::Exploding Head:: GPS HRM for Running

Options

Replies

• hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    the basic hrm the one from polar is good enough.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a GPS HRM for training (half marathons, etc.). I want something that is easy to use and tracks time, distance, and speed. I have read about a million reviews and my head is seriously about to explode. The ones I am really interested in are as follows (in no particular order):

- Polar RS300X
    - Timex Run Trainer
    - Garmin Forerunner 110
    - Nike+ Sportwatch GPS

Please let me know if you have experience with any of these watches and the pros and cons. Thank you so much!!!

I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 and love it. I run in Colorado and have no issues with signal (works in downtown, works in the mountains).
  • k80mac
    k80mac Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin forerunner 210 and I love it. has gps, stopwatch/tracks splits can set by pace or distance etc. you can plug in HR zones, your personal settings calculates calorie burn. etc.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't. I have a Polar F6.

I pretty much know the distances of the routes I run. If I don't, I calculate them on mapmyrun.

Ahh you are similar to me, I have a Polar FT4 and map my runs on GMap Pedometer. I have 12 routes saved on there now, such a great site!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I recently researched GPS-enabled watches as well and decided on the Garmin 405CX. I've only been able to use it once because I broke my leg and can't run right now, :sad: but I think I'm going to love it once I get out there again.

I looked into the Timex Run Trainer as well, and I didn't feel it was the best choice for me.

Go Garmin! That's my advice :-)
    Good luck!
  • akvreeland
    akvreeland Posts: 27
    Options
    I have a Garmin 405CX (with the strap) and I really like it. It takes a little while to get used to all the different things that it does. But I love it! Highly recommend it.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have the Nike+ GPS watch, and I love it. I helps me monitor heart rate, calories, and pace. When I log my runs I get to see them all piling up nicely on the web site and I get encouragement from my Nike+ community friends.

I briefly had a Garmin 405CX and while it was a fine product, it just didn't make me happy because I couldn't use the years of progress I had on Nike+ with it. I'm a sucker for my numbers. ;)
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Another thing to note is that the *05 models use a different calculation on cal burn than the *10 models. The *10 models use the newer Leaf(?) technology that is more accurate.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I use my iPhone with LogYourRun.
  • jrdennis13
    jrdennis13 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have the Garmin 310XT. I've always used Garmin's in the past never had an real problems with them though. Only thing to consider is that the HRM strap will stink after a while, and washing in the washer is not the best solution. But I do on the gentle cycle then let it air dry. I know the 310XT is made for swimming, not sure about the others though. It will always have a smell unfortunately. I had this problem with a previous strap, not so much with my new one, but sometimes the HR readings will be abnormally high. Ensure you use water on the contacts before wearing the strap.

It also synchs with you computer, and has synching capabilities with a tanita scale (which I don't have). It's the only way I track calories burned too, as it seems a lot more accurate (and lower) when compared to the readings on machines.
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 405 with HR monitor. I really like it!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Another thing to note is that the *05 models use a different calculation on cal burn than the *10 models. The *10 models use the newer Leaf(?) technology that is more accurate.

Do you know how the 05 models calculate cal burn? Is it based on heart rate or distance and pace?
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

Do you know how the 05 models calculate cal burn? Is it based on heart rate or distance and pace?

Not off of HR.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

this article tells how it works on each one http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/11/how-calorie-measurement-works-on-garmin.html
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I just got a Garmin 210. Love it! Seriously, I LOVE the thing. I don't know about the other's... went straight to the Garmin.

I was debating between the 210 and the Nike+ ... finally decided on the 210 and haven't looked back! I use a Bodybugg so I don't use the HRM but I have it incase I decide to stop using the bugg :wink:
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 405CX (with the strap) and I really like it. It takes a little while to get used to all the different things that it does. But I love it! Highly recommend it.

^^^^^^I love mine too!!!!!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Garmin FR70....love at first sight UNTIL I saw how many calories I was actually burning.....GRRR!!

I zumba....HARDCORE, sweat dripping and everything. I've been guessing my calorie burn based on my friend's wristbands which tend to show 650 - 800 calories burned per hour.... BUT when I finally used my Garmin for the first time, I was floored by the results: 458?!! Then another class was 398. WTH?!!

Some friends think it MUST be broken, because they know how hard I work in class. Others think it's accurate because I am 5'3" and about 128 and don't have much to lose, so I wouldn't burn as much. SUPER frustrating....I love food. :o)

Thoughts?!! Not sure if this is normal or I should return the thing. Zumba is supposed to burn 500-1000 per hour. I assumed I was toward the higher end of the spectrum based on my (sweat!) performance.

~Elle

Sadly, you probably don't burn anywhere near 650-800 calories/hour. You're HRM is likely accurate- especially if you have input your height, weight, gender, and age. I weigh slightly less than you do and I can't find anything that will give me that sort of burn. Not even running or p90x plyometrics get me there, and both are more strenuous that the Zumba classes I have taken in the past.

Can't live without my Polar HRM, and just started running seriously, so I'm looking into the Forerunners as well...thanks all of you who have given input on the various models!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Bump this thread, because my head is exploding too..
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin watch and HRM. I have only had one, so I can't comment. Also, all the tracking and routes is BS. I have no idea how to do any of that. It's so complicated. I just hit a button and it starts tracking, I hit the button again and it stops. That's all I can figure out how to do. But, all that stuff everyone is talking about is there, it's just not easy to figure out at all. But, anyone you get will be fine. One thing I didn't understand, is you need both the HRM and a watch. Not just one of those things. They both work together.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

this article tells how it works on each one http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/11/how-calorie-measurement-works-on-garmin.html

Big Thanks!