Need Advice on Breathing & Running PLEASE HELP

Options
I just started running, doing this C25K. I have played soccer & softball for most of my childhood & adult life & its not the same kind of run.. People assume that since I can play soccer and/or Softball I am automatically a good runner, not true. I am falling in love with running, the freedom I get from it, the wind against my face, the view of the mountains (priceless).. The aches and pains are killing me but the feel after is worth it all.. My thing is breathing, I keep finding myself being distracted by putting to much focus on my breathing... Any suggestion on how to maintain good breathing techniques without much thought..

Replies

• Brechin89
    Brechin89 Posts: 92
    Options
    Slow your run down... Rule of thumb... If your running you should still be able to hold a conversation. If you have to stop and gasp for breath before you can carry on a conversation then you need to slow your heart rate. Whats happening is your eating muscle and fat vs just fat...

If your like me and you hate running at a incredible slow pace because its not as a comfortable run as a slower jog, then I would suggest an ipod, sing along in your head or outloud is even better. If you don't have one get on a treadmill and watch TV...

Keep up the C2k but keep it at your own pace. If you can't run hard for 5min after a few weeks then just keep doing it till 5min is no problem...
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Practice when you are walking or doing yoga or similar where your focus is on relaxing, breathing in through the nose (to warm the air) and out through the mouth (if you can). It will also help your body stay relaxed during the run.

Some might disagree, but when I was running 5-6 miles at a time it did wonders for me.
  • Lucianna_D
    Lucianna_D Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much... I have a treadmill I love running on the treadmill, but I rather be outdoors. I have an ipod but havent so much listened to it.. I can't keep a convo during running so maybe I am running to fast.. Thank you
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I breath in for three steps, out for three steps. I maintain a breathy conversation with my dog, but couldn't tell him a whole story lol. Up a hill or a cruise interval, I breath in for three, out for two. I think you're meant to breath in through your nose and out through your mouth - but the morning cold has me rather congested so I breath through my mouth. I find I get more dehydrated, so covering my lips in lip balm beforehand really helps me.
  • Brechin89
    Brechin89 Posts: 92
    Options
    Practice when you are walking or doing yoga or similar where your focus is on relaxing, breathing in through the nose (to warm the air) and out through the mouth (if you can). It will also help your body stay relaxed during the run.

Some might disagree, but when I was running 5-6 miles at a time it did wonders for me.

I've heard this before, but this goes out the window if she is running too fast. Why? Because when you are running too fast its almost impossible to get all the air you need to sustain that run by breathing through your nose... Why do athletes breathe through their mouth?

Try not to think about running just zone out and go into your happy place. Cardio is 90% mental, 10% physical...
  • EmmaGem76
    EmmaGem76 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am in week 5 of the c25k program and it still takes me a while to find my breathing rhythm. A friend who has complete 3 marathons suggested taking 2 breaths in and one breath out (in-in/oouuttt) so I have been consciously thinking about that and it does seem to help.
  • Lucianna_D
    Options
    ohhhhh nice i'm definitley going to do this.. It gets rather annoying cause I lose my stride..
  • Lucianna_D
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the much needed advice.. I REALLY REALLY NEED THIS..:love: