Thanks to you all. I love this site!! You are all so supportive.
  • haberchic
    haberchic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'll be 44 next week. I used to be able to lose weight easily, but now it takes a lot more work! I run and lift weights but all that does is help me maintain my weight now. I pretty much have to stick between 1200-1300 calories a week to lose 1 pound and I fail often. I've been losing and gaining back the same 5 pounds for a year. I'm going to try and be faithful in my logging and hope to see a change by the end of May.
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It's just a number! I'm turning 49 this August and CELEBRATING! :bigsmile: Sure everything has changed. Fat doesn't fall off like it used to. It stays in places it didn't before. Hormones are going haywire. New problems arise for age related reasons. But I feel fabulous and GOSH DARN IT I love being healthier after making this lifestyle change. Keep moving girl! It is the secret to staying young! :drinker: