The two month six pack

Options

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

He has enough body fat right now to compensate for the deficit.

Really?

Carry on, my time is wasted here.

You mean your body won't use body fat for energy? I mean, from what I've read that's the definition of fat. Back up energy to use when carbs are unavailable. (I'm being genuine, not sarcastic)

It will use it for survival energy to run day to day life sustaining and other activities (breathing, digestion, hair growth, etc) building lean muscle is not one of them. Usually during a cut you lose muscle, as muscle burns more cals, if your body is in a deficit it will shed muscle to lower its metabolic rate so your deficit will be smaller.

energy from body fat will not be used for muscle growth, the body just doesn't work that way.

Exactly.

MUSCLE is made from protein, amino acids. It will build when protein and calories are in excess. The body senses a high level of circulating amino acids, especially leucine and tells the body myogensis is safe and will not waste calories that could keep the body alive. Muscle on the body is physically a waste of energy, it doesn't need large amounts. mTOR activation only usually occurs in calorie surplus environments OR if you are a genetic freak.

Further more, for large amount of muscle to built you need the release of S6K1 protein and 4EBP1 binding to dimeric mTOR complex and telling the body its ok to build muscle. This generally doesn't happen in calorie deficit!

Safe to say, you're not gonna be building muscle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You mean your body won't use body fat for energy? I mean, from what I've read that's the definition of fat. Back up energy to use when carbs are unavailable. (I'm being genuine, not sarcastic)

It will use it for survival energy to run day to day life sustaining and other activities (breathing, digestion, hair growth, etc) building lean muscle is not one of them. Usually during a cut you lose muscle, as muscle burns more cals, if your body is in a deficit it will shed muscle to lower its metabolic rate so your deficit will be smaller.

energy from body fat will not be used for muscle growth, the body just doesn't work that way.

But if you continue working out using the same weights, why would your body break down the muscle? My understanding for a cutting phase is you continue doing the same workout, and induce a deficit (either through cardio or through eating). You will lose *some* muscle, but you'll be losing more body fat. If you don't lift the same weights, then you'll lose more muscle than necessary.

Actually pushing yourself by trying to lift heavier if you can, this is quite difficult to increase weights in a deficit due to lower energy available, tells your body it needs the extra muscle you already have.

When cutting it is very important to get enough protein and to lift heavy, and overloading your muscles is telling your body that that muscle is needed and it will be less likely to shed it as the body thinks it will need the muscle. If you are not continually pushing yourself the body will think there is no need for the excess muscle mass.
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that 6 years of triathlons up to a half iron-distance won't do it. :grumble:

Given your reluctance (which I share) to dramatic dieting, your time would be better spent working to earn some extra money to pay off your bet.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Here is some math for you.

If you are 26%BF at 197 you have 146lbs of lean mass, to get the 6 pack you would need to be at least 12% (probably lower, depends on where you carry your fat) So now to get down to 12% you will lose some lean mass and fat. Lets assume 90% fat 10% lean mass (this is quite generous given your short time frame)

So now lets look 8 weeks out. You wold have be be down to 161 and have 142lbs lean mass (32lbs fat loss and 4 lbs lean mass) for a total loss of 36lbs. So in 8 weeks to lose 36lbs you would have to lose on average 4.5lbs/week, 4 of which would have to be fat. FYI: losing this fast your ratio of fat to lean mass would be closer to 2:1 not 9:1 that I used in the calculation.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    1) Ain't happening in that time frame.
    2) While it varies by muscle mass and ab-size, you're probably AT BEST going to get a faint outline at 15%. Plan on ~12% for it to resemble abs and ~10% before they really start to pop and look cut. My .avi is probably around 12% for perspective sake and I have rather deep cuts in my top set of abs when I get lean, and my bottom set of abs are BURIED in fat.
    3) You mentioned that you bulk up fast. Get that crap out of your head immediately and I'm not trying to be a d1ck. Lift heavy and eat right and you will look more aesthetic, period.
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    If you are worried about bulking up due to heavy lifting, why not add stretching or a pilates class to your routine?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You think he can cut down from 26% to <12% in 2 months, maybe the 16% but at best you would only see an outline at the level. I doubt that this goal is attainable in this timeframe. I would suggest trying by August (3-4 months)

Yeah you're right that there is no way he'll get to 12% body fat. However, he can probably make it to 16-18% in 2 months. That's not a enough for a great six pack. But if you have strong abs then it should give you a flat stomach with some definintion. And if there is a bet involved, all you'd need at that point is the proper lighting to reveal your "six-pack."
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    1) Ain't happening in that time frame.
    2) While it varies by muscle mass and ab-size, you're probably AT BEST going to get a faint outline at 15%. Plan on ~12% for it to resemble abs and ~10% before they really start to pop and look cut. My .avi is probably around 12% for perspective sake and I have rather deep cuts in my top set of abs when I get lean, and my bottom set of abs are BURIED in fat.
    3) You mentioned that you bulk up fast. Get that crap out of your head immediately and I'm not trying to be a d1ck. Lift heavy and eat right and you will look more aesthetic, period.

BINGO
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    I'd say no in two months just based on my experience. I'm coming up on 90 days of a slow cut (.5lb per week) to try to avoid losing too much lean muscle. I haven't taken my 90 day pick yet but my upper abs is just starting to show. I'm down about 18 lbs and probably close 15% BF range. The fat has come off everywhere first and just now starting to slowly come off my stomach. I'd think you would lose way to much lean muscle trying to accomplish what you are asking.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me. I'm just creepin this thread because of all the bare chested men's pics. :blushing:

Me too. This thread is EXCELLENT.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    you guys really know your stuff

I was thinking that to have a chance of a visible 6pack, my body fat would have to be around the 10 to 12 % mark. Which would be drop roughly 14% body fat in 8weeks which seems, even to me a novice to the diet area, like a pretty unhealthy thing to do.

On here 3 weeks and have lost 13pounds, but I doubt very much if that type of weight loss will continue.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    ok OP, I'm kind of confused at the fact that you want abs, and you can get them by lifting heavy and a strict diet.....but you don't want to lift heavy because you bulk up too much :huh: that doesn't make sense.....Lifting heavy is great.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me. I'm just creepin this thread because of all the bare chested men's pics. :blushing:

Me too. This thread is EXCELLENT.

count me in as well.....
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Listen to Erickirb, MattWild and Sidesteal. They know their ****.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    As for the increasing the weights, I would be able to greatly increase the wight I currently do without too much difficulty. First four weeks back, making sure my form and posture is correct etc before I start to push it

Thanks again guys, been a massive help.

And ladies, you all owe me 10dollars each(that should cover the losing bet)
  • thebigcb
    Options
    in 2 months i would say this is possible.

but it will involve a strict diet and exercise. No cheat foods/alcohol and some form of cardio everyday, even if its a 20 min walk.

Sorry no Alcohol? I want a six pack, but not that much lol

As for cardio, no problem there, 8 to 10k runs, 3 or four times a week, spinning and cross trainers. other days.
  • erickirb
    Options

but it will involve a strict diet and exercise. No cheat foods/alcohol and some form of cardio everyday, even if its a 20 min walk.

As for cardio, no problem there, 8 to 10k runs, 3 or four times a week, spinning and cross trainers. other days.

Not to you, but to the post you quoted. Cardio is not needed at all to get a 6 pack. All you need is a caloric deficit and time (eating enough protein and strength training will speed up the fat loss vs. lean muscle loss). But many people on MFP with 6 packs do very little cardio. Cardio will actually lead to the loss of lean muscle faster then no cardio.

I am in a cut phase now, more definition in my abs then the profile pic, and I do cardio once/week for 20 minutes (high intensity).
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Totally understand erickirb,

I am still doing a lot of cardio because my high body fat %. Once I get it to where it should I'll can work more on "cutting" etc. I certainly don;t want to have a high fat % and have massive muscles.
  • wabrody
    wabrody Posts: 202
    Options

Not to you, but to the post you quoted. Cardio is not needed at all to get a 6 pack. All you need is a caloric deficit and time (eating enough protein and strength training will speed up the fat loss vs. lean muscle loss). But many people on MFP with 6 packs do very little cardio. Cardio will actually lead to the loss of lean muscle faster then no cardio.

I am in a cut phase now, more definition in my abs then the profile pic, and I do cardio once/week for 20 minutes (high intensity).

I have been reading the posts. I do have a question if no one minds me jumping in.

So this brings up the questino about cardio. I am trying to loose about 2 lbs a week while I buid muscle. I do 40 min of cardio 5 times a week, hit the weights 5 times a week(each day a different part of the body), and swim laps 4 times a week.

So the question I have is am i doing too much cardio?
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

So this brings up the questino about cardio. I am trying to loose about 2 lbs a week while I buid muscle.

Can't be done.