Low Carbers Only

Options

Replies

• concerto3
    concerto3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    We are Paleo. I have lost 52lbs and continue to lose consistently, Fiance has gained 25lbs of muscle. I would highly recommend "low" carb to anyone and everyone. I have never felt better in my life, but you have to be prepared to make a full lifestyle change, but trust me that it is most definitely for the better, and will give you the best life and health you can imagine! Cut out the grains and watch your health improve! Keep eating healthy fruits and veggies in moderation, (I eat about 20-30g of carbs on the average day, never more than 50, often much much less) Stock up on healthy fats, good quality protein, cut out the processed crap and you cannot go wrong.
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I try to limit to 90ish Some days I am over, some under. And I control calories with MFP. That is what works for me. In April I lost just under 10 pounds. My first month of low carb I did under 50/day and lost 19 pounds without controlling calories. But it is not a diet I could sustain -so, over the next month, I experimented with the numbers and found I felt GREAT and lost weight with calorie control and lower carbs. When I don't control carbs I could eat 500 calories and still not lose. That is me.
  • hummingbirdxss
    hummingbirdxss Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Here's a fail story. I did Atkins back in 2003 to lose weight for my wedding. I lost about 50 pounds and I felt great. After the wedding I went back to eating like I used to and not only gained it all back but added a ton more on top of it. In fact, I ended up weighing 73 pounds heavier than my starting weight (so gained 123 pounds). I gained back the 58 lbs within about a year and half. And then it just kept coming.

I didn't exercise though when I was losing and I was in complete denial when the weight started to return.

That's not a story of low carb failing though. Just as any change, if you don't keep up with it, you will go back.

Definition of Insanity.....Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Check out the Low Carb Group. You'll find great information, lots of support for low carbers, and some fantastic dinner ideas too !

:heart:
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Here's a fail story. I did Atkins back in 2003 to lose weight for my wedding. I lost about 50 pounds and I felt great. After the wedding I went back to eating like I used to and not only gained it all back but added a ton more on top of it. In fact, I ended up weighing 73 pounds heavier than my starting weight (so gained 123 pounds). I gained back the 58 lbs within about a year and half. And then it just kept coming.

I didn't exercise though when I was losing and I was in complete denial when the weight started to return.

That's not a story of low carb failing though. Just as any change, if you don't keep up with it, you will go back.

Definition of Insanity.....Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Check out the Low Carb Group. You'll find great information, lots of support for low carbers, and some fantastic dinner ideas too !

Agreed...there's many variables in this story that resulted in the "fail"...not the atkins diet alone....It's not for everyone this is for sure...the individual has to make the right decisions that will help him/her reach the goal
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Agreed...there's many variables in this story that resulted in the "fail"...not the atkins diet alone....It's not for everyone this is for sure...the individual has to make the right decisions that will help him/her reach the goal

It's definitely of a low-carb failure story. I couldn't keep to a low-carb deprivation for the rest of my life. It resulted in me gaining back all my weight plus some. I suspect many people are unable to stick to a low carb diet for life. Are there people successful doing it? Sure. But I would never do it again. Especially when there is really no reason (for me) to. I'd be insane to do it again. :)

To each their own... just thought I'd share my experience.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    One thing people don't realize when doing low carb is that there is a several pound "bloat" that you will lose when first introducing the diet. If you eat carbs, you will gain that "bloat" back in a day or two of bingeing on carbs. Then when you cut carbs out again, you'll lose the bloat again. You could gain and lose the same 3-8 lbs repeatedly if you don't stick to the diet.

I started ketogenic in January. Lost 8lbs in the first week. I've been a little shoddy lately, with the carb intake and last week I gained and lost the same 3 lbs. But I always get back on that horse and keep plodding along, and the weight keeps falling off when I'm TRULY DEDICATED.

I think the reason a lot of people gain the weight back is because they "reach their goal" and then start eating exactly as they did before they lost the weight. MAINTENANCE is the key.

On a side note: some people have a hard time going through carb withdrawal. For me, cutting out carbs for me was like a blind person seeing for the first time. My mind and body function at a much more efficient level. Keeping that experience forefront in my mind has helped me make MUCH better decisions when it comes to food. Though I have to say, dinners out are still my nemesis....
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm a low carber! I eat low carb for health reasons and the weight loss is a side benefit. It's cleared up yeast issues and hypoglycemia. I was on a bad path. Diabetes runs in my family and I knew I needed to fix my eating habits. I will eat low carb for life. I used to eat around Atkins induction levels but now I eat around 60-75 grams a day. Weight loss is slower but I'm cool with that.

I wish it wasn't such a heated topic around here. It's not for everyone but it's certainly for me.

Good luck to your husband!
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

That sucks
  • Mikaylarae27
    Mikaylarae27 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started Atkins in March of 2008, that was 100+ pounds ago. I documented the entire journey on my blog...

http://www.theurbanprimate.com

Since 2011 when I started doing long course endurance events (Ironman, etc,) I increased my carb intake. I am hungry all of the time and 10 pounds heavier. I can maintain easily on low-carb with typical 60-90 minute workouts. However, fueling for 3-4+ hour workouts is a challenge.

I would prefer to just stay low-carb because I feel better and generally not as hungry. Having said that, my nutrition plan right now is a work in progress. Trying to balance fueling for endurance events and being careful not to over do it is something I am learning still.

If you look in the upper right hand corner of my blog you will see several links that have the basics of Atkins on it. The key to success is to follow the plan to the letter. The first 3-5 days can be pretty uncomfortable, atkins flu, but it gets better quickly and not craving carby, sugary foods is awesome.
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There are some health risks associated with a no carb diet, such as potassium issues. Apparently the heart needs potassium to function correctly. I can't remember the details, so perhaps Google it.

I tried Atkins, but why go no carb, when you can go low carb. I cut out sugar, pasta, white rice, potatoes, but I still eat lots of vegetables and occasional fruit, which I believe, for Vitamins and minerals, are vitally important. That's low carb enough for me to be losing weight, not feeling bloated, not having any more sugar cravings, and eliminating a yeast problem I had for many years. And I still eat bread, yeast free and wholemeal, a couple of slices a day.

So my opinion is low carb is GREAT, its working for me and for the first time I don't have uncontrollable food cravings. But I don't believe no carb is healthy, or necessary. The actual bottom line is more about overall calorie consumption and expenditure.

ETA: I also don't like the "you can eat as much lard and protein as you like" approach. It still promotes gorging and lack of control if you really think about it. If you want fats, why not Flaxseed oil (omega 3), olive oil, avocados, coconut oil (good vitamins, minerals, and anti-inflammatories) etc. (not margarine though - a processed, trans fats filled fake food)
  • bbellcoach
    bbellcoach Posts: 1
    Options
    It works, but do it right. It must be a lifestyle change. You can reintroduce a variety of carbs later on, but must keep within guidelines. If not you will regain weight. He could consider a diabetic diet or low glycemic that is more wellrounded. Getting off sugar really has helped me.
    Just remember....lowfat foods are always higher in carbs. Adkins is a definate mindshift than what we hear all the time.
    My personal opinion on obesity epidemic is.....the low fat food push without the encouragement to combine it with exercise. Carbs are used to energize and fuel your body, if you are not burning those carbs they metabalize into fat. The more carbs you eat the more you have to exercise.
    Learn as much as you can and do it! Good Luck!
  • FavDaughter1
    Options
    One of the other things you have to watch when you do low carb is fiber intake! I find that when I cut out whole grain breads, etc. I have trouble meeting my daily fiber intake from just veggies. This is why I am only doing LC for 3 months to kick start my plan, and then I will slowly incorporate complex carbs back in to the picture. For now, breakfast is 2 hard boiled eggs & plain nonfat greek yougurt with a tsp of honey. (I also still drink my nonfat lattes from Starbucks!). For lunch and dinner I do a lean protein and a veggie. No potatoes, rice, etc. I do also try to eat 1 piece of fruit per day (love mangos, pears, but no bananas!) and usually I will have a 100 calorie pack of almonds. I am trying to keep my caloies around 1300/day to start, then will slowly increase that as I increase my activity levels. I am working out 4 X week: 2 of those with personal trainer doing 1 hr weight / circuit training and the other 2 where I do an hour of cardio on the elliptical. I just started back on this recently, and have lost 4 pounds, with 80 to go!!!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Been on this journey for 14 1/2 months, a serious low carber for a year with a huge emphasis on exercise.

page.jpg
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There are some health risks associated with a no carb diet, such as potassium issues. Apparently the heart needs potassium to function correctly. I can't remember the details, so perhaps Google it.

I tried Atkins, but why go no carb, when you can go low carb. I cut out sugar, pasta, white rice, potatoes, but I still eat lots of vegetables and occasional fruit, which I believe, for Vitamins and minerals, are vitally important. That's low carb enough for me to be losing weight, not feeling bloated, not having any more sugar cravings, and eliminating a yeast problem I had for many years. And I still eat bread, yeast free and wholemeal, a couple of slices a day.

So my opinion is low carb is GREAT, its working for me and for the first time I don't have uncontrollable food cravings. But I don't believe no carb is healthy, or necessary. The actual bottom line is more about overall calorie consumption and expenditure.

ETA: I also don't like the "you can eat as much lard and protein as you like" approach. It still promotes gorging and lack of control if you really think about it. If you want fats, why not Flaxseed oil (omega 3), olive oil, avocados, coconut oil (good vitamins, minerals, and anti-inflammatories) etc. (not margarine though - a processed, trans fats filled fake food)

Not to pick at you but based on your reply you have never been on an Atkins diet. At no point would Atkins suggest zero carb, unlimited protein and lard. There are also lots of sources for potassium that do not require you to eat a "balanced" diet. Atkins done properly is nutrient rich diet that should include large amounts of vegetables.

I think this board is a living testimony of dieting "Fails" not limited to Atkins but several planned and failed experiences. Find a plan that fits your lifestyle that you can live with long term and do that. No way would I suggest that Atkins worked for me so that is what everyone should do.

ETA: Atkins does not encourage eating as much as you want of anything. If you have read the book it is made very clear that you should "eat until you are satiated". This does not mean to stop when you are full or stuffed but to stop when you are no longer hungry.
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input yall! We are going to do low carb together. We both need to lose weight. I am diabetic so it will benefit me more. I know that I can get the fiber and potassium through veggies. If not, I will add a fiber supplement.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Low-carb should not be called a "diet" its misleading. It implies you can lose the weight then go back to eating carbs (even healthy) and keep the weight off

Low-carb is a lifestyle change. If you dont stick to the low carb thing for the rest of your life the weight will come back with a vengeance. There may be corner cases here and there that dont, but thats with any change there will be some.

I lost 52 lbs a couple of years back doing adkins. Kept it off to.. However addding in carbs (just wheat breat, some potatoes, ect) nothing overboard and I gained the 52 back plus another 24).

I am now doing the eat more to lose weight change, because after adkins, i started trying to eat low cal (1200 calories a day), lost some then just plateaued.

Now I eat 3100 calories a day (all healthy), about 150g carbs, and 300g of protein and now the inches are starting to come off.
  • ck1416
    ck1416 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sure you don't want to hear a Low Carb Epic Fail story? I know one...

^^yeah, me too.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i have had low carb success -- been doing it since Nov 1 and have lost 77 pounds in six months

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

You look fabulous!!!
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been on Paleo (no grains, no dairy, no legumes) for a couple of months! I lost almost 10 pounds the first month. I don't get as tired as I used to after meals and I don't have any stomach issues or bloating that I once had. It was hard at first, I instinctively kept trying to open the fridge while setting the table for dinner, in an attempt to pore a glass of milk. I eventually got used to almond milk and now dairy milk tastes too sweet.

I say try it! If what you're doing now isn't working, what will trying something different hurt? With the internet and pinterest.com, there are SO many awesome recipes and tips to help you find enough to eat, be happy, and reach your goals!

Good Luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!