Don't Like Fruits & Veggies

Options
DarkFlutter
DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
What do you do if you don't like fruits and veggies.
More often than not it's a texture thing as opposed to a taste thing.

Current Likes are...
Fruits: Apples, Green Grapes
Veggies: Steamed Broccoli, Corn, Potatoes (in any form)

How can I still get the nutrition when I don't like them?

Replies

• anunknownmouse
    Options
    Eat them anyway. But in all seriousness, try different vegetables, there's so many it's hard to believe you could dislike everything. Not to mention the variety of ways to prepare them.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    For starters, eat the vegetables that you currently enjoy (ditch the corn and potatoes,though) while slowly trying to introduce yourself to other vegetables and textures. There's so many different types of vegetables out there, so you shouldn't have trouble finding something that you like.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    For starters, eat the vegetables that you currently enjoy (ditch the corn and potatoes,though) while slowly trying to introduce yourself to other vegetables and textures. There's so many different types of vegetables out there, so you shouldn't have trouble finding something that you like.
    LOL at ditch the corn and potatoes. yoy.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason to "ditch the corn and potatoes". If they fit into your macros, feel free to eat them. Just be aware they're full of carbohydrates, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that.
  • AndiPandi687
    Options
    If it's a texture thing throw some fruits and veggies into a blender and make smoothies! I love fruit but not very keen on veggies so to get my veggies in I make smoothies. Today I had a banana pineapple kiwi spinach and carrot smoothie. I also like to add in cucumbers, celery, zucchini and whatever else I can find in the store. I can never taste them when they are mixed with fruit!
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Start off gradually and introduce other veggies in your mix. I find as you start to eat healthy, your taste palate also changes. I was never a fan of asparagus and brussel sprouts before I started on this journey, but then I found some great recipes and now I love them. I find the best way to cook vegetables is by roasting. I add roasted vegetables to almost everything I do...salads, pasta etc. I also add in scraped carrots and zucchini and onions in my meatloaf (so I don't really seem them, but they are there) and they add another dimension to the taste.
    In terms of fruits..today I had greek yogurt, some sugar and banana mashed together...totally delish. THings like frozen strawberries, mangoes and blueberries go great in smoothies....Have fun with trying out new fruits and vegetables.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend claims to not like veggies, but I cook loads of veggies, and he eats them, and likes them..... what he eats that he claims not to like -- eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini, beans, lentils.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If it's a texture thing, then I think you need to experiment with different means of cooking. Raw vs steamed vs roasted, etc. Smoothies are also a great way to sneak a lot of servings in a single meal.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    all i can say is you need to force yourself to somehow get over it, and eat them. they are good for you, if you don't eat vegies, you're health will never be brilliant.

just like anything, you have to slowly de-sensitise yourself to them, one at a time. it's all mental. start with forcing one bite of things, and eventually once you've had it enough, or tried it cooked, raw, different ways, you will probably find a way that you can tolerate.

just like some people who hate exercising they just have to do it, over and over again, and eventually get used to it, because without some exercise, you'll never have brilliant health. some things we have to do because they are good for us, not because we like them.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    What’s in Shakeology

Protein and essential amino acids help build muscles and reduce food cravings.
    Prebiotics and digestive enzymes aid in improving digestion, regularity, and nutrient absorption.
    Antioxidants and phytonutrients help counteract free radical damage that can lead to degenerative diseases.
    A daily dose of vitamins and minerals provides your body what it needs to function for optimal health

Current Likes are...

• danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have taste issues with lots of veggies and texture ones with others.

I try ones outside my comfort zone. I used to hate peppers. The last two years I'd eat them in a stirfry. This year I started adding them into my raw veggies and now I regularly eat them.

if I find recipies people rave about, I will try it. I also try veggie dishes at other peoples houses. Some like peppers and spinach, I end up liking but some like broccoli I find tastes like *kitten* no matter how it is prepared. I still cook with it in stir fry's.

However if I have to force myself to eat it regularly, I don't bother with it very often.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I also love corn, potatoes, and broccoli.

I am also willing to eat steamed peas, carrots, green beans, and cauliflower. Maybe one of those you would like. You could also try doing a mix with something you DO like -- for example, cauliflower and broccoli together.

I have taught myself to eat some foods I did not like previously (peanut butter) by using small quantities and mixing it with something I really really loved (strawberry jam). Over time I shifted the proportions.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I third the smoothie suggestion. The texture of some fruits make me go :sick: so blending it into a smoothie works for me.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    my mom hides them in foods...like different veggies in spaghetti sauce for example :)
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I hate veggies, fruit is ok with me.

Anyhow I look at it this way...they are a necessary evil on the road to my goal so I just try small servings more frequently. Instead of sitting down to a cup of broccoli I go for half a cup at two different times.

I also blend them into a protein shake in the am. Frozen ones make the drink nice and there is absolutely no texture. I sip it through a straw to make it even easier. I find carrots the easiest veggie to sneak in without knowing it's there!
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    You could always try preparing the veggies in different
    ways because most times that changes the texture and then you
    might not be as limited.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    LOL at ditch the corn and potatoes. yoy.

Yea seriously xD I eat russet (WHITE OMG) potatoes every day
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Try raosting then with a drizzle of olive oil . Different taste and texture. Try juicing them. If you don't like them think of them as medicine, a necessary evil to keep you healthy. Sometimes it is just a matter of retraining your taste buds. You might try dipping them into low-fat cheese dip, hummus, or lite ranch etc. Good luck!
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    if you eat potatoes then try mashing your cauliflower...just search a recipe for it.
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    What’s in Shakeology

Protein and essential amino acids help build muscles and reduce food cravings.
    Prebiotics and digestive enzymes aid in improving digestion, regularity, and nutrient absorption.
    Antioxidants and phytonutrients help counteract free radical damage that can lead to degenerative diseases.
    A daily dose of vitamins and minerals provides your body what it needs to function for optimal health

Current Likes are...

Supplements cannot 100% replace what you'd get from real food.