why can't I see a 20 lb difference?

Options
20 lbs isnt something to sneeze at, or so i think.
why can't i see any difference? i went down 2 pant sizes (38-34) but when i wear my 34 pants, they still look like the bigger size? maybe i am shrinking, but i still look large to myself...
at what time do you see the difference for yourself?

Replies

• mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You should start taking pictures. That is the only time I started noticing. I'm down 53 lbs, and I still look at myself and don't see a change, but when I look at my pics I can see it.

btw 20 lbs is awesome! Good for you!
  • courtney131
    courtney131 Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm sure you are shrinking! The best way to tell is to take measurements. Sometimes when you see yourself in the mirror everyday it's hard to tell a difference.
  • genablue
    genablue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm with the above poster, take pictures......20 lbs is awesome, way to go!
  • ChristinaOlliver
    ChristinaOlliver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to see a change in yourself, even when other people do. I agree with the above - take pictures! Well done on your weight loss, 20lbs is really good :D
  • moegomes
    moegomes Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree with previous poster. We are our own worst critics. It's amazing how we try to sabotage ourselves. Take pics, proof positive of your changes. You are seeing it in your clothes..so you have proof..Our eyes just take awhile to catch up. I am at my lowest weight in years even after being pregnant 4 times..and yet. I went clothes shopping the other day..got so mad in the dressing room, took a pair of shorts home and left. I am in the dressing room and get absolutely mad that even though I am a size 8, I see a size 12.

Good Luck, keep with it. You are doing great.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I agree I do not see a 24.5 pounds difference on myself either.
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Might just be the new clothes. I have dropped 6-8 inches in my pant size, but when I currently wear my new pants they are a little snug than I'm use to. I think it brings back old feelings when I was gaining weight. Just take a look at the size, or throw an old pair of pants on. when they look like clown pants, you'll feel better.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    You see yourself everyday, you aren't going to see the changes as well as someone who doesn't see you daily. My cousin saw me for the first time probably since last summer and he told my aunt that I looked awesome. Hearing that felt great as i'm working really hard.
    I took pictures in November when I started my journey and then again in April and I could see a HUGE difference in those pictures, despite not necessarily seeing it in myself on a regular basis. I too measure once a week.
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Put on the pants you used to wear and you'll see a difference.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 110lbs and sometimes when I look in the mirror I think I still look the same. We are our own toughest critics.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    20 Lbs is great!!! Be proud! Take some pictures as others have said, it may surprise you!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    You should start taking pictures. That is the only time I started noticing. I'm down 53 lbs, and I still look at myself and don't see a change, but when I look at my pics I can see it.

btw 20 lbs is awesome! Good for you!

Agree!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Put on the pants you used to wear and you'll see a difference.

^ this ,2 size down well done!
  • kasarin
    kasarin Posts: 82
    Options
    I saw the no difference in the first 100lbs, tbh. You will see the most change in your clothes fitting. Others will see much more of a change than you will. I think it has to do with our expectations. After losing 55% of my body weight over 3 years, I definitely see a difference. Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint!
  • tsmith67
    tsmith67 Posts: 27
    Options
    I have the same issue. I don't see the difference. But many people have come up to me and said "wow you are looking great". I appreciate that so much. I'm sure my not seeing it is just a mental hangup that I have to get past. Try laying your new size pants on top of your old size pants and look at the difference! Or put your old ones back on and see how they are big on you. And when you look at yourself, look at the difference in your face...that's one of the most obvious places to see a difference.

Don't get discouraged and keep at it!!!
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I take pictures and I always make sure a certain pair of jeans fits me perfect. That's the only way I see the difference.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Its hard to see it in ourselves....I still curse my 'fat *kitten*' when I'm squeezing into jeans. Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself that I'm squeezing it into a size 4 and not a 10 or 12 anymore.

Congrats on your 20 lbs loss...great job!!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I didn't see a change in the mirror until I lost 30lbs that's also about when my coworkers noticed. and even thought I'm now a another 25lbs from that, I can't see that difference. Well...I guess I randomly see it but usually not unless I'm putting on clothes.

So, don't loose hope.
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs before people I really starting noticing the difference. After that EVERYONE seemed to notice.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    20 pounds is awesome!

Several things might apply here. I've lost about 60 pounds on my journey so far, and since I'm 6' 3", 20 pounds just wasn't a visible weight loss to me. I found that I had been buying shirts and pants that hid my dewlap syndrome (where my belly dewlap over my belt) by getting things that I could "tuck loose" so there was always some empty shirt hanging down. Each time I lowered my pant size, I was proud of that, but my belly was still there and now I was wearing smaller pants, so the "dewlap" stubbornly remained. The loose shirts concealed the belly, sorta, but also concealed my progress. Once I started tucking my shirts in a little tighter and ignoring the dewlap, I started noticing the differences (and so did other people).

I also found that the belly was the last thing I lost. Upping my core workouts, and especially planking, toned that up, but there's still a keg hiding that 6-pack and I've only got 20 pounds left to go. I've come to accept that I'll just keep working on the "hidden 6-pack" and eventually I'll rid myself of the fat concealing it. I can feel the muscles under there, I have amazing stamina and energy compared to before, and I just need to be patient with getting rid of the fat covering it all up. Even if I never develop a 6-pack or anything, it's all good.

As a previous poster mentioned, pictures tell all. Your weight loss is gradual, and you look at yourself every day and don't notice the small differences (which in my case is what got me in trouble the other way in the first place!) Take a photo wearing as little as you feel comfortable with in the same pose once a month, and you'll have real evidence of the visible differences.