In Need of Some serious help!!

Options
Hello everyone. I am Morbidly obese. I am 5ft4 and weight about 260lbs at the age of 25 (soon to be 26). I am a single mom to a soon to be 6yr old son and a part time worker. I just recently graduated college with a Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice. My dream is to a Crime Scene Tech, but I was told in the state I live (PA) we have to take a fitness test and I know that I would NOT pass! I have always struggled with my weight and am an emotional eater and I eat when I am "bored" I just recently bought an elliptical machine/bike (its called a Cardio Dial Trainer from K-mart) spent about $300. Anyways. I am trying to lose 100lbs in a year. So about 2lbs per week. My question is how?!? I have been a member of myfitnesspal and tracked jsut what I eat and it suggests I eat 1300 calories including my exercise and stuff. My thing is, exercising is tough. Since I am so big, I will be on the Elliptical part of the trainer and I am going at a decent pace and I see "Only 6 calories burned" its discouraging! I can only be on the elliptcial for about 4 minutes before I am weezing and using my inhaler so should I spread it out throughout the day? How many times should I do it? If I eat 1300 calories and exercise, will I lose the weight? Please help. There are more questions but I will ask once some of these are answered! Thank you in advance.

Replies

• huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Exercise when one starts out does not have to be a massive endeavor. You could try just taking a walk every day as a start and build it up from there. Any good physical movement helps. Then increase it as you go and start adding in some other stuff. Don't underestimate the power of some weight training, too. Body weight activities are a great start and you don't need to buy a thing to get going there.

Good luck on your journey.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Well... Here's the cool thing about myfitnesspal. Because the 1300 calories a day already puts you at a deficit to lose 2 lbs per week as long as you consume the 1300 calories a day it's all good! Do I suggest doing that and not exercising? No. But take it slow... everyone starts somewhere, ya know?

I remember when i couldnt even do the eliptical for 5-6 minutes with the resistance and incline on 1 without almost passing out and my HR going to like 185!

I know it can be discouraging but I wouldn't worry about the amount of calories you are burning with your exercise starting off. Work on the endurance and strength and building your way up. The extra calories you get to eat are just a bonus! :P Also on this note... it is hard hard work burning calories. Some days when i lift for 55 minutes and its really intense I only burn 300 calories!

Focus on making healthy food choices and hitting your calorie goal. Focus on working your way up with exercise and don't feel bad for not burning thousands of calories per hour. Keep at it and you WILL succeed!

Edit to say: please feel free to message me with any questions you might have and i'd be happy to help!
  • mermaidNpink
    Options
    Hi Dannysmommy. Welcome. I'm a foodie and I've been a roller-coaster dieter most of my adult life, and what I've learned from the various programs I've tried over the years is that it mostly boils down to calories in / calories out.

There's some basic math concepts. First, establish how many calories you need to live at goal weight. To get started you can use a factor of 11 for women and 12 for men. So if you goal weight is 150 lbs, multiply 150 x 11 and you get 1650 calories for basic functioning per day at goal weight (breathing, digesting food, thinking, etc.). Of course you can find your personal factor on various websites if you want to get into your personal details such as height, age, family genetics, etc., but 11 should do it for most of us.

Then more math, it takes 3500 calories to gain or lose a pound. So if your goal weight is 150 lbs and you eat 2000 calories a day, you are consuming 350 more calories a day than you need and you will gain a pound every 10 days. Conversely, if you consume 1150 calories a day instead of the calories you need to live, you will burn an extra 3500 calories every 7 days, one whole pound per week.

Of course the more calories you burn the more you need to live, so adding exercise (calories out) means you can consume more (calories in). You don't have to do all the exercise at once every day, and parking farther from the grocery store, opting for stairs instead of elevator, short bits of time on your shiny new machine, it all counts. If the calorie math on the machine doesn't seem right to you, it probably isn't so ignore it and set realistic goals that do make sense to you, such as "this week I will ride this machine for 30 minutes x 5 days and I will break a sweat every time." Next week up the intensity level or increase the time or try to mix in a new exercise one day such getting on that old bicycle.

I've been told that one pound a week is a safe and recommended weight loss rate. I think 2 lbs a week might be setting yourself an unreasonable goal. I'd recommend setting small goals in addition to the exercise - one week at a time. For example, next week, in addition the exercise plan, add the goal of creating two new healthy meals for the week.

Good luck.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It really only has you at 1300 cals/day? I'm surprised. I just used another BMR calculator for your age, height and weight and it said your BMR was 1969 calories/day. I know you want to lose 2 lbs per week, but it's hard to get by on 1300 calories/day if you're not used to it or you don't ease yourself into that slowly.

You could set your goal to lose 1 lb/week and that should change your calories to about 1500/day... you may find it easier to actually stick with this. I think you're going to find going from whatever you've been eating to 1300cal/day is going to be awfully difficult.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am Morbidly obese. I am 5ft4 and weight about 260lbs at the age of 25 (soon to be 26). I am a single mom to a soon to be 6yr old son and a part time worker. I just recently graduated college with a Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice. My dream is to a Crime Scene Tech, but I was told in the state I live (PA) we have to take a fitness test and I know that I would NOT pass! I have always struggled with my weight and am an emotional eater and I eat when I am "bored" I just recently bought an elliptical machine/bike (its called a Cardio Dial Trainer from K-mart) spent about $300. Anyways. I am trying to lose 100lbs in a year. So about 2lbs per week. My question is how?!? I have been a member of myfitnesspal and tracked jsut what I eat and it suggests I eat 1300 calories including my exercise and stuff. My thing is, exercising is tough. Since I am so big, I will be on the Elliptical part of the trainer and I am going at a decent pace and I see "Only 6 calories burned" its discouraging! I can only be on the elliptcial for about 4 minutes before I am weezing and using my inhaler so should I spread it out throughout the day? How many times should I do it? If I eat 1300 calories and exercise, will I lose the weight? Please help. There are more questions but I will ask once some of these are answered! Thank you in advance.

Just so you know...ellipticals are set on the "avg" person at 150lbs. To get accurate readings....get a heart rate monitor or use the guesstimates MFP has. When I started MFP back in June, I was 361lbs. I could not even FIT on most machines, nor did I want to even STEP IN a gym. So I tried Jillian....um no...too fat and unfit for that....hmmmm what else?? Ah yes, that wonderful ball of fruity energy in hot pants and glitter tank tops....RICHARD SIMMONS!! He designed his workout to be accomplished by anyone of any fitness level. He's hilarious and fun!! You can get his DVD's @ Walmart/Target for like $5-$10. I am at 287.9 as of today. A majority of my weight loss was because of those videos. The first time I did one, I only got through 15 minutes...now I can do the WHOLE thing!!
    As for your calories...the 1300 is what you should net. Think of your cals as an allowance. You have to spend at least a certain amount and if you want more, you have to work for it. You can do this!! No doubt!! Figure out what works for you!!
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I first started using an elliptical I could only do 4 minutes at the lowest level. I'm at home a lot so I just did 4 minutes a day, then I could do 4 minutes twice a day, then 3 times per day, etc. Now I'm getting out more and burning calories that way along with the 30DS so I haven't been using it much but the days I do use it I'm doing two sets of 10 minutes (I have problems regulating my body temperature, I can't work out to the point where I begin to sweat, I get really sick before that).

Do what you can, there's no problem with starting out slow. Try doing 2 minutes at a time if 4 is causing you breathing problems. Keep building up your small intervals in number and when you're comfortable and ready increase the length of your intervals. If you hate it and make yourself sick you won't continue.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Let me give you some perspective here. I am over twice your age, and started here at 286 lbs. I joined a gym, and could only dream of jogging on a treadmill for more than 30 seconds at a time, so I mostly just walked on the treadmill - or just around my neighborhood. As I started to lose some weight I was able to go a little longer on the treadmill, and started to use the elliptical machines and stationary bikes too. Eventually my aerobic capacity started to pick up, my weight was dropping which took a lot of the strain off of my ankles and knees, and I actually started running. Yesterday I ran for over 30 minutes on the treadmill, and wasn't even breathing hard when I was finished. It's been only 6 months, and I am registered to run in my first 5k EVER in a couple of weeks. If an old dog like me can do it, you can too!

Start slow, stick with it, celebrate every improvement that you notice along the way, and you will succeed! Good luck!
  • neesie0358
    neesie0358 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Focus on doing what you can, but be persistent. Little by little, you'll notice that it is not so hard any longer. Then add a little more, then a little more, then a little more. Slowly but surely you'll be much stronger and have more endurance. But remember that 80% of losing weight is your diet. Try to eat clean, cut down on sugar or cut it out all together if you can. Wishing you success!!!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I bought an eliptical and hated that thing as it is very hard. I find a treadmill works better for me but since I don't have one of those I just take walks. You will lose weight with watching your calorie intake and as you drop the weight you will have more energy as you go. You shouldn't look at this as a diet but look at it as a change of eating habits. I don't suggest depriving yourself of any particular food but enjoy all of it in moderation. If you stick to watching your calories you will see the weight go. Hope it all works out well for you
  • neesie0358
    Options
    Great job!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

Walk a lot, at first. It will get easier and you will be able to do more later. Try Jillian videos and when it comes to a part you can;t do YET....do something else that you can until you are ready for that move. Keep moving, shake your leg while you're sitting.

"I eat when I am "bored" " Only boring people get bored....answer to this problem, don;t get bored. Stay busy. When I have nothing left to do and get stuck at my desk...I shop online until I have a full cart, then go to the cart look at everything and then close the page. Nope not spending but boy, shopping is fun.

You can do this, you aren't the first and you're far from the last. Good Luck and remember to drink your water.
  • neesie0358
    Options
    [/quote]

Just so you know...ellipticals are set on the "avg" person at 150lbs. To get accurate readings....get a heart rate monitor or use the guesstimates MFP has. When I started MFP back in June, I was 361lbs. I could not even FIT on most machines, nor did I want to even STEP IN a gym. So I tried Jillian....um no...too fat and unfit for that....hmmmm what else?? Ah yes, that wonderful ball of fruity energy in hot pants and glitter tank tops....RICHARD SIMMONS!! He designed his workout to be accomplished by anyone of any fitness level. He's hilarious and fun!! You can get his DVD's @ Walmart/Target for like $5-$10. I am at 287.9 as of today. A majority of my weight loss was because of those videos. The first time I did one, I only got through 15 minutes...now I can do the WHOLE thing!!
    As for your calories...the 1300 is what you should net. Think of your cals as an allowance. You have to spend at least a certain amount and if you want more, you have to work for it. You can do this!! No doubt!! Figure out what works for you!!
    [/quote]

My great job post was to you! haha
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    try body flex deep breathing exercises by greer childers, the first couple weeks cleans your lungs, over time it enabled me to get rid of my inhaler.
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I swim. IT is easy on the joints. And everyone is right. Follow the calorie guidelines by MFP. It is working for me.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    My heart doctor told me I needed to do 30 - 45 minutes exercise, 5 days a week. I told him I could only do ten minutes on the treadmill and he told me thats ok, then do 10 minutes 3 times a day. You will get stronger as you continue. Now I can do Zumba and ride my bike for 30 minutes or more. It takes time and commitment. If you can only do 5 minutes, then do it and later do another and another. The machine you have is not taking into account your height and weight...MFP does...use thier calculator. Keep track of your minutes and add it in under the exercise tab and eat back those calories. I have has asthma almost all my life, as a child and back in my early 30's. I was sucking on that inhaler every day all day with any little exertion because of I was so out of shape. I hardly EVER use it any more! I know its hard starting out but trust me it gets a little easier every day and you won't believe how much better you will feel. You are young, get a handle on it now. Good Luck!
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    that is weird that it only has you on 1300. It calculated 1800 for me and i'm 5'9" and at 175 lbs. Do you have a HRM? I know my elliptical was saying i was burning a good bit less than what the HRM said.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You might also find out the requirements of the fitness test and work towards training for that goal (passing). Examining your
    psychological connections to eating you mentioned in your post might also be something to look at. This is quite common and something on which volumes of information has been written, probably easily available to you on an internet search. Set realistic and attainable goals. 100 pounds seems far away. Break it down into shorter and reachable milestones might be helpful. Good luck in your new lifestyle.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Each day that you exercise it will get a little bit easier! When I first tried the elliptical, I only made it 3 minutes (partly because of my knees), I added a minute or a few each time and the last time I did it, I was able to do 20. I do other exercises also, but I feel so much better and more fit than when I first started, and I'm still way overweight at 235 pounds. Hang in there, and keep trying!
  • donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87
    Options
    May I add to all these suggestions that you should see your doctor to clear any physical limitations before you start any exercise program ? Congrats on your decision to get healthy.:flowerforyou: