Should I or should I not?

Options
Change my ticker to smaller goals? Okay, I have quite a bit of weight to lose to get a healthy BMI, 196.2 pounds to be in fact. Knowing that I have to lose that much is frustrating and overwhelming sometimes. I was thinking of breaking it down to smaller goals and when I reach that set another smaller goal. For example I am at 288.2 right now and I was going to set my ticker to my 1st goal of getting to 250, then when I reach that set it to 200, and then when I reach that set it to 150, and when I reach that set it to 110, my goal weight. What do you guys think, should I do it that way or not? Just wanting some different opinions.

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I think you should do whatever makes sense to you and motivates you! There's no right or wrong way of going about this. Do what works for you :smile:
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    For me, I am the kind of person that would work for. It feels better to meet smaller goals but still be able to add them together. I'm kind of doing that now. I started MFP at 180 and picked 30lbs out of the air. I didn't want to overwhelm and discourage myself. It's nice to know I'm close to having to "re-evaluate" my new goal.
  • neh310
    neh310 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    For me too, smaller goals work better. I gave myself an inital goal to lose 10 pounds, and have kept it at that. I broke out of the 200s this morning. 10 pounds seem much more easy to lose than looking at the 50-60 I still want to lose. I would definitely break it down into smaller goals - but this is your journey, so you should do what works best for you. :happy: I might need to change my ticker myself!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I set mine for my first goal of 170. I honestly don't know what my healthy goal weight will be...I'm sure I zoomed right past it at some point. I'll reassess when I get there! I like the idea of smaller goals, it feels more managable to me. So for my vote, should!
  • AandJsMommy
    AandJsMommy Posts: 314
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I have decided to change it to smaller goals.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    That's what I've done- I set it for my first goal of 200 lbs(70 lb loss) then when I hit that, I'll celebrate and reevaluate my new goals.
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think it is more motivating to set smaller goals and reward yourself in some way (new clothing) when you reach those goals, celebrate! That way you will be more motivated to work towards your next goal and know that you are quite capable of doing it!! Keep up the good work :)
  • AandJsMommy
    AandJsMommy Posts: 314
    Options
    I think it is more motivating to set smaller goals and reward yourself in some way (new clothing) when you reach those goals, celebrate! That way you will be more motivated to work towards your next goal and know that you are quite capable of doing it!! Keep up the good work :)

Thank you, that is exactly what I am going to do, when I reach a certain goal I am going to buy some new clothes and then whatever else I can think of to keep motivated!
  • empenTen
    empenTen Posts: 29
    Options
    I set mine on percentages. Overall I want to lose 60% of my starting weight - that is quite daunting but I broke it down into 5% chunks so have small goals to help me get going.

5% alongide the stone and half stone goals definitely helps me
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I think smaller goals of 10 pounds at a time would be better because you would feel more motivated. I made smaller goals for myself and it worked better for me
  • charlieduc
    charlieduc Posts: 108
    Options
    That is a great idea. I am like you...I have a lot to lose. You will likely feel more accomplished this way.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I do that mentally, but I keep my ticker at my overall goal.

Right now I am fighting to get under 200... these last 9 lbs are being a pain in the booty. I wish they would get OFF my booty instead!