anyone into green tea?

Options

Replies

• Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea daily and love it!! And I don't put anything in my tea.
    I buy loose leaf teas, much better.. I'd say I am a tea addict.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I brew decaf green tea (6 bags) and peach herbal tea (2 bags) in my iced tea pot to make 2 quarts of iced tea, and I drink about a quart a day. I tried it with lemon and one other flavor, but preferred the peach.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I drink roughly 3 cups of green tea a day...I sometimes by flavored ones to help with taste...but look it...I don't drink them for taste...I drink them to supress my hunger pangs, caffeine to stay focus, and keep my motabolism sped up.
  • DivaMaria225
    DivaMaria225 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My fav is Twinings Green Mint tea. The mint masks the bitter flavor but remember to wait 5 minutes(once youve added the hot water to your mug) THEN steep your tea bag for no more than 3 minutes...its perfect! No bitter taste!
  • yllom333
    yllom333 Posts: 3
    Options
    What. If you don't like it, don't drink it. The effects on weight loss are minimal, and any cardiovascular/antioxidant effects it may have you won't really 'see'. That being said, how can you not like it? It's so much better than plain water. :drinker:

I have read a lot of health and wieght loss benefits associated with green tea. Green tea can boost your metabolism, inhibit fat absorption, help glucose regulation, and reduce your appetite.
    Plus is you substitute it for your morning coffee that you put milk and sugar in, you can save those calories!
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I have a cup of YamaMotoYama Sushi Bar Style Green Tea every morning. It literally makes my day. :drinker:
  • jessewessy1990
    jessewessy1990 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I drink roughly 3 cups of green tea a day...I sometimes by flavored ones to help with taste...but look it...I don't drink them for taste...I drink them to supress my hunger pangs, caffeine to stay focus, and keep my motabolism sped up.

Do they have enough caffeine for that?
  • Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i drink green tea faithfully! I have for at least 2 years now. My FI makes the BEST cup of hot tea i have ever had in my LIFE! its something about the way he mixes it and the air. i dont know but its delish!

I use honey in mine not all of the time normally at nights the 4 16oz glasses i drink during the day are plain.

If it is bitter you are leaving the tea bag in to long.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Green Tea has roughly 30-40mg of caffeine per 8oz
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I drink mint green tea - the Moroccan Mint made by Stash is my favorite. I drink 2 cups a day at least. I sweeten mine with Stevia.
  • jessewessy1990
    Options

Not too much then! I mean it wouldn't get me through a full night shift without yawning :laugh:
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

yup...and I sometimes use two tea bags..one bag is a blue berry green tea...and the other is a strong japanese green tea that has nearly 50mg of caffeine.
  • jessewessy1990
    Options

yup...and I sometimes use two tea bags..one bag is a blue berry green tea...and the other is a strong japanese green tea that has nearly 50mg of caffeine.

I can see the benefits with two bags then! Compared to coffee though its much better
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I'm trying to like it because i know all of the health benefits,but I think it has a bitter kind of after taste.The only way i can drink it is with a little bit of honey.I prefer cammomile or peppermint :)

2 things are likely happening if it tastes bitter:
    1. The water is too hot when you steep the tea. You want to boil your water and wait 5 minutes before pouring it over green tea leaves. Boiling water makes it bitter
    2. You are steeping the tea too long. Most green teas go bitter after 3 minutes in the water. Some it is more like 90 seconds. So steep quick and take the tea leaves out. Also experiment, some tea tastes great in 2 minutes, others only need one.

Try these 2 things and see if you like it more.
  • islaybower
    islaybower Posts: 57
    Options
    I don't really enjoy green tea, but I absolutely swear by matcha powder - I mix 1g with a shot of water every morning and gulp it down, then I'm done for the day!

It may be placebo or coincidence, but I was stuck on a major plateau and when I started drinking the matcha the weight started to shift, and I'm also convinced I have a teeny bit more energy for the day when I take it than when I don't. Saying that, I really think it's largely placebo and most of the antioxidant effects aren't really visible, but are still doing me good, long term.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I combine Salada green tea/decaf & Bigelow Lemon Ginger w/ fresh lemon slice and drink 22oz - three times a day - an hour before each meal. I also have Diet Arizona green tea in the fridge and Lipton Iced Green Decaf tea w/strawberry acai powder in the cupboard if I feel like a cold drink. Overall, I drink about 64oz of green tea a day. It has boosted my metabolism right out of a 2 week plateau - I haven't looked back.
    For me it WORKS!
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

I can see the benefits with two bags then! Compared to coffee though its much better

Yup...but I cant drink black coffee...if I have coffee...it's going to be girly..no disrespect...but it's going to be something like a caramel mocha latte..must have the whip cream and chocolate drizzle...mmmmm
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I think the key thing with green tea is not to use boiling water. The water should have been left to cool for few minutes, plus I only leave the bag in for around a minute. My favourite is dragonfly chung mee green tea, but in last week I've tried twinnings green tea with apple and pear, and green tea with pineapple and grapefruit, both were really nice and I've never liked fruit or herb teas in the past.
  • jessewessy1990
    Options
    I don't really enjoy green tea, but I absolutely swear by matcha powder - I mix 1g with a shot of water every morning and gulp it down, then I'm done for the day!

It may be placebo or coincidence, but I was stuck on a major plateau and when I started drinking the matcha the weight started to shift, and I'm also convinced I have a teeny bit more energy for the day when I take it than when I don't. Saying that, I really think it's largely placebo and most of the antioxidant effects aren't really visible, but are still doing me good, long term.

Antioxidants probably do more than you think, cellulite, skin condition, hair condition etc....not a quick change so may not notice but over time has improved on these???
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Drinking matcha has way more antioxidants, since you are consuming the entire tea leaf. IT probably isn't a placebo, I feel extra energized after a cup of matcha.