Dr Oz speaking on Brown Rice & Whole Grain/Wheat...

Options
do any of you keep brown rice or whole grain/wheat carbs as a daily staple in your house old / meal plan? seen on Dr. Oz that "whole wheat bread is just as bad as white bread" can someone explain this to me..

Replies

• audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    bump! the bread debate has been driving me crazy!
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    :yawn: oh, dr. oz...
  • AmandasJourney2012
    Options
    i don't know if this is true or not.. but what i will say is that Dr. Oz can be full of complete utter bs
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think part of the argument is that it has the same glycemic index as white bread, but obviously the extra fiber is good for you. Who knows, everyday there is a new theory. We all have to find what works for us.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is an idiot.

Also, it depends on what the individual considers "bad." Are calories "bad?" Then whole wheat may be as "bad" as white. Is over-processed food "bad?" Then wheat is better than white.

Oh, and Dr. Oz is an idiot.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I don't know anything about Dr. Oz, but there isn't much nutritional difference between enriched wheat flour and whole wheat flour.
  • saulmfp
    saulmfp Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with post indicating you need to find what works for you and stick to it. Having said this, Yes, i do include brown rice in daily diet. It is great source of complex carbs and fiber takes longer to digest, leaving you full longer. I prep it in plain water, put it in fridge to cool and add half a cup in a blended protien shake for breakfast. It adds texture and makes the shake filling. I also sometimes include a similar portion at dinner with lean meats (usually poultry). Adding a complex carb to your meal will help stabilize your blood sugar and keep binging at bay...hope this helps.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Whole grains keep you full for longer. From what I've read that's the only difference. I eat a variety of whole grains and white bread and rice (depends on my mood), I only eat white pasta because I don't like wheat pasta. Eat what will keep you on track there is no sense in eating something you hate.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat whole wheat bread, brown rice, quinoa, and potatoes among other starches. I follow Dr. Neil Barnard's "Program for Reversing Diabetes" in which he makes the point that the glycemic index for wheat bread isn't much better than white. He suggests rye bread or pumpernickel instead. Unfortunately I've yet to find a whole grain rye bread on the grocery store shelves.
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    They are both nearly identical... The only difference is the fiber. Just be careful when taking advice from a 'doctor' who is really just a TV personality with an MD.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Who is paying Dr Oz more $$ this week and that will tell you the answer.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Then end difference looks the same but that is because what is stripped out of white flour they add back in, whereas with wholewheat it was not stripped out in the first place, that and more fiber and taste, make me go for wholewheat over white.

I find white bread has no taste whereas wholewheat actually has flavour.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    "whole wheat bread is just as good as white bread"

there, fixed that for ya
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a TOOL....
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Who is paying Dr Oz more $$ this week and that will tell you the answer.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I feel more satisfied with whole wheat bread. Having said that though I eat all gluten free now and love it. I'm down to about 4-5 slices of bread a week. I eat about 1/2 cup of brown rice a week also.
    I don't want my body to be afraid of carbs, but it doesn't need to totally exist off them either.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    "whole wheat bread is just as good as white bread"

there, fixed that for ya
    This.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    stocks must be down on white bread...
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a TOOL....
    Tool is an awesome band, Dr. Oz is a joke \m/
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    OK now I am confused...they say get rid of white replace with whole grains/wheat...now they both are bad... Lawd...help us. Lucky for me I am not eating neither for 6 weeks....but geesh....what do we do?