Will I gain weight?

Options
I am still learning about this whole "eating healthy" thing. I was eating 1300-1500 calories but found our my BMR is 1917. I am exercising everyday and burning about 300 calories a day. I would like to start eating my BMR as well as my exercise calories so I can make sure that my body is getting the calories it needs. My question is, will I now gain weight? I lost 4.2 lbs last week eating 1300-1500 and exercising. I need guidance please:(

Replies

• underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Please?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

Bad news: you probably will. Good news: You will feel much better.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    Losing 4.2 pounds a week is not healthy. If you're losing weight that quickly, you'll probably not gain weight from upping your caloric intake by a couple of hundred calories/day, but you'll slow it down to a more healthy rate of loss.
  • busterskins
    busterskins Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Cassie, I'm pretty new to this too and have only been on for a week and a half. To be honest I haven't ever considered my BMR other than looking at it out of curiosity to see what I'd need to survive. Have you used the calculator to work out what you'd need to lose per week at a healthy rate? You're probably losing a little too much in the first week, but the experts don't like you to lose more than a couple of pounds max per week. My sister has lost her 100lbs over the last year by doing it two or three pounds at a time., sometimes only losing a pound per week but not losing heart about it. Sounds to me like you should be getting more than 1300 per day, and why not eat your exercise calories - I do and enjoy every one of them! - exercise will benefit you in other ways than just losing weight so don't try and look at it a simply a weight loss trick. Hope you work out the figures you need and good luck on your journey! Hope you hit those targets as the treats are a great idea :-)))
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I am SO confused:(
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Better news: This is wrong.

Your BMR calories + exercise calories will still be less than your body burns. You will therefore lose more slowly, but you will still lose.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but based on my own experiences... you will probably gain 2-3 lbs the first week, maybe two. Then the weight will blast off back to where you were and continue on. This is what happend to me during all my adjustments over the last year. I was doing 1200-1300 cals a day for 7 months...adjusted a few time (each time for a month or so) over the last 5 months.

I'm now at 3100 calories daily and with my cardio I lost 3 lbs the first two weeks on that. That being said I'm trading out 4 of the 7 days of cardio for weights now and will hopefully put on 1/2 lb a week for the next 20 weeks. Then back to cutting!

-M
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Since you just joined, the 4.2 pounds is probably a lot of water weight. My first week saw a huge loss as well.

You will need to experiment to see what works for you. What works for some, eating 1,900 plus exercise, won't work for all.
  • busterskins
    busterskins Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cassie, don't worry! I put as many details as you had on your profile into another site which works this out for you. It recommends that you eat 1870 cals per day to lose 1.5lbs a week which is a healthy rate. If you're burning off calories by working out/walking etc then you will probably lose more as this figure assumes that you're doing no exercise. So even if you eat 1870 cals per day you will still lose weight. Important thing is not to try and lose too much per week and remember to recalculate your calorie intake after you've lost more then 10lbs - the bigger you are the more you burn, so you will probably find the calories you are 'allowed' get less as you lose weight.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not. Everyone is different. You'll just need to eat more and see what happens. But, even if you do gain a little initially, you'll start losing again once your body adjusts to the right amount of calories.

When I started here I was eating 400-700 net calories a day without realizing it. I started eating about 1500 net calories a day, which was difficult at first. I didn't gain, I just started losing immediately.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

This is only really relevent for someone who has been on low calories for a while.

OP: As you have just started, you should not have to worry - as long as you are at a deficit, you will lose weight (all things being equal - like water retention etc).
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

This is only really relevent for someone who has been on low calories for a while.

OP: As you have just started, you should not have to worry - as long as you are at a deficit, you will lose weight (all things being equal - like water retention etc).

My bad- I didn't pick up the "last week" in the original post- I thought OP had been doing 1300-1500 calories for a while. I apologize if my post scared you! I have egg on my face.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

My bad- I didn't pick up the "last week" in the original post- I thought OP had been doing 1300-1500 calories for a while. I apologize if my post scared you! I have egg on my face.

It happens to me too:happy:

Its never bad having that thread out there - I am sure some folks will be reading this thread who have been on low cals for a while.:smile: