is this site accurate

is this site accurate on the calories your supposed to eat a day and how much weight your supposed to loose. cause mine says i need to eat 1400 calories a day and i excercise for an hour a day on my elliptical trainer and i have been doin this for 3 week and havent lost no weight yet except for 5 pounds of water weight which doesnt count so does anyone know?

Replies

• natashav
    natashav Posts: 108 Member
    is this site accurate on the calories your supposed to eat a day and how much weight your supposed to loose. cause mine says i need to eat 1400 calories a day and i excercise for an hour a day on my elliptical trainer and i have been doin this for 3 week and havent lost no weight yet except for 5 pounds of water weight which doesnt count so does anyone know?
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, no. But the majority of people on here have seen results I think. How long ago did you start?

Sorry, I saw you said 3 weeks. 5 pounds in 3 weeks is still quite a lot even if it's just water weight! I would keep at it, or try upping your calorie intake.
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    and what I meant by upping your calorie intake is eat your exercise calories!
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    are you adding in your excercise in here as well and adding to your calories as you have to eat your excercise calories otherwise you go below the save range i think is 1200 calories i think banks would be able to tell you more and there is a post on here about eating your excercise calories otherwise you wont loose much hope this helps
  • natashav
    yes i have been eating my excercis calories and i added them on here
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    I'm new, so I'm just learning. I don't understand when you say "eating your exercise calories". I've been thinking that even though I get extra calories for my exercises, it's better to NOT eat all of them, so that I can lose weight even faster. Can you explain please?
  • jakspak
    it did my head in at first too but what it is is

you put in here your wieght hight and daily living excercise like house wife activish desk job not so active and then it calculates if you do no extra excercise you need to eat this much to loose the weight you want at the rate you put in then
    you do some extra exercise and you burn some off which is great but you dont want to burn to much and go under i think it is 1200 calorie intack otherwise you are starving your body not helping it loose weight. hope that makes sense.
  • jakspak
    yes i have been eating my excercis calories and i added them on here

was thinking if you dont have a huge amount to loose then it could be your body slowing down or you could try changing your excercise routine i have just done this at the gym they cut me off from 5 nights to 3 nights as i had come to a brick wall and was going nowhere even put on a bit so we uped my intesity and i have to either rest or go do something different on those other two nights. im trying to go swimming but the pool i like to go to is always booked so might have to change either the time i go on those daysand do shoppng later in the evening. so could be your body has gotten use to it if you have been doing that for a while maybe push yourself to go harder in short burst give your body a shake up.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Natasha, what is your bmi number? And what level did you set your goals at for loss?
    I.E. 1 lb a week, 1.5, 2 lbs...etc.

you may need to tweak it, the site is pretty accurate, but not every part of the plan works the same for every person, there may be some little things that you can do to help it along.
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    1400 calories and you work with an elliptical? I can tell you that your body is probably in starvation mode. I was put on a 1400 cal diet by Mayo Clinic. Here's me in the beginning: 6'0 tall. 246 pounds. Only exercise I was getting was when I worked....which is a 12 hour work out. My caloric intake was based on my activity. The more activity and calories you burn, the more calories your body needs to work right. People think that if the cut all their calories back and then strenuously work out, that the pounds will fall off. Eventually maybe....but in starvation mode, your body starts to break down your muscle first. Yes, it may burn some fat, but it's looking for something to sustain it and your muscle??? PROTEIN!

Who put you on the 1400 calorie diet? A doctor? I would question that. Hope that helps some.

:flowerforyou:
  • natashav
    my bmi is 38 and i am 5'8 250 pounds and i am trying my best i just dont know what i am doin wrong oh yeah and i have alot to loose and i made it to where i i can loose 2 pounds a week
  • natashav
    this site put me on that diet
  • jakspak
    ok i just want to understand you base amount before excercise is 1400 calories right then you do your excercise and add those calories in and eat them

might also depend on the types of food you are eating and where those calories are coming from. there is a big picture that needs to be looked at to see where the issue may or may not be hope we can help you
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    What do You have for your daily activity level?

I would try lowering that a notch. I see quite a few people thinking they work like constructions workers when they are really desk jockies.

The other part, measure your intake portions. You might actually be eating more than what you think!

Already mentioned, make sure you eat your exercise calories.

Try to eat foods that are less than 30% fat! If its a100 calories, and more than 30 calories are fat, DONT EAT IT!

Finally, STICK with it!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    this site put me on that diet

Even if it is starvation, with your bmi, your body should be able to deal with it for a while, not that that is the BEST way to do it, but the lack of any results with how much of a deficit you have sets off red flags in my head. There must be something we are missing. Something we didn't account for, because from what you have said, you should be losing weight. Have you had your thyroid checked recently? If I were you, I would give it another couple of weeks, and if it still isn't working for you, there may be something up with you glands, or some other chemical imbalance that is causing this. Best to at least rule that out so you know anyway.

See guys, with a high bmi, doctors many times will put people on a VLC (very low calorie) diet to get them down a bit (usually only for a few weeks though), then put them on a slowly increasing diet until they are in a bmi range of 30 or below.

I don't know, that's all I can think of, I mean, if you're eating a nutritious diet, with the right balance of carbs, protein, and fat (you are right?), and keeping a 1000 calorie deficit (even with workouts right?)
    then the only thing I can think of is that there is something up with your body chemistry.
  • natashav
    i hope i dont have a problem like that