Exercise questions?

Options
1) How do I figure calories for a workout that has multiple levels?

today I pushed my son (35lbs) in the jogging stroller as I walked and ran a mountain trail loop. The trail is 4.5 miles and I did it in 58 minutes. The first mile is uphill the entire way so I walked that. the next 1.5 miles alternates flat and uphill and so I ran until I was too tired, walked (briskly) up the hills and then ran again. The last 2 miles I ran the whole way but they are either flat or downhill.

so. I averaged 12.8 min/mile, but I don't know how to chart it. because I know I burned more calories than I would have "jogging a 12 min mile" because there were so many hills and I was pushing my son the whole time.

What do you all do/

2) my boyfriend has a heartrate monitor. How do you figure calories burned by heartrate alone? Is that an accurate way to measure? What if you run "High". My brother, father and I all tend to tach when we exercise. Getting up past 170 is no big deal, and when I Feel like I'm "working" Ill be between 180-200. But I think I'm just built that way, so I'm afraid to claim I'm burning as many calories as my boyfriend burns when he tachs in the 180s. (he's an experienced runner and never gets above the 160s unless he's really pushing himself).

anyone have any ideas/opinions?

Replies

• LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    1) How do I figure calories for a workout that has multiple levels?

today I pushed my son (35lbs) in the jogging stroller as I walked and ran a mountain trail loop. The trail is 4.5 miles and I did it in 58 minutes. The first mile is uphill the entire way so I walked that. the next 1.5 miles alternates flat and uphill and so I ran until I was too tired, walked (briskly) up the hills and then ran again. The last 2 miles I ran the whole way but they are either flat or downhill.

so. I averaged 12.8 min/mile, but I don't know how to chart it. because I know I burned more calories than I would have "jogging a 12 min mile" because there were so many hills and I was pushing my son the whole time.

What do you all do/

2) my boyfriend has a heartrate monitor. How do you figure calories burned by heartrate alone? Is that an accurate way to measure? What if you run "High". My brother, father and I all tend to tach when we exercise. Getting up past 170 is no big deal, and when I Feel like I'm "working" Ill be between 180-200. But I think I'm just built that way, so I'm afraid to claim I'm burning as many calories as my boyfriend burns when he tachs in the 180s. (he's an experienced runner and never gets above the 160s unless he's really pushing himself).

anyone have any ideas/opinions?
  • lietee
    lietee Posts: 189 Member
    Options
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I looked a the activiy monitor. Have you tried it out your self? Just wondering how something that doesn't read your vitals can judge your activie from it's motion only.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    hmmmm, I'd be suspicious, this device sounds strange

Heart rate monitor is definitely better.

"...it will measure 'horizontal and vertical body acceleration,' a fancy way of saying your movements, and then convert those movements into calories burned"

Just think - let's say you were walking pushing a heavy pram - it would give you the same amount of calories as just walking. Or climbing stairs - the same with 30lbs backpack and without it. Also somebody in better shape burns less calories doing the same (this would give lower heart rate).