Your First 5K - Times?

Options
2»

Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    and 17minutes for a 5k run is a seriously fast pace. Very few people would get into the 17minute bracket
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Just go out and enjoy it! 5K's are a lot of fun. I walked/ran my first 5k a couple of years ago at 265 lbs in 49:49. Right now I'm trying to get under 25. I know I can. :smile: I'm going to do that in the next couple of months. Just keep running!
    Here's my progress... I waited a year before my next 5K. So this is my progress in one year.

The 22nd Ronald McDonald House of DE 5K -- 39:22
    7th Annual 5K Firefly Run/Walk -- 36:40 (2nd place in age group)
    Inaugural Middletown 150th Anniversary 5k -- 36:23
    Just Wing It Thunderbird 5K Run/Walk -- 31:07 (2nd place in age group)
    Grinch Gallop -- 29:48 (1st place in age group)
    Resolution 5K Run/Walk -- 30:54
    Cougars For A Cause 5K Run/Walk -- 28:41 (fastest so far .... 2nd place in age group)
    The Caesar Rodney Half Marathon -- 2:18:50
    The 23rd Ronald McDonald House of DE 5K -- 57:15 (walked/ran/carried grandkids)
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm in my last week of the C25K program and I'm running 5k in 33 minutes.

I think you just need to focus on being able to run the full 5k. The speed will take care of itself. If you can run the whole thing, then you will not come in last! :)
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I just did our first 5K last Sunday. Our goal? To finish. We figured once we got one under our belt, we would figure out how to challenge ourselves with the next one either time wise or inclines, etc. The fact that you are doing it is impressive all by itself. People ran past us, we ran past other people. Everyone waved at each other on the loop back. It was fun, encouraging, and you end up forgetting all about time until the end. Well except for the guy that finished like 10 minutes ahead of everyone else. But he was flying by so fast, he missed out on all the conversation and encouragement ;)
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'm in my last week of the C25K program and I'm running 5k in 33 minutes.

I think you just need to focus on being able to run the full 5k. The speed will take care of itself. If you can run the whole thing, then you will not come in last! :)

THIS
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Makes me feel much better then the forum I fell into on Runners World!

I would like to aim for about the 30 minute mark with no walking...I would be happy with anything under 40 though!

Yeah-the RR forums can be pretty brutal. I think a lot of the veterans troll the beginner's forum and bash people. This is a much friendlier site.
    Another thing-with the RR approach I was always worried about time and mileage. Since I've hung out here, I now just promise myself 30 minutes of running, at least 4 times a week. Some days are longer, some days are faster, but just getting down there and doing the damn thing is the point. It took so much pressure off I notice my mileage has gone way up (and my times are starting to go down).

Happy running!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My first ever 5K race was back in September 2011 and I did it in 37:55 and was sooooo pleased with that time, that was towards the end of the C25K program. My current PB 5K now stands at 28:40 that I did about 6 weeks ago. But I reckon I can break 28 minutes now which is a hell of an achievement for me :) don't worry about doing it in under 25 minutes, cos that is a quick time! You will get faster more you train and progress
  • josieandcasper
    josieandcasper Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k with my husband, 9yr old and 11 yr old:) We crossed together at 35:27 :heart:
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I run 5km as part of my cardio almost every other day. Been doing so since I finished C25K back in December.
    Ended up improving my 5k time from 34 minutes to 27 minutes within just a month (I also lost 5 lbs in the process) Current best is in my picture... it's from few weeks back.

It can be done if you are committed to it. Run HIITs, especially HIITs on a hill or incline. Try doing them in intervals of 3:1 work,rest ratio or 2:1 if that's easier for you. They've been tremendous for my endurance and speed.
  • Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Tupelo, MS, back in 1999, where I ran/walked it in 45 minutes. Frankly, I was stoked the wheelchairs didn't beat me. The big deal was accomplishing it, having never been a runner (despite having warmed the crap out of a bench in track in high school). Just hang in there and do it; don't worry about what the "hardcore" runners say. Read Runner's World magazine, but don't get caught up in the baloney on the forums. Compete with yourself only, and enjoy your progress as you defeat your "old" self. It can be amazing :)

I'm proud of you and wish you luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My first official 5K was the Army Run is Sep 2009 - chip time of just under 40 min, a year later ran the same race in 26:46 (was shooting for 25:00 but started out too fast and blew my brains out).
  • ciderface
    ciderface Posts: 8
    Options
    Hiya,
    Im a 'heavy runner' and have dipped in and out of running for a few years, my 5km time averages at about 35 mins. and thats with no walking breaks.
    I ran the London marathon last year and ran a terrible time, I was cross with myself and gave up running altogether. Ive put on tonnes of weight, am stuck in a rut mentally, so Ive entered the ballot for next years London marathon, and have started a training plan. So far this week Ive done 3 lots of 2 miles in approx 26 mins. Im feeling brighter already, so excersize can only be a positive.

If it means running to shift some pounds then running is what I'll do.

Relax about your time and enjoy it.

Ciderface
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I started running in January with a couch 2 5k program. My first 5K race was on St. Paddy's day... I ran it in 36:20.

My second 5K race was a few weeks ago, and I set a PR with 35:24.

I've got my third race two weeks from saturday - I'm hoping to get under 35 minutes.

Don't listen to the running zealots on the Runner's World forums... great magazine, toxic online community!

Don't worry about your time for your first race... enjoy the atmosphere, run a solid run - don't try to kill yourself - and set your own benchmark with the result of that race... THEN you can start to work on improving that time - if you feel like it.

For me, 5K was the original goal and I wanted to run it faster and faster... now that's secondary to running longer. I'm focusing on half marathon this year and marathon next year.

Most of all... enjoy the running!

Ted
  • michaeljdaly9
    Options
    I did a water aid charity run about a year ago. I hadn't trained for it at all but nether the less I went for it and I was surprised with how well I did. I ran it in under 20 minutes but I could round it up to 20 minutes from 19:34.
  • kathleenkilhefner
    Options
    How did you do on your 5k race?
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your first 5k time.

For the record, 39 minutes was my first 5k time. In the 18 months since then, I've put in about 800 miles of training runs, and my sprint triathlon 5k run time (done after an hour of biking/swimming) a few weeks back was 26 min.

Speed will come with time/practice.
  • jenEphur
    jenEphur Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k at around 325 pounds and walked most of it, finishing at 49ish minutes. I've been training for my second one in the last week of October, and I am down 25 pounds from that right now (300.0 baby...almost 299!). I'm hoping to run all of this 5k, even if I'm running at a speed so slow that I could walk faster, and finish in around 39 minutes.

Best of luck to you! I've been doing the 5k 101 podcasts, and they've been super helpful! I just did the second day of week 3, and walked 5 minutes (warmup), jogged 3 minutes/walked 2 minutes (5 times) and then ended with a 3-5ish minute cool down walk. It was a bit over 30ish minutes and I got a bit over 2 miles in. It's a program worth looking into!