Should I adjust calories alotted?

Options
Monday - Friday I have exceptionally long days (stay at home mommy by day, work from home mommy by night!) I am up with the kids between 5:30-7am and busy all day with Mommy duties, then once my hubby gets home I go to the gym for an hour or so and then I work from home until about 1-1:30am. By the time work time rolls around I'm generally exhausted and left with little to no calories to use, and for me exhaustion tends to lead to "let's eat all the things". What I'm wondering is, SHOULD I be eating more because I have such long days, or should I just suck it up? I generally find if I have a snack or two while I'm working it wakes me up a bit so that I'm perked up enough to finish my shift, but I don't want to sabotage my weight loss either. I hear SO many people say they don't eat after 8pm or whenever, but I don't think that makes sense in my situation...maybe I'm wrong?

*Note if this is 'rambely' it's because it's shortly after 1am and my day is just finishing up! lol Sorry!!!

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't see your diary so have no idea how many calories you're eating, or if you're even eating your exercise calories. I will say the don't eat after 8 theory is junk. If it fits in your calorie goals, you can eat whenever you want.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. 8 am, 8pm, whatever. Your body knows what it needs. Listen to it.

17134251.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I adjusted mine..1200 is too low for me..good luck :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Have you set your activity level to account for the fact that you are so busy? If so, this will give you extra calories.
    I suggest that you plan out meals and snacks for the day and make sure you have something planned for later in the evening when you are hungry. Don't worry about the time you eat - worry about getting in healthy food, the right amount of calories and as much sleep as you can!
  • klackender
    klackender Posts: 3
    Options
    In my experience, eating later in the day has contributed to my weight hitting a plateau. I find once I start eating at 9 or 10 at night, I pretty much can't stop. My solution is to drink some water and try to make it to bed. I would also say that since you're still waking at a normal time, and I presume having breakfast early that you'll want to stop eating at some point during the night. If you're finding that you're super hungry late at night maybe you could try bumping up the protein and the fiber in your last meal?? As the previous poster said though, if you have the calories left in the day, go ahead and eat them. I don't think you should allow yourself more calories because you're awake more.
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a similar schedule- SAHM during the day then working from home at night until about 2 a.m. Not only does a late-night snack help me stay awake, but I'm physically hungry by about 10 or 11pm, which makes sense as it's been about 5 hours since dinner.

The trick for me is to budget the calories ahead of time so I know I have enough left for the snack and then not allowing myself to keep eating (easier said than done some nights!). Make sure your snack is high-protein so it'll stick with you and be the most energizing. I usually have a bowl of Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and fruit.