English to USA Translations

Options

Replies

• fionaface
    fionaface Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My mother is British, and even though she has lived in the United States for a little more than four decades now since marrying my dad, she still has a strong accent. Everything she says sounds awesome and fun!!!
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hahaha this thread is funny! Ok my favourites are the differences in insults.

For example.... wanker & douche!

I was working with a couple of Americans and they had gone out & somebody called one of them a wanker, they asked me what it means.. Wank = *kitten*.... so a wanker is somebody who masturbates. They laughed and told me it was a stupid insult!! This coming from a nation who uses douche for an insult!! Err hellooo... douche means shower! Lol!

Haha douche in America is basically an enema for your vagina.
  • jennafluff
    jennafluff Posts: 54
    Options
    Question for the British: What do you call the cart you put your groceries in while shopping? We have a few variations between northern and southern US. In the north, it is either carriage or shopping cart. In the south I have heard people call them buggies.

In Nz we call them a trolley!!!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I love when people call trash rubbish... sounds so much better!

I had an English co-worker who'd tell her physical therapy (physiotherapy) pt's to "have a lie"... somehow it rubbed off and I started saying it. Funny thing was that when she said it with her accent, no one questioned it... but my patients would all comment on it when I said it!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Fannie.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Cookie - biscuit
    zucchini - courgette
    eggplant - aubergine

It's the first time I notice that the UK uses many of the same words as we would in French (for all those that don't speak French, you've just learned 3 words!). Same goes for the post about hearing the word "niche" in a business meeting...yep, there is no "t" in there: it's niche (pronounced neech).

Only spent 1 day in the UK in my life, so I can't contribute much here, but I'm having a few laughs reading this thread!
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha

I'm from Chile, I'm a translator.... In college I had to learn both the british and the us way, I had a huuuge list of words, now the only one I can remember (because it's really late and I'm sleepy) is:

condom=rubber
    rubber = eraser

• jennafluff
    jennafluff Posts: 54
    Options
    Here in Nz we have judder-bars.
    you know those lumps of tarseal they put on the road to slow traffic down?
    what do you call them?
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    posh = sophisticated
    pub = bar
    band-aid = plaster?
    have on = joke with
    way out = exit

Now just imaging you are from the states and you have landed at Gatwick and you are looking for an exit sign just like all the exit signs you've seen in the airports back home. You walk around the airport several time and you see these signs that say "way out" but that couldn't be it could it. Finally you find some kind looking gentlemen and ask him how to exit the airport. He looks around and points you to the "way out" sigh not 10 feet away from where you are standing.

I finally get to my hotel room and ordered room service. My drink was a coke. It arrived in a bottle. I haven't seen a coke in a bottle in decades. I need a bottle opener. I call down to the front desk for a bottle opener because I can't find one on the tray. Oh no ma'am the bottle opener is mounted in the bathroom. It never occurred to me to look into the bathroom.

Next morning after my shower I'm looking for the hair dryer I don't find it in the bathroom. Call down to the front desk there is because I can't find the dryer in the bathroom. Oh no ma'am there isn't sufficient power in the bathroom for the hair dryer the hair dryer is in the desk dryer and you'll have to dry your hair at the desk.

After getting dressed I went down the hotel restaurant for breakfast. The waitress asked me did I want bacon or American bacon for breakfast? It sounded to me that bacon was what I think Canadian bacon so I ordered American bacon.

Later that night I went to an Italian restaurant and ordered Iced tea. I didn't know that the making of iced tea was going to require 3 waiters and involve the shaker used for mixed drinks but hey they got the job done and it was a fine glass of iced tea. It was better than the slightly warm pepsi with lemon that my dining companion received.

It was quite an experience and one I hope I can repeat some day. I didn't know it at the time but I purchased books while there that I could not have purchased here in the USA.

As for the names of meals, I have noticed quite a bit of variation based on depending on the part of the USA/state you happen to be in

For example, growing up in the Texas: Breakfast, Dinner, Supper & Breakfast, Supper, Dinner (different parts of the state)
    Living in California: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
    Military: Chow, Chow, Chow
    Living in Arizona: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Speed bumps = judder bars
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    NZ - US

bench - kitchen counter
    chilly bin - ice chest
    lounge - living room
  • jgsinfw
    jgsinfw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that nobody here on MFP has noticed the differences between US and UK definitions for FIT :)

US = in good physical health / active / athletic
    UK (to my understanding) = physically attractive

So in the US, I am fit, but in the UK, I am not.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    what do you call them?

Speed bumps
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    NZ - US

bench - kitchen counter

I play Sims FreePlay and one of the tasks is to buy a "Bench" - a bench in the US is something you sit on - there's a lot of discussion of this task online since everyone is buying sitting benches and not getting credit for the task until someone translates for the US folks!
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Later that night I went to an Italian restaurant and ordered Iced tea. I didn't know that the making of iced tea was going to require 3 waiters and involve the shaker used for mixed drinks but hey they got the job done and it was a fine glass of iced tea.

Ha! Yes, for a nation of tea drinkers we still haven't quite got to grips with the 'iced tea' concept! Well, we understand the concept, I don't understand why you'd want to drink it :laugh:
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    BLIMEYYYY!
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Um,

OK these are the things I'm told make me not English/British (even though I am):

I don't like bacon
    I hate chip butties
    Iced tea kicks *kitten*, normal tea is minging!
    I don't like fried breakfasts

:ohwell:
  • shannairl
    shannairl Posts: 65
    Options
    Um,

OK these are the things I'm told make me not English/British (even though I am):

I don't like bacon
    I hate chip butties
    Iced tea kicks *kitten*, normal tea is minging!
    I don't like fried breakfasts

:ohwell:

I sympathise - I'm Irish and I HATE Guinness, rarely drink tea and am not the world's biggest fan of potatoes. Blasphemy!
  • melianne125
    melianne125 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    what do you call them?

speed bumps (In rural GA)
  • melianne125
    melianne125 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    also Tea (in rural GA) is iced tea with sugar (or sweetener)