discouraged...

Options
I have been working my butt off for 3 months and have only lost 12 pounds. I have lost about 12 inches from my hips and waist but wish i was seeing more results.

I stay under my calories everyday and workout for about 45 minutes everyday except one to let my muscles rest. Workout includes jillian michaels 30 day shred and 20-25 minutes of interval training on my elliptical. I already completed the 30 day shred one time and barely lost anything.

Im sick of trying so hard to lose weight and have nothing in return. I use to drink nothing but soda but have been soda free for 3 months except for a small sprite every now and then. (maybe 4 or 5 in 3 months)

What should i do? What should I change?

Replies

• Blanche76
    Blanche76 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    12 lbs is good, dont give up. I've been doing the 30 shred but I've only been doing it for a few weeks, but if you are losing inches that is still great!
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    you will need to make your diary public to get a good answer.
  • koneil83
    koneil83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    sorry thought it already was... it is now
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    12 pounds is a good number... don't get discouraged. 1LB a week is very sustainable and you're doing great! Keep going... I was hoping for more loss per week as well but I'm happy just knowing I'm working hard and making healthier choices.

This is today... ask me again next week when the scale hasn't budged and I will say something else I'm sure :-)
  • rjbalcer
    rjbalcer Posts: 57
    Options
    Looks to me like you need to drink LOTS more water..try it it works!! Good Luck!!
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    12 inches is great! You're doing it the right way, setting yourself up for success!! You can do it, just keep at it. It always seems longer than it really is!
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Four lbs a month is not bad at all... You have no idea how many people would LOVE to be in your shoes !
  • cass89
    cass89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    you're doing well. 12lbs in 12 weeks seems on track as that's what they recommend.

have you taken before and after shots? you may be toning also and gaining a little muscle. don't be discouraged babe its a marathon not a sprint.
  • HikeRunLift
    HikeRunLift Posts: 70
    Options
    12 pounds in 3 monthys? thats 1 pound a week. Thats pretty consistant weight loss to me ;)
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    12 inches in 3 months!? And you are discouraged!??

That is awesome work and you should be proud!!!

Remember, you want these changes to last forever. If it's slow and steady, the more likely it is a lifestyle change, not a fad!

Don't be discouraged, 12 inches is a lot. Stick to it :-)

ps. I haven't looked at your diary or anything, so I am purely commenting on the fact that you have lost 12 inches :-)
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You absolutely have to eat at least 1200 calories. If you are actively working out every day you can and should go higher than that. When I work out I eat back about 1/3 of my exercise calories. I am hesitant to eat them all back because I am not sure that MFP does not over calculate the exercise calories. I have been on here for 105 days and only lost 12 lbs so you are progressing nicely. Keep up the exercise, increase your calories a bit and you will do fine.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Go check out this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

I'm not expert since I'm new here, but you might want to add a column for sodium to your food diary and watch those levels. Congrats on your loss so far, that's great! =)

edit: typo
  • dvcab
    dvcab Posts: 78
    Options
    as they say the slower the better and it will be more manageable for life. if you lose a great amount on a fad diet most times you will put it all back on then some. what you are doing is great your learning portion control and whats good for you and keep it for a life time.
  • YouKnowWhoThisIs
    Options
    If I were you, I would lower my carbs some and up my protein.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    slow and steady is the way to go. I say be happy with your 1lb a week and keep going, in a year it will be 50 lbs and in 2 years 100lbs (I don't know how much you want to lose) I'm just saying it adds up, but weight loss takes time, it's not a race.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 17 of the 30DS and haven't lost a pound doing it, but the muscle I am building is pretty impressive. That's the trouble with muscle is that it's really heavy, so increasing muscle masks weight loss on the scale, but will increase your body's overall ability to burn fat and energy. It pays off in the long run, but can be discouraging if you're not seeing the numbers drop like you want them too. I totally understand that because I'm going through it right now! Having a 12 inch loss is a great success though!! That is more then you would shrink if you'd just lost 20lbs of fat without actually gaining any muscle. If you want to see bigger numbers falling off, you have to increase your cardio so that you're burning MORE fat then the weight of the muscle you're building. That may lead to over training and exhaustion though. You're body is going through a period of change, and it just takes time. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but stick with it and I'm sure you'll get the results you want.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I just looked at your diary and will share what I saw in comparison to what's worked for me. Too much processed food!!!

Try eating cleaner. Cut out the high carb processed items, cut out sugar, and cut out wheat. Work on eating protein, fresh fruit and veggies in addition to exercising and you should see more movement on the scale and in the inches.
  • YouKnowWhoThisIs
    Options
    Has your size changed?? I would go and buy 1 tight shirt and pants. Something you barely fit into. When it fits comfortabley, you'll know it's working
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You absolutely have to eat at least 1200 calories. If you are actively working out every day you can and should go higher than that. When I work out I eat back about 1/3 of my exercise calories. I am hesitant to eat them all back because I am not sure that MFP does not over calculate the exercise calories. I have been on here for 105 days and only lost 12 lbs so you are progressing nicely. Keep up the exercise, increase your calories a bit and you will do fine.

I am seeing exercise calories in the 800-1200 calorie range in your diary and you are barely eating 1200 calories. Bump your intake up a bit. You don't want to be canalizing your hard earned muscle and you need the extra calories for energy.
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    u are doing a great job, and just so you know I have been with this since Jan 18-2012 and to this date I have lost 161lbs which is about 4lbs a month and Im not discouraged I'm happy cuz Im doing this to be forever, it's a lifestyle change. Hang in their just think if you stop then what? don't give up, it's for the long haul......one thing my sister taught me and she is a personal trainer she said to me stop looking at the scale! how do your clothes fit and this is a health benefit for your body. I didn't like it but i listen to her and I'm glad i did:} keep it up and don't quit!!!!:flowerforyou: