Before Bedtime Snack

Options
I have read a lot of different opinions regarding eating at night, some say no other say yes. However, I just started reading about catabolism, where the body start to eat consume muscle mass instead of fat storage. I read that it is better to keep the body in anabolic state and one of the ways to do that is to eat every 3-4 hours. So when it comes to sleeping you go 6-8 hours plus the time between your last meal and breakfast, which could be approx 12 hours. I've read it is good to eat a healthy snack before bed low fat, high protein and comple carbs. However, even those wear off after a few hours. So I started to look in to protein shakes, like Casein protein. I wanted some opinions if this would be a good thing to take to help me fill my calorie goal and to try and prevent my body from going in to a catabolic state

Replies

• Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    . So I started to look in to protein shakes, like Casein protein. I wanted some opinions if this would be a good thing to take to help me fill my calorie goal

I think its a great idea and I do this every night before bed and I actually wake up less sore since I have been doing this. Your body expels protein at night when you sleep and this is the time key time my muscles rests and recovers from my intense work outs so as long as I am within my calorie/macros goal then sure why not. Its better to have more protein than not enough as long as you're healthy of course.
  • wtdia
    wtdia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    not sure about any of it, but I do on occasion drink a glass of milk before bedtime. I didn't get much to eat today due to a 12 hour work day followed by my exercise routine (neighbor was waiting when I got home), so my dinner (light) was VERY late, but I hadn't eaten since a light lunch. That is NOT normally how I roll. I eat any chance I get (within my calorie limits). With my schedule, I work out late (after 9pm) so I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't kill me to have a light healthy snack later in the evening. I have been struggling with a plateau...I think because I 'm not eating enough calories and my body is in starve mode...although I don't feel like I'm starving. Oh wait....it's the muscle weight gain that's offsetting the fat loss....yeah that's it, ha ha.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    not sure about any of it, but I do on occasion drink a glass of milk before bedtime. I didn't get much to eat today due to a 12 hour work day followed by my exercise routine (neighbor was waiting when I got home), so my dinner (light) was VERY late, but I hadn't eaten since a light lunch. That is NOT normally how I roll. I eat any chance I get (within my calorie limits). With my schedule, I work out late (after 9pm) so I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't kill me to have a light healthy snack later in the evening. I have been struggling with a plateau...I think because I 'm not eating enough calories and my body is in starve mode...although I don't feel like I'm starving. Oh wait....it's the muscle weight gain that's offsetting the fat loss....yeah that's it, ha ha.

as long as you're getting in all your daily calorie goals then you are all good to go even if you are only eating a few times a day. There are benefits of eating more but then there are benefits of fasting/skipping some meals in a day as well but I dont want to type that much tonight but as long as you hit your number you are good to go. :wink:

Edit:PM me tomorrow and I can send ya some links if you want to get into details.
  • shodaimetruth
    shodaimetruth Posts: 137
    Options
    [/quote]
    I think its a great idea and I do this every night before bed and I actually wake up less sore since I have been doing this. [/quote]

I was doing this a long time ago back when i first started working out, but I didn't really know why I was doing it. I figured I would a slow release protein before bed hoping that it would help with the soreness. Now that I remember back, I was actually a bit less sore and that was in the beginning phase of me working out. Thanks for the advice.

That was suppose to be a quote of what you were saying, but I don't know how to do the quoting, so....yeah.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I eat late all the time. I do notice that my AM weight isn't quite as low as if I eat earlier in the evening, but I figure that's just b/c I've got more left in my system. I'd never thought about having a protein shake before bed making you less sore. I usually do some sort of protein/carb combo within an hour of a hard workout, but I may try the shake before bed on hard training days.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    I was doing this a long time ago back when i first started working out, but I didn't really know why I was doing it. I figured I would a slow release protein before bed hoping that it would help with the soreness. Now that I remember back, I was actually a bit less sore and that was in the beginning phase of me working out. Thanks for the advice.

That was suppose to be a quote of what you were saying, but I don't know how to do the quoting, so....yeah.

If it aint broke dont fix it. Meaning if its working for you then keep it working. My aim is to constantly keep my muscles saturated in protein at all times.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i almost always have to eat before bed, or my hunger will actually wake me up in the middle of the night! i usually try to have some fruit or, like, some peanut butter toast or something. nothing too crazy, and usually just a little something.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    i almost always have to eat before bed, or my hunger will actually wake me up in the middle of the night! i usually try to have some fruit or, like, some peanut butter toast or something. nothing too crazy, and usually just a little something.

THIS^^ haha ugh some times me too it will just wake me up out of a deep sleep. Usually I dive right into the cereal I know its not the best thing but it gives me that fix and puts me right back to sleep. Thankfully its not to often but it does happen from time to time. :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

So if you haven't consumed enough protein during the day then eating some before bed is a great idea. If you already have then having some extra is not going to hurt either.

But no you won't go lose muscle mass overnight if you don't eat just before bed assuming you have eaten adequate protein during the day.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    But no you won't go lose muscle mass overnight if you don't eat just before bed assuming you have eaten adequate protein during the day.

LOL where did you get losing muscle mass over night from the ops post? :confused:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

LOL where did you get losing muscle mass over night from the ops post? :confused:

How did you miss it? The OP is regarding concerns about catabolism and the long stretch of time before the last meal of the day and the next day's breakfast.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

How did you miss it? The OP is regarding concerns about catabolism and the long stretch of time before the last meal of the day and the next day's breakfast.

LOL I just quickly skim read it.
    OP shodaimetruth while I understand your concern most people who live healthy lifestyles which include proper diet and exercise do not encounter catabolic problems.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

this answers for me :) Thanks Taso.
  • rockerbaby2003
    rockerbaby2003 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I always eat something before bed, otherwise I wake up in the middle of the night with hunger pains. I always try to drink at least 2 cups of water with it, tonight was some popcorn and a few bites of chicken, with 2 cups of chicken broth. I LOVE drinking warm beef, chicken, or veggie broth so it helps my body warm up to fall asleep easier.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i dont know if its real or in my head but i fall asleep beter if i have a snack befor i sleep, pluss a chocolate drink and it seems to work.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I use chocolate casein powder mixed with plain yogurt, and sometimes add peanut butter for more flavor if I have the calories for it.. Protein + dessert before bed = win!
  • shodaimetruth
    shodaimetruth Posts: 137
    Options
    i've been thinking of switching from the sweetened yogurts like chobani to some plain ones and adding some protein or my fruit to them. a little nervous, considering the lack of sugar will probably make me struggle with the taste. I know at first, maybe.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I usually have a either a 1/2 scoop of Syntrax Nectar (11 g protein, 0 carbs, though it's whey protein as opposed to casein)
    or
    a few ounces of chicken breast
    or
    a little cottage cheese (this has casein)

I'm working hard to build some muscle mass after being out of shape so long and I want to help preserve any little growth I can. And the protein helps with recovery so I'm a little less sore, like an above poster mentioned.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    i've been thinking of switching from the sweetened yogurts like chobani to some plain ones and adding some protein or my fruit to them. a little nervous, considering the lack of sugar will probably make me struggle with the taste. I know at first, maybe.

I'm a walking sweet tooth, and I find the chocolate protein powder is enough sweet. You could try a drip or 2 of honey or a teaspoon of vanilla extract if you need more. Or a teaspoon of baking cocoa powder for a dark chocolate taste. Yummy yummy antioxidants.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I use chocolate casein powder mixed with plain yogurt, and sometimes add peanut butter for more flavor if I have the calories for it.. Protein + dessert before bed = win!

I haven't done this in a while, I need to put some plain greek yogurt on my shopping list. I used to use regular PB until I found PB2 powdered peanut butter - man, that stuff is awesome and has like 80% less calories than regular pb!!