Bored of oatmeal for breakfast.Any ideas?

Options
Normally I have oatmeal with some fruit or some wholegrain toast with peanut butter but i'm getting a bit bored with that now.I've heard about overnight refrigerator oats,they sound good! Anybody tried them?

I'm looking for recipes high in protein and good fats if possible.In this weather I just don't want hot oatmeal everyday!

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm all about my protein smoothies for breakfast! I even put oats in them, sometimes. Here's a good one:

1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 banana (or 1/2, personal preference!)
    1 cup coconut milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/4 cup of rolled oats (optional)

mix it up and you're good to go :) that's about 350-400 calories and it keeps me going easily until lunch time! I mix up the fruit all the time, so I don't get bored.
  • littlefreckle91
    Options
    Oh that sounds really good:) thanks i'll have to try that.I've got lots of fruit to use up!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Protein smoothies are great or I often cook an egg, a couple slices of canadian bacon and sandwich between a toasted english muffin. Only takes 5 minutes and I can eat it on my drive in.
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I eat an egg on a mini tortilla that is really high in fiber and use one tablespoon of hard ramano cheese ( and a little hot sauce) it's really good and fast.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My Dr had me kick the carb loaded oatmeal for 2 eggs and spinach. Worked for me.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    If you like the more traditional breakfasty type foods you can do something like eggs packed with veggies! and if you need more flavour I sometimes add Parmesan or salsa or avocado!

Also with my oat meal sometimes I add maple syrup

Or I love having pizza or spaghetti or a sandwich!
  • simone4uandme
    Options
    ohhhh this sounds great, think I will give it a try!!!:smile:
  • JustAsthetics
    Options
    2 pieces of Ezekial Bread
    3 oz. lean turkey
    Lettuce
    Tomato
    1 whole egg
    3 egg whites
    salsa
    w/ apple

Ultimate Brekfast Sandwich!
    Good fats with fairly low carb, also good sugar from the apple to get your day going.
  • leetime4me
    leetime4me Posts: 20
    Options
    I sometimes have greek yogurt which is high in protein, and some berries and seeds:) I think I feel best though if I have eggs and veggies!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I make a bacon egg avocado in a high fiber tortilla wrap for breakfast
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Here is my breakfast meal replacement!

1 Cup of Water
    1/2 Cup of Raw Oats
    1/2 Cup of Cottage Cheese 2%
    2 Tble Spoons of PB Natural
    1 Scoop of your favorite Chocolate Protein "I use Pro 24 Bodytech"
    3-5 Ice cubs and blend

If you want a natural one

1 Cup of Hood Chocolate Low Cal Milk
    1/2 Cup of Raw Oats
    1/2 Cup of Cottage Cheese 2%
    2 Tble Spoons of PB Natural
    3-5 Ice cubs and blend

This one is fruit based one:

4 - 8 Oz of Water or vanilla soymilk
    1/2 Cup of Frozen dole Fruit mix
    1/4 Cup of Frozen Blueberries
    1/2 Cup of your favorite Greek Yogurt
    1 Scoop of a Vanilla Protein or Strawberry Protein
    sometimes I add two tble spoons of sliced almonds to this
    blend no ice cubes needed because of the frozen fruit

add spinach and/or banana to any of these if you like
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley bars are low cal and filling. I eat them several times a week.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Dumb question perhaps but have you tried changing up the oatmeal by adding cinnamon? It made me fall in love with the stuff all over again.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Depending on how many cal you allow yourself for breakfast, 2% cottage cheese and fruit, is high in protein and tastes good, not for everyday but would be a nice change in the rotation.
  • wlgreen379
    wlgreen379 Posts: 104
    Options
    Green Monster Smoothie

1 Cup Almond/Soy/Coconut Milk
    1 TBSP Peanut Butter
    Serving of Protein Powder
    As Much Spinach as you can stuff in your chopper machine
    1 banana

Put in in that order and blend. Then when mixed thoroughly add several ice cubes and chop again. It's my weekday go to, or if I'm in a hurry I lose the spinach and the coconut milk and add coffee to the mix. It's a 2 for 1 deal.
  • teeina
    teeina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My main week day breakfasts are :
    - Oatmeal
    - 2 eggs and toast
    - an microwave omelet (I pre-cut the veggies in my magic bullet and use a bit of Parmesan cheese)
    - greek yogurt and fruit.
    - Nutrigrain Waffles w/ peanut butter and fruit

On the weekend I may do
    - Spinach and Eggs Baked in tomato cups (http://www.recipesfrommymom.com/2011/06/egg-and-spinach-baked-in-tomatocup.html?showComment=1309370755596#c1292243935862895852)
    - Eggs in a hole - using PAM instead of butter (http://pinchmysalt.com/valentines-day-breakfast-idea-heart-shaped-egg-in-a-nest/)

Or if I'm making brunch...
    -Egg Boat - I sub fat-free plain coffee creamer for the heavy cream (http://pinchmysalt.com/valentines-day-breakfast-idea-heart-shaped-egg-in-a-nest/)

Did I mention that I like breakfast?
  • sums_net
    sums_net Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm all about my protein smoothies for breakfast! I even put oats in them, sometimes. Here's a good one:

1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 banana (or 1/2, personal preference!)
    1 cup coconut milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/4 cup of rolled oats (optional)

mix it up and you're good to go :) that's about 350-400 calories and it keeps me going easily until lunch time! I mix up the fruit all the time, so I don't get bored.

This... I add flaxseed to it. I have to try adding oats sometime. Another variation., banana and avacado with almond milk, flaxseed and protein powder. Yummm
  • littlefreckle91
    Options
    Superchikanth- Good idea i definitely think i'm going to try more savory options for breakfast as eating sweet things all the time sometimes makes me crave sugar a bit more.

auria17 -I have some cottage cheese in the fridge.I'm just getting used to the taste haha,I'll have to try that.

taliesyn_- I put cinnamon in my oatmeal once but I think i put a bit too much in! i'm going to try it again though maybe with some PB.

Thanks for your ideas everyone :)
  • getfitbesexy
    Options
    I do a meal replacement shake in the morning, it fills me up and 2 hours later i have my first snack of the day.

Here are a couple that i do (i have tons of healthy recipes):

- 8-10oz of Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    - 2 scoops of of nutrient-rich protein powder (I use Vi Nutritional Shake Mix).
    - 1 tsp of cinnamon

- 8-10oz of Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    - 2 scoops of of nutrient-rich protein powder (I use Vi Nutritional Shake Mix).
    - 2 tbs of PB

Fat-Burning Coffee Shake

- In a blender, mix ½ cup of Unsweetened Almond milk or Cold Water (you can add more or less water depending on the consistency you prefer).
    - Add 2 scoops of nutrient-rich protein powder (I use Vi-Nutritional Shake Mix).
    - Add 1 tsp of granulated instant coffee
    - Gradually add 5 ice cubes to thicken.
    - Blend on high for one minute (in a pinch, this shake can also be made by simply mixing ingredients together in a glass with a spoon).

Drink yourself skinny! :happy: