MFP doesn't seem to be working

Options

Replies

• babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    As always some good (and some bad) advice here.
    I'd definitely say to find and or make the time to weigh food correctly and estimate correctly. As you say you may be over-estimating what you're eating (and the food nutrition database may be inaccurate due to being user generated) I'd advise you look closely at these areas. You may be eating under what you need.
    In addition I can't recommend enough monitoring your sodium at this stage, and making sure you're hitting your full 8 cups of water (2 litres over here) at least every day.
    Try to be more active - I know it's real hard at first and with the job you have, but you will feel better for it .This journey's for your health and well being, not the scales. So make time for yourself over your job and so on.
    ETA: - And yes MFP may be overestimating your calorie burns. If you can't afford a HRM try comparing to other sites' estimates and manually adapt it - type cals burned into the box. -
    And yes, do also take your measurements. There are online guides to help if you're still not sure what you're doing here.
    Also be patient. Starting off your body's not sure what's happening, and it takes a long while to get it accustomed to the changes you've made. You've got this!
  • Mawkish1983
    Mawkish1983 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Personally I would only record exercise calories for exercise above and beyond what you normally have to do for work etc. Sedentary doesn't mean comatose so a certain amount of commuting and everyday life moving about has already been accounted for. Try just recording calories you've burnt through going for a walk instead otherwise you may be double counting the benefits?
    That is certainly something I can try. I actually started to record absolutely all of my exercise because I wanted to 'cheat' a bit and eat some more, but given that the weight hasn't come off as I expected, I have learnt a lesson about the potential for cheaters to prosper.
  • Mawkish1983
    Options
    Firstly give it a bit longer.
    Will do.
    Secondly, consider whether you are eating enough. I think you are eating under your BMR (about 2,300?), which I have read is not advisable. I now always make sure I eat my BMR everyday
    MFP recommends I eat just over 2000 calories per day. My BMR is about 2300 calories. I am of the ilk that 'in for a penny, in for a pound'. I suspect if I was to eat more, I would lose weight more slowly. To be honest, I'd probably prefer not to have a discussion about the validity (or otherwise) of 'starvation mode' or the effect of diet and exercise on metabolism. My mind is a simple thing, and as I see it, if I consume more energy than I expend I will gain weight, if I consume less energy than I expend I will lose weight. The greater the difference, the greater the effect. For now, I'll stick with that philosophy.
    Thirdly, you are probably more active than you think ... I started to eat those extra calories the weight started to come off more quickly!
    If I consume more energy than I expend I will gain weight, if I consume less energy than I expend I will lose weight. The greater the difference, the greater the effect.
    Fourthly, invest in a fit bit. I know they are quite expensive, but it is the best investment I have made.
    I cannot afford one.
    Fifthly, some weeks I lose nothing. Some weeks I lose 2kg (I am set to be in 750 calorie deficit). Which comes back to my first point - give it a bit longer and be patient.
    Yep, I will do. Thank you for your advice.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    you haven't even given it a week. our body weight changes daily, so always try and weigh in on the same day. keep it going for a few weeks and you will see a difference!
  • Mawkish1983
    Options
    you may be over-estimating what you're eating (and the food nutrition database may be inaccurate due to being user generated) I'd advise you look closely at these areas.
    I suspect this is the case, good call.
    You may be eating under what you need.
    In which case, I would expect lose weight faster.
    In addition I can't recommend enough monitoring your sodium at this stage
    I'm not usually so bad with salt, but I'm curious about the link between salt and weight loss. I understand the health benefits of cutting out salt, but I cannot see how a reduction in salt will help me lose weight. I am not saying you are wrong, certainly not! I am just curious about what the link is (please don't think I am being dismissive).
    [make] sure you're hitting your full 8 cups of water (2 litres over here) at least every day.
    Yes, we use litres here too (we may even be in the same country). I have recently taken to drinking peppermint tisane (without sugar, obviously, just infusion and water). It's very tasty and helps me make sure I am drinking enough water. As a teacher, I tend to drink water a lot anyway because otherwise my throat would become unbearably painful.
    Try to be more active - I know it's real hard at first and with the job you have, but you will feel better for it .
    Agreed, this is an area I simply must work on.
    This journey's for your health and well being, not the scales. So make time for yourself over your job and so on.
    True. I'm just trying to postpone death by a few more years before the inevitable shadow hands of fate grasp me in the night and drag me to the abyss of oblivion, whereupon my very essence of being will cease to exist and all perception of the joys and pains of this world will hault forever.
    MFP may be overestimating your calorie burns... try comparing to other sites' estimates and manually adapt it
    I like this advice. If I find time, I will do so.
    take your measurements.
    I will see about doing so tonight, should I remember.
    be patient
    This is another area I must work on. Thank you for reminding me and thank you for all the good advice.
  • Mawkish1983
    Options
    you haven't even given it a week. our body weight changes daily, so always try and weigh in on the same day
    As body weight fluctuates so much, wouldn't making measurements more often increase the resolution of data and, hence, improve the reliability of any trends that are identified? I just have my physics hat on
  • mrseelmerfudd
    Options
    you haven't even given it a week. our body weight changes daily, so always try and weigh in on the same day
    As body weight fluctuates so much, wouldn't making measurements more often increase the resolution of data and, hence, improve the reliability of any trends that are identified? I just have my physics hat on

No, body weight fluctuates due to water weight, and all other sorts of different things. for example- a few years ago i weighed in on a wednesday- and then weighed on the sunday, and was 5lb heavier on the sunday, but when it got back to the wednesday again, i had actually lost 3lb to the previous week. every day is different, which is why so many people say weigh the same day and same time. its more reliable to weigh the same day and time as its more reliable- like keeping a control in an experiment- if we have to go down the scientific route.
  • Mawkish1983
    Options
    if we have to go down the scientific route.
    Okay, I see what you are saying, but the week on week, day on day (and, if we take it to the extreme, maybe even hour on hour) fluctuations can be observed and taken into account if we record that data. Over a long period of time a more accurate regression can be calculated if we have more data: statistically that seems to make sense to me. I accept and conceed that day on day the weight may appear to fluctuate by many pounds, but the overall trend can be better identified with a higher temporaral resolution of data.

Just a thought. This might be the worst thing a dieter can do, and your advice might be spot-on 100% correct. I'm just struggling with understanding why choosing a set time every seven days (which seems fairly arbitrary to me) is better than measuring yourself daily.

Sorry :s
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I use a phone app called "Libra" that does a weighted moving average calculation to plot weight trends, so I weigh daily and plug the numbers into that.

I always wonder if these calorie estimates from gadgets, apps and gym machines are gross or net - do they take account of the fact that you would have been using 50 - 80 calories an hour lying down ? So is 240 calories burned in an hour 240 extra or (240 - RMR) ?
  • jennibell81
    jennibell81 Posts: 61
    Options
    Don't give up! I've started on here on March 5, 2012 and I've only lost 12 lbs so far. Not the 2 lbs a week I was wanting but 12 lbs is 12lbs. Slow and steady wins the race! I've found that each week my body is different in weight loss. The scale can go up a few pounds or go down a few. Don't just go by the scales alone, maybe weigh yourself every 2 weeks instead of every week. Also, DRINK WATER lots of it!!!:drinker: JUST DON'T GIVE UP!!
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    1. How are you weighing yourself? I weigh myself on Sat. after I do 1 and 2. Pants belt and keys weigh a lot. You have to be consistent in the beginning on you weigh-ins.
    2. What is your sodium intake looking like? Make sure you rinse your tuna and if you buy can goods get the veggies that are in water.
    3.What type of Cardio are you doing? Personal I've had more success with taking a walk around the block than any crazy workout video or a gym membership.
  • agatronmeows
    agatronmeows Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im sure others have posted but my 2 cents is maybe weight yourself only once a week, or every other week. I hardly ever weight myself, i measure myself every 2-3 weeks and it really shows my progress more. Also, if you find that maybe 2000 is too high maybe customise it down to about 1800. Its not that much but since men should consume 2200-2500 it might make a bigger change. You also dont want to starve yourself so if you feel like you're ender eating and feeling super hungry then eat.

I eat a lot too so sometimes thats easier said than done. So what i do is when my body said "go eat something" or i have a craving. To tell if im actually hungry or craving i drink 1 big glass of water and wait 15 mins. If im still hungry i make a small snack that will fill me up but wont make me feel guilty. tbh im a noob so i hope any of this helps :p
  • clareeast
    clareeast Posts: 64
    Options
    A couple of things:

You asked about sodium: Salt encourages the body to retain water - cut the salt, lose the water! And you be amazed how much that water weighs! Don't cut it out completely though, the body needs a little to operate efficiently.

You set your activity level as sedentary. Have you tried upping the level - you are at least "lightly active" - and not adding back the calories for your normal daily movements? Try to do some additional exercise where you can, and add those calories back.

I say at least lightly active - I used to be a high school librarian and walked huge distances some days, just in the normal nature of my job - from the library to the staff room and back was a quarter of a mile and I did that at least four times each day. When I was required to cover classes in our physics block that was at least as far again! I would often run errands round the school myself, rather than sending a student. My pedometer some days clocked up 25000 steps!

You also said you were (over-)estimating calories consumed at lunchtime. Unless you are lucky enough to get lunch at school for free (I never did!), would it make more sense to take a packed lunch? Then you know exactly what's in it and can accurately assess the calories: A sandwich, a salad, and several pieces of fruit (the occasional packet of crisps or a biscuit, too, if you really want) should keep you going!

The only sure-fire way to lose weight (and keep it off) is to eat less and move more, but getting the balance right between eating and moving can take several weeks to perfect. Keep trying - you will achieve!!
  • Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I saw a post a few fays ago.
    a woman started using MFP at 202 pounds.
    Some months later she weighed 203 pounds, (so heavier). But she was half of the size, and very toned.
    The scales are evil! Ignore them. MFP does work!
    I recommend taking measurements and a "before" photo. Stick at it for a month, and your guarantee'd to of lost atleast a cm over the month! (even if you stay the same weight).

If instead you have gained "size", at the end of the month. Then i would say it is time to start evaluating what your doing wrong..
  • mrseelmerfudd
    Options
    ok, ill put it another way. when you weighed in a few days after your orignal weigh in, tell us what you were honestly expecting to see the scales to show? a few lbs? please be honest
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain it overnight (so to speak) so it will take time to lose it. Don't be discouraged, it will happen if your calorie intake is set right and you stick with it.
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    For the last few days it has given me a figure of about 350calories, which increases my calorie intake limit to about 2350; marginly less than the 2500 calorie RDA for males.

Don't forget the figure you see on MFP already includes a deficit, you said you want to loose 2lb per week so MFP will have already deducted 1000 cals per day from your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). TDEE is BMR * activity level (1.2 for sedentary). 2500 recommended is averaged over all men, as a tall guy with some weight to loose, yours will be somewhat higher than that. Best to leave it as is for now and see what happens over a whole week, two weeks, month. If after a month your weight isn't dropping, then maybe adjust your target cals a bit and see what happens.
  • jojule
    jojule Posts: 10
    Options
    I would say hang in there. If you follow your plan and dont cheat the ponds will come off. I lost a significant amount of weight last year,45 pounds,and the first week is the hardest. I stuck with it and eventually after a couple of weeks clothes fit better and then weight started coming off at a good clip.I stayed at a maintenance level for the past 6 months and I am now back on the plan to lose aliitle more.You can do it,just make sure,esp in the beginning that you pay attention to portion size.Sometimes you tend to overestimate the portions. Good luck.
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You may be eating under what you need.
    In which case, I would expect lose weight faster.

Logically yes. In reality, perhaps not. This is a highly contentious topic; lurk more on the forum and you'll learn. I can only attest to my own experience for sure, and I've found by increasing my calories; including net, I've dropped more. The body is like a machine, it needs fuel to function best. That analogy works for me.
    In addition I can't recommend enough monitoring your sodium at this stage
    I'm not usually so bad with salt, but I'm curious about the link between salt and weight loss. I understand the health benefits of cutting out salt, but I cannot see how a reduction in salt will help me lose weight. I am not saying you are wrong, certainly not! I am just curious about what the link is (please don't think I am being dismissive).

Could be broscience but again I've found that my body stores extra weight 'water weight' on a higher sodium intake.
    True. I'm just trying to postpone death by a few more years before the inevitable shadow hands of fate grasp me in the night and drag me to the abyss of oblivion, whereupon my very essence of being will cease to exist and all perception of the joys and pains of this world will hault forever.

Touché.

Added you as a friend. I also teach (as part of my PhD) so I have some understanding of the difficulties of your work and it's impact on your lifestyle. We also have in common the fact that I, one day apparently will die.
  • LostScarecrow
    LostScarecrow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm slightly misunderstanding how this all works, but when you choose "sedintary" does that still include an estimation of how many calories are burnt from your day to day activity. So if your adding calories based on general movement, are they not *also* taken into account by MFP anyway? Like I said, I'm not sure about that, but could it be you're essentially adding exercise that is already accounted for?

Added you as a friend. I also teach (as part of my PhD) so I have some understanding of the difficulties of your work and it's impact on your lifestyle. We also have in common the fact that I, one day apparently will die.

I plan to live forever. Or die trying.