Coffee

Options

Replies

• caitlinmcauley
    Options
    i love my coffee! couldnt get through the week with out it. i get it with skim milk and splenda or truvia, whatever i have on me. doesnt taste as good as with cream and sugar, but its better for me.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    The current medical view (based on the articles I read in the popular press) is that a moderate amount of coffee is fine, even good for brain function. I'd be more concerned about the artificially sweetened creamer, but as you probably don't have much every day, I wouldn't worry about it.

I gave up sugar in my coffee years ago, but I have to have some dairy in it.

I can't manage in the morning without some coffee and lowfat milk. I've recently been doing a guided meditation exercise. It's 30 minutes, so a few times I've tried to do it as soon as I wake up. On the occasions I've done it without coffee I have had much more difficulty maintaining my focus.
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking coffee??!!
    Omg my world would collapse round about me if I couldn't have my coffee. :tongue:
  • all54
    all54 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are so right"......coffee is not to be played with. It's a human right!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Coffee has its own category in my food diary. That's how important it is to me. Booze has its own category, too. I have my priorities sorted.
  • keekee1804
    keekee1804 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    As people mentioned above, I also cannot and will not give up coffee! I use Florida Crystals Organic Cane (tastes just like the "real" sugar) and regular Hood 1/2 and 1/2. Using the "healthier" sugar makes me feel more at ease about drinking it, but I can't drink it black, so the 1/2 and 1/2 stays!

Feel free to add me (:
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    I did give up coffee....well for the most part. I do treat myself to a homemade mocha frappuccino on Sunday mornings. I've tried several times to develop the taste for it black and just can't get there. I was recently diagnose with diabetes and high blood pressure. According to what I've read the caffeine can contribute to insulin resistance and also increase my blood pressure. This helped me to realize that I may be better off doing without so I can be healthier. But I will continue to enjoy my Sunday mocha frapp. At only 55 calories I think it is a wonderful alternative/treat.

Here is how I make it
    8 oz Unsweetened Almond Milk (40 calories)
    2 Tbsp Hershey's sugar free syrup (15 calories)
    1 rounded tsp of Folgers instant coffee
    1 packet of Stevia
    4 ice cubes

I don't own a scale. I will wait for my next doctor visit later this month to see if I am doing well with that. But I can say I sleep VERY well. I have little or no cravings now that I have my blood sugar level during the days. I am a lot clearer in my thinking, too.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I still have coffee but instead of milk and two sugars, I now have black coffee no sugar. I tried having milk and sweetener (yuk), milk and no sweetening at all, but having black and no sugar was the best option for me. I really like it now :-) I save heaps of calories to "spend" on other stuff
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    NO WAY AM I GIVING UP MY COFFEE!!! I usually only drink one cup and it's better then soda! (if you dont use a ton of sugar and creamer).
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    If you want to give up coffee because you feel too dependent on it, I think that's great. However, I am happy with my little addiction. I would be no help to you at all. ;)
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I drink at least like 6 cups a day! I drink it black, but still. You can make it work if you want to. :)
  • FrankSuggs
    FrankSuggs Posts: 2
    Options
    Do it black. My wife has transitioned to black from adding milk. If she can do it, ANYONE can do it!
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Coffee is my aiming fluid. I wouldn't even be able to function during a work day without it. o_o I generally have mine black. (My dad was in the Army and that's who I learned to drink coffee from, he always took his black. :)) Sometimes, when I make iced coffee, I add a splash of sugar free sweeter or a touch of maple or agave syrup and a glug of 2% milk.

I feel like as long has you're not having venti white chocolate mochas (those shouldn't even be classified as a coffee beverage, imo) every day - you're fine. ^_^
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to decaf. I love it. Tastes the same but you don't have the caffeine in there messing you up. Try switching! It's just a mind game that makes you believe you have energy.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    As I told one of my mfp's, if I die in the morning they'll have to pry my travel mug from my cold dead hands. I refuse to give up my coffee, and can't think of a single good reason why I should.
  • 2Grtkids
    2Grtkids Posts: 93
    Options
    Coffee=life.
  • panzerhaus
    panzerhaus Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree with other poster who said "you couldn't pry it out of his cold dead hands" I would be more concerned with getting rid of the sugar free creamer. Not a fan of sugar free stuff because of the stuff they use to replace sugar. Just saying...
  • DivaDiane
    DivaDiane Posts: 73
    Options
    I love my 1 and 1/2 cups of morning coffee. Starbucks French Roast - I buy the beans at Costco. I use 1 teaspoon of real half and half in each cup (down from just pouring it in without measuring). I also use 1 packet of Equal - I know, bad.....but I like the taste.
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I had to change my habits..I am completely in love with hazelnut creamer, and am fully capable of meeting my daily calories just from coffee+creamer alone. So for me...I needed to lay off a bit.
  • FindingSamMon
    FindingSamMon Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I would die...or kill someone...without my coffee.

^^This^^