Any Pesco Vegetarians Out There?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• same89
    same89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian...I eat dairy, but I don't eat any chicken, fish or any kind of meat.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Its just Pescatarian... Vegetarians don't eat any sort of dead animal & fish is a animal... Vegans don't eat or use any animal products. etc etc..
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Although I hate using a label to define my dietary choices because of the ridiculous debates that invariably arise, I have not eaten pork, beef, or poultry in 15 years. I do, however, occasionally eat fish.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me :flowerforyou:

i'm a recovering vegan, and since i still can't stomach most meats (they're just so GROSS) i guess i would be considered "pescetarian"
  • blahblah123314
    blahblah123314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Used to be a vegetarian and am now a pescetarian! It's kinda silly when people say "oh, but you eat fish so that still counts as vegetarian". NO, it doesn't or else the term pescetarian wouldn't exis t -_- Anyway, feel free to add me :)
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Katoato,

While I do agree it's up to everyone to communicate what they do and don't want in a meal, when people who are not vegetarian (such as a person who eats fish) calls themselves one, it makes others think that more do. What if someone doesn't know that a soup is made with fish stock, and the waitstaff doesn't think to tell them because they saw another "vegetarian" eating it before? There's also situations where people swear up and down that they'll make a vegetarian meal... and then they'll serve fish or even chicken. It's the darndest thing. This sort of stuff happens a lot more often than one would probably think, and it can even make vegetarians sick when it happens. This is not really some moral thing when I try to teach people not to use the term vegetarian when they're really pescetarian, it's just me trying to make sure I myself don't get into unnecessary trouble in the future.

Anyway, I am going to bow out of this discussion now, I said my part and now I'll leave the thread for the pescetarians of the forum to gather together and chat. =)
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was a pescetarian for about ten years, then I stopped for a few years. I started it back up again last year. It's interesting being a pescetarian in Spain, land of jamon and butifarra. However, we live in Barcelona, where they eat a lot of seafood as well. Feel free to add me!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Oh boo, come on. It would be different if the title was, "Any vegetarians that eat fish out there?". Chances are, she probably calls herself a pesca, not a vegetarian in public.

Feel free to add me! I eat sea-life. I'd call myself a pescetarian, but someone might slap a crustacean out of my hand.
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You do realize what omnivore (there's an "e" on the end) means, right? It comes from the Latin "omni", meaning all, and "vorare", to devour. It literally means "eats everything" and is said in reference to the diet of complex organisms that are typically higher up the food chain. This person doesn't eat meat other than fish. Therefore, this person does NOT eat everything. Therefore, this person is NOT an omnivore! :) HTH!
    That would mean no person or animal is an omnivore because there's no way ever omnivore on the planet eats everything. It's referring to the fact that an omnivore eats animal flesh, veggies, and fruits. Fish are animal flesh, and therefor anyone who eats it as well as veggies and fruits are omnivorous.

Anyway, what the other member who mentioned anyone who eats no meats aside from fish not being vegetarian meant is that when someone who eats meat of any kind calls themselves a vegetarian it makes it harder for people who don't to get the right orders while they're out. They start thinking "oh well this person eats fish, and they called themselves a vegetarian, so it must mean they all do, so I can serve this person fish". It happens a lot, believe me. The term is pescetarian, not pesco-vegetarian.

There's some more good info about it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism) , as well as more info on the etymology of the word itself.

For the record, I have no problems with your diet, I'm only saying this so you'll know the right term for it. Good luck finding other pescetarians on here, I'm sure there's more around.

If I'm unsure about what is in the food, I just ask. I've never had a problem going out or to friends' houses. I never even say I am a vegetarian or pescetarian, I just order what I want and get it, not really a big deal. I don't feel the need to explain what I eat and what I don't eat to the waiter/waitress.
  • CADreaming09
    Options
    Oh boo, come on. It would be different if the title was, "Any vegetarians that eat fish out there?". Chances are, she probably calls herself a pesca, not a vegetarian in public.

Feel free to add me! I eat sea-life. I'd call myself a pescetarian, but someone might slap a crustacean out of my hand.

This is honestly the first time I have said that I am a pesco vegetarian/pescetarian. But I've never felt to need to tell people that I don't eat meat, hardly any eggs, and some cheese. I just don't see the point LOL...Adding you:smile:
  • CADreaming09
    Options
    Katoato,

While I do agree it's up to everyone to communicate what they do and don't want in a meal, when people who are not vegetarian (such as a person who eats fish) calls themselves one, it makes others think that more do. What if someone doesn't know that a soup is made with fish stock, and the waitstaff doesn't think to tell them because they saw another "vegetarian" eating it before? There's also situations where people swear up and down that they'll make a vegetarian meal... and then they'll serve fish or even chicken. It's the darndest thing. This sort of stuff happens a lot more often than one would probably think, and it can even make vegetarians sick when it happens. This is not really some moral thing when I try to teach people not to use the term vegetarian when they're really pescetarian, it's just me trying to make sure I myself don't get into unnecessary trouble in the future.

Anyway, I am going to bow out of this discussion now, I said my part and now I'll leave the thread for the pescetarians of the forum to gather together and chat. =)

Darn, wish I would've read this while you were 'in' the thread...

But what you're saying sounds more like a problem for you than me...If they don't tell you soup is made out of fish stock because I went in there before you and ate it, than it's more your fault for not asking them what exactly is in your food.

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to let the waiter/waitress decide if I can or can't eat something. Not really their job. Most probably don't assume anything anyway and if they did, again that's your fault for not specifying what you wanted to eat.

Even if I ate everything under the sun, I still want to know what is in the meal. I always ask.
  • CADreaming09
    Options
    Although I hate using a label to define my dietary choices because of the ridiculous debates that invariably arise, I have not eaten pork, beef, or poultry in 15 years. I do, however, occasionally eat fish.

Exactly!!! I never label myself either and like I mentioned before, this is the first time I did...I just don't feel the need to tell anyone what I eat. Just weird LOL...

And it always seems that when someone does mention they don't eat meat, there is always a discussion about why they don't and maybe they should eat more or less, etc.

I posted this, only because I wanted similar friends, that is all:smile:
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian (for yeeeeears) until I recently started the JM 90d BR meal plan. I intend on changing this after I've seen this exercise & diet program through. I ethically don't agree with eating wild salmon, (a fish JM heavily supports consuming) whose populations are being threatened by over-fishing. I also generally disagree with additives in our meat supply and the ways in which animals are treated. I think consuming meat only allows for these food supply chain issues to worsen. My light foray into meat eating over the past month has only reinforced my vegetarian beliefs. I notice that I don't eat as much meat as JM suggests in her meal plans, anyway. I think she needs to plan & support a more ecologically sustainable weight-loss menu.
  • CADreaming09
    Options
    I was vegetarian (for yeeeeears) until I recently started the JM 90d BR meal plan. I intend on changing this after I've seen this exercise program through. I ethically don't agree with eating wild salmon, (a fish JM heavily supports consuming) whose populations are being threatened by over-fishing. I also generally disagree with additives in our meat supply and the ways in which animals are treated. I think consuming meat only allows for these food supply chain issues to worsen. My light foray into meat eating over the past month has only reinforced my vegetarian beliefs. I notice that I don't eat as much meat as JM suggests in her meal plans, anyway. I think she needs to create a more ecologically sustainable menu.

I'm starting her Body Revolution, but I just eat healthier while doing an exercise plan. I definitely won't eat meat for her plan LOL...
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian (for yeeeeears) until I recently started the JM 90d BR meal plan. I intend on changing this after I've seen this exercise program through. I ethically don't agree with eating wild salmon, (a fish JM heavily supports consuming) whose populations are being threatened by over-fishing. I also generally disagree with additives in our meat supply and the ways in which animals are treated. I think consuming meat only allows for these food supply chain issues to worsen. My light foray into meat eating over the past month has only reinforced my vegetarian beliefs. I notice that I don't eat as much meat as JM suggests in her meal plans, anyway. I think she needs to create a more ecologically sustainable menu.

I'm starting her Body Revolution, but I just eat healthier while doing an exercise plan. I definitely won't eat meat for her plan LOL...

My son & fiancee' are both meat eaters. If anything, I'm able to purchase ethically sourced & organic meats for them. It really has helped our family a lot.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Just call yourself a pescatarian, you're no vegetarian got that.

way to be a jerk, god doesn't like ugly you know.
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I eat along those guidelines for the most part and I would like to eventually be totally pescatarian. Feel free to friend me!! :o)
  • CADreaming09
    Options
    Just call yourself a pescatarian, you're no vegetarian got that.

Hehe, people like you amuse me.
  • miriam315mary
    Options
    I'm not interested in any debates or power struggles over who to call what. I eat fish, seafood, dairy, eggs, veggies, and fruit. I am a leery eater when it comes to others preparing my food, so I will call myself a vegetarian when I go to other's homes or to restaurants. Send me a friend request if you are interested in sharing meal ideas. If you are looking for something to argue about, please bypass me. Thanks!