Looking for some buddies!

Options
I started on MFP about two weeks ago and I have been consistent with logging food/ exercise. Although I think I do a pretty good job, I would love some people to push me to do better. Any advice is appreciated- I think I may be eating too few calories, I know I need to weight train, I def. don't drink enough water...so a little kick in the pants will go a long way.

A little background-

I was a three-sport athlete in high school and coach thereafter. Ran up to 10 miles/day, lifted, etc. so I am no stranger to hard work and I understand most of the science behind it.
Now, exercise is an absolute chore. I went a good 3 years around the birth of my son without doing anything, but I am trying really hard to get back in the swing.

Not necessarily looking to lose weight, but for sure need to tone up...bad.

I am:

31 yr old female
5' 6"
124 lbs
Bf 22%

I currently jog about 5 times/week ( I use iFit live on my treadmill) for about 30-40 minutes. I know I am just getting started, but for someone who used to run a 7 minute mile, it is pretty discouraging to only manage a 15 minute mile.

So...is anyone up for the challenge? My diary is open, so as long as you are not cruel, I can take (and appreciate) the feedback!

Would love to gain some buddies on here to help motivate me :)

Replies

• bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am down to help. I also need some motivation and support. I am trying to get back into this.
  • kathleen0702
    Options
    any motivation is good motivation right? im happy to support anyone who can support me.
  • AbbyHoopi
    AbbyHoopi Posts: 48
    Options
    Sounds similar to me... 4 sport athlete in HS... NEVER stopped going. I was about 100 lbs when I was in college... I got a job gained a few... got married and gained a few more... had a baby and gained a BUNCH more. :( I am now hovering between 130 and 135 at 5'3". I am working my behind off to get down to at least 120ish. Add me if you want some encouragement!:)
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You've got way better eating habits than I do xD I only started yesterday but it can be clearly seen that I've got a lot missing there. And I'm happy to support even if I just started x)
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :) I was looking for the purchase info the other day for my husband's exercise bike, it has the iFit and I was going to try it out but no luck :( Anyway, welcome and good luck!!!
  • Loreleirosco
    Options
    I too am just getting started on MFP. While not as young as you, it is never too late or too early to address our health. What I'm finding is that by having a group of individuals that are engaged in addressing their daily health, I'm motivated to keep up my part of the accountable behavior(s). I also have extra weight from childbirth, however my baby turns 40 on my birthday this month....so I guess that excuse is getting "rusty".

Keep up the good work.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I was also a 3 sport in HS, then I blew out my knee but stayed very active. I gained 60lbs due to medication which I am now off of but I needed to lose 30lbs before the gain. I'm to the point now that if I don't exercise I get grouchy so feel free to friend me.

Maybe this will help to, I've had two knee surgeries and back surgery but I still do weights 3x/week, ride horses 2x/week and strictly cardio once/week. And I do 40 min of cardio along with my weight days. I do take one day off to just be lazy.

This may seem silly to some but I watch TV while I'm doing my cardio and have it on as white noise while doing weights. It really helps the time pass more quickly.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    Thanks everybody!! This is EXACTLY why I wanted some buddies...so encouraging!

Please feel free to check out my diary and let me know what you think. I am extremely hard on myself and that is usually what leads to my downfall. I obsess over being perfect and because that is so unrealistic, eventually I quit. I have this mind set of "why do it if you're not going to do it right?" Guess that's the athlete in me :) I definitely need some peeps to remind me that this is a lifestyle change and part of that is slipping a little!

I will also do my best to support you all (don't worry, I only expect perfection from myself!)

Thanks, buddies!!
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My, I know exactly what you mean by obsessing over being perfect. I've tried diets before but none really worked because I didn't feel encouraged by my surroundings. We can do it with MFP :)
  • mturgeon05
    Options
    That's right!!! Here's to being realistic and successful :smile:
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like, I do a lot of running and going to start my riding as soon as the weather is more consistent
  • mturgeon05
    Options
    Sounds similar to me... 4 sport athlete in HS... NEVER stopped going. I was about 100 lbs when I was in college... I got a job gained a few... got married and gained a few more... had a baby and gained a BUNCH more. :( I am now hovering between 130 and 135 at 5'3". I am working my behind off to get down to at least 120ish. Add me if you want some encouragement!:)

Do you find yourself thinking you can do the things you used to be able to and then getting really discouraged when you can't??? I have the same mind set, but none of the motivation! It's so weird to me that I went from being SO active to nothing at all. I think I burned myself out...haha.