UGH!!! Help!!

Options
Ok, really this is a vent more then asking advice but I'm always open to suggestions. About two weeks ago (7 weeks into my first round of Insanity) I tweaked my back pretty good and realized that I should prolly give myself a few days off to re-coop. I didn't work out for 3 entire days, no nothing, just rest. I started with low impact (elliptical work outs) for 30 minutes at a time from wed-sat and after feeling good at that point, ran a 5K on Sunday. Rest day on Monday and then went back to the elliptical again for one day before trying to start up a simple (JM 30DS level 1) weight day with a 30 min cardio on the elliptical. And last night, it happened again. About 4 hours after my workout, and in the middle of my Gov class, I felt the shooting pain down my legs, and the soreness in my lower back. I DID NOT over do my work out and was not in any way NEAR the level of training I had been used to before I tweaked it a week and a half ago. What gives?!?! Has anyone had to take some serious time off, like a week or more from training because of an injury, what did you do? I HATE not being able to go to the gym, it's my me time that I look forward to every day, but I also can't wake up every night in the middle of the night in excruciating pain because I can't get comfortable.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    see a doc... maybe its more than a tweek
  • jailee813
    jailee813 Posts: 29
    Options
    I went when it first happened, and being in the military I was given the standard - motrin and told to use heat. So I do, streaching, heat pad and take the motrin. I'm sure that's my best course of action, but I guess I'm wondering how long people usually take away from the gym... I obviously didnt' wait long enough. But I'm also confused because I starting feeling ok... even ok enough to run, but then the minute I go back to weights, it flares up again... should I just stick to cardio, or stop everything for a time?
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Definitely get it looked at. I am currently going through this and just thought oh its just a sore back it'll be fine. After nagging by husband and friends I went to the doc. Actually turned out I have protruding discs in my spine and need physio. don't assume anything and get everything checked out that is unusual for you
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm not exercise expert, quite the opposite actually, but it could be two things: either a particular exercise/movement is being done wrong and so you're getting injured as a result, you you have a problem that needs looking at and the exercise is aggravating it. Maybe ask a doc about the second option, and ask a personal trainer about the first option.

Bottom line is: if you're hurting yourself doing exercise, you HAVE to stop.
  • jailee813
    jailee813 Posts: 29
    Options
    How did they check for that... Its tought to get our docs to do anything unless it's been happening for a LONGGGGGG time... that's the only problem I see with trying to get a doctor to look into it.
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    my doc thought i just had muscular strain but sent me for a CT scan just to be sure. she was shocked that there was an actual problem. So basically a 10 min scan where you just lie still can show if there is anything wrong with the spine. can you insist the doc sends you for tests?
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options
    If your Doctor doesn't listen, keep pushing them or get another opinion.
    A friend had a similar problem with her leg, thought "just a strain" rest a few days started back into exercise...same pain went to doctor, told to go for xray. Results she had fractured her leg...she is now off exercises for 8 weeks minimum. Plus as she is a mature "goddess of knowledge" she may get arthritis in her leg just as a bonus :angry: .
    Don't ignore pain it is trying to tell you something, good luck :happy: