Colonic hydrotherapy, anyone?

Options
13»

Replies

• HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You can save money and use a garden hose up there.

Gawd..... Okay. I'll try that out tomorrow!! For Shure... Haaaah. :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    People HAVE been doing enemas for thousands of years. Not to mention the typical modern Western diet has de-EVOLVED into complete toxic crap. Toxins absolutely are stored in your colon, liver, kidneys and fat cells. I have been getting colonics for 20 years, because they work, tons of benefits and never a single problem! What the earlier poster said about skin it absolutely true. I used to suffer from chronic eczema, and nothing has kept it under control better than colonics (and good diet, of course). Do your research. If done by an IACT certified (this is important!) practitioner it is quite safe. I realize they are not for everyone, but don't be afraid of something you know nothing about. Don't do it if YOU personally don't want to, but don't give bad advice to someone who might want to try it.
    Translation: people have been naive for thousands of years. Word of advice- advising others on "anecdotal" evidence isn't the best way to verify if something really works. Actual studies refute what you've stated.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Your colon cleanses itself. Drink plenty of water and eat enough fiber. Maybe have some yogurt or probiotic supplements if you feel you need to support the balance of 'good' bacteria in the area. Sorry but that area is 'exit only'. ;-). Also I'd be worried that messing with that area artificially could mess up the balance of natural bacteria that helps keep you regular... You can usually deal with bloating/digestion issues by adjusting your diet. Some people are more sensitive to certain foods.

This. I don't understand why people insist on thinking our bodies can't cleanse and detox themselves. How ever did we survive for thousands and thousands of years without all these things?

People HAVE been doing enemas for thousands of years. Not to mention the typical modern Western diet has de-EVOLVED into complete toxic crap. Toxins absolutely are stored in your colon, liver, kidneys and fat cells. I have been getting colonics for 20 years, because they work, tons of benefits and never a single problem! What the earlier poster said about skin it absolutely true. I used to suffer from chronic eczema, and nothing has kept it under control better than colonics (and good diet, of course). Do your research. If done by an IACT certified (this is important!) practitioner it is quite safe. I realize they are not for everyone, but don't be afraid of something you know nothing about. Don't do it if YOU personally don't want to, but don't give bad advice to someone who might want to try it.
    I think your right. We were not the generation to invent this.
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I did it a few years ago on a regular basis as it was supposed to be a good way to lose weight for various reasons. Some people swear by it but it did nothing for me. Guess I wasn't as full of crap as everyone says I am.
  • drcoleman
    drcoleman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason to have this done. There's no evidence that it does anything beneficial that your body doesn't do on its own, and it can actually be damaging. Bogus pseudoscience at best.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat healthy and drink lots of water?
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Okay, gang - thanks for the opinions. I'm not going to do it. It was more of a long-term curiosity, but truly I'm not that "backed up" - senna tea works well for me too.

I'll up my fiber a bit, maybe get some digestive enzymes from the health food store, and never mention this again. :)

Again, thanks for all the opinions.

:)
    Amy
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    Your colon cleanses itself. Drink plenty of water and eat enough fiber. Maybe have some yogurt or probiotic supplements if you feel you need to support the balance of 'good' bacteria in the area. Sorry but that area is 'exit only'. ;-). Also I'd be worried that messing with that area artificially could mess up the balance of natural bacteria that helps keep you regular... You can usually deal with bloating/digestion issues by adjusting your diet. Some people are more sensitive to certain foods.

I agree with the above...If you have inflammation of the gut you need to get to the root of the problem and fix it...For me I had to get off of all Aspartame and artificial sugar....I only use Stevia now...I had to incorporate probiotics in my diet too...
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Translation: people have been naive for thousands of years. Word of advice- advising others on "anecdotal" evidence isn't the best way to verify if something really works. Actual studies refute what you've stated.

[/b]

Actual studies SUPPORT what I'm saying as well. Like these: http://cleansecare.com/?p=20 http://www.i-act.org/Resources/Colonic_Irrigation_Historical_Review.pdf http://www.i-act.org/Resources/Walker Article for Reprint.pdf

The point is: plenty of people have used this method with great results. If you don't want to do it, DON'T.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Sweet -- sources from organizations that profit from colonics. :huh:

Here's a link to plethora of reputable, unbiased info in regard to colonics being unnecessary and potentially dangerous:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/gastro.html

:flowerforyou:
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options

Here's a link to plethora of reputable, unbiased info in regard to colonics being unnecessary and potentially dangerous:

quackwatch is a terrible website. They are very biased against anything alternative health. If you want misinformation, that's your site.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options

quackwatch is a terrible website. They are very biased against anything alternative health. If you want misinformation, that's your site.
    Never mind the reputable sources they use, right? Let's stick to citing info from companies and orgs that sell this ****. :huh:
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Never mind the reputable sources they use, right? Let's stick to citing info from companies and orgs that sell this ****. :huh:
    Well they would be a lot more knowledgeable than quackwatch but I would prefer clinical studies. Seeing that there are none for peppermint oil enemas there's no point in looking for them. But there is evidence that peppermint oil helps treat irritable bowel syndrome and other issues.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Well they would be a lot more knowledgeable than quackwatch but I would prefer clinical studies.
    They cite studies from Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, New England Journal of Medicine, Medical Journal of Australia, Journal of the American Medical Association, National Council Against Health Fraud, International Journal of Clinical Practice, the FDA and others.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    They cite studies from Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, New England Journal of Medicine, Medical Journal of Australia, Journal of the American Medical Association, National Council Against Health Fraud, International Journal of Clinical Practice, the FDA and others.
    The articles don't provide much knowledge on the topic. They are mostly issues of what can go wrong when ignorant people using the wrong and/or contaminated equipment can do. A lot of it is theory about what happened when a patient died such as on the gerson therapy where the doctor said Polymicrobial enteric septicemia(salmonella and Campylobacter) was from coffee enemas when it was obviously from contaminated raw liver juice.

It's basically as if the author searched PubMed for anything bad relating to colonics and threw it into the article.
  • cassienp
    cassienp Posts: 36
    Options
    I tried it for the first time yesterday. Not too impressed. And not pleasant.

Haha you are a brave man for admitting that.