weight watchers??

Options
Does anybody follow weight watchers and use fitness pal tools aswell to help, also i need some encouragent so maybe some friends could be the trick mfp pals?? Hehe

Replies

• Two2Love
    Two2Love Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just restarted for the one billionth time. I hate the new Points Plus so I am tracking calories here, but attending meetings and weighing in there for accountability. Happy to have a WW buddy!
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use both. But I'm not a fan of the new points plus program. I use my old material and follow the old plan. It worked for me to lose 100 lbs. I gained abot 45-50 with my last pregnancy and am only 3 lbs from being back at that 100 lbs lost mark! WOOHOO!!! For me, MFP works well as my journal. It holds me accountable and I can easily calculate the points with the info in my diary. I'm looking for some friends so feel free to add me!
  • AutumnBreeze07
    AutumnBreeze07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My review is mixed. I lost weight on the old points plan (about 9 lbs), but gained most of it back when they switched to the new points plus plan (7.5 lbs). I do believe however, that I was eating too few calories under the old plan. Now, with MFP I think I am on a better track. I did learn better eating habits from WW -- portion control, choosing healthier foods and snacks, and the support system from the rest of the group was great! I think that WW can be a great start for most people, just watch the "free fruit" idea -- everything has calories, and fruit contains lots of sugar. It is just one of WW new ideas that I completely disagree with!

:drinker:
  • reallyally1
    reallyally1 Posts: 82
    Options
    I lost about 45 pounds on the old plan, but when I made the switch to the new points plus I plateaued for a good four months. Then I started using MFP and I've lost an additional 13 pounds. I just really don't like the whole concept of "free" fruit... when I was using points plus, I used to eat SO MUCH fruit every day in addition to my regular daily points. It was ridiculous.

WW was really helpful for me when I was just started out a year and a half ago; I had never attempted to lose weight before and I had absolutely no idea about how to eat healthy. I really don't think it's a good long-term program, though.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I lost over 50 lbs with an old WW program (Winning Points) but don't like the new Points Plus. It penalizes you too much for choosing less-than-perfectly-healthy foods.

For instance, yesterday I ate all my calories per MFP and had about 2200 (1600+600-ish from activity). On WW, I had a PP target of 28 plus earned about 12 for a solid hour of high intensity cardio. Each day I averaged out about 40/41 points on my high eating days... yesterday, despite being perfectly on target for MFP, I worked out the WW points as a 58pt day.

If you eat things like peanut butter, avocados, nuts, wine, baked goods... you really get dinged on WW. So much so that, for me, my overall calorie intake was too low if I stuck to my points.

I don't want to eat a perfect diet all the time.
  • Two2Love
    Two2Love Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How are you all converting your points to calories? Are you just going by what MFP suggests? The "old school" rule was 50 calories = one point, but I'm not sure that is the case anymore. MFP put me at 1200 and I think that is too low for my current weight.
  • jvansyckel
    jvansyckel Posts: 45
    Options
    I have been a WW lifetime member since 2007 and was successful at maintaining my goal weight with in 5 to 10 pounds. But I have since found myself about 20lbs over and finding it difficult to stick to the new points plus, not sure why as it really is not that much different.. but find it hard to follow. My friend told me about this site so I thought I would give it a try. LOVE IT!! It is just like the WW on-line tools except you count calories instead of points, but it is so much easier to track!! And the food database Rocks.!!

I still believe in the Weight Watchers program 100% and just applying the values and tools I learned to MFP, I don't see any reason to do both plans and track in two places, and this FREE!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    How are you all converting your points to calories? Are you just going by what MFP suggests? The "old school" rule was 50 calories = one point, but I'm not sure that is the case anymore. MFP put me at 1200 and I think that is too low for my current weight.

I'm tracking everything here; not in points. But I just converted all my NI to points yesterday just to compare.
  • AutumnBreeze07
    AutumnBreeze07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The new points plus plan is more difficult to convert into calories, as opposed to the old plan. I did count both points and calories for a while just to see where I was at, and found that I was eating too few calories. I still use many of the tools that they had given me, but I have since dropped the WW plan.
  • nanadri20
    nanadri20 Posts: 1
    Options
    Very interesting. I too have been on WW for ages and rejoined in January on the New Plan. I really like it, completely opposite of the rest of the group. I was never really a big fruit eater and I think that is why I'm not having an issue with it. Everything we do, we must do in moderation - WW is really sticking close to the Canadian Healthy Food Guidelines. They say that fruits and vegetables (non - starchy) are free and I have to admit that I am not as strict with eating a banana now and then as I was before but I don't binge on them either nor any fruit. Some fruits are high in sugars but also high in potassium, vitamins and fibre that keeps us full. I personally have been successful on the New Plan, so far I have lost 25 lbs and feel great!

I also decided to join MFP because a friend of mine was utilizing it, it was free and I was curious about it. I must say that I absolutely love the food database on here it is so complete. I am tracking on both to see the difference - I find that I am always below my points on WW with following this plan (MFP). I'll let you know how I do at my WI on Saturday.

I believe in WW and this is why I keep going back. With everything you do, you must believe in yourself for any successes to occur. Good Luck ladies and really hoping you'd add me and we start a little WW group here.