Anyone make homemade chili?

Options
I absolutely love chili, but I've never made it from scratch. I was wondering if any MFPers made healthy chili - vegetarian or non-vegetarian are both tasty - and if they would be willing to share their recipes and/or instructions/tips, I would love to try them!

Replies

• Beautiful_Ideal
    Beautiful_Ideal Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Whoops. Sorry, I should have put this in "recipes." Sorry all, I'm new!
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I recommend the Truly Texas spice mix. It's amazing.

That said, I make turkey and black bean chili, and sadly, don't measure anything because I'm lazy and it always tastes good. I use at least 2 14 oz cans of beans and tomatoes, 1+ lb of 99% fat free turkey and spice to taste (chili powder, cumin, oregano and whatever else looks good (or use the spice mix)). I usually add at least 2 onions and a few bell peppers, plus whatever hot peppers I can find.

Sorry if that's not particularly complete. I just throw a lot of things together in a pot and call it done :)
  • sandraDallas
    Options
    I make chili with ground turkey. I don't cook enough to bother buying spices - they lose their "oomph" long before I use them up. So I buy Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili kit. It comes with all the seasonings (even the salt!) and you can always add stuff to it if you want. The seasonings are so perfect I have had guests ask me for the RECIPE! All you have to do is buy the kit, an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce, and the protein (beef, turkey, whatever) of your choice. If you want to increase the protein add beans but be sure to rinse the beans thoroughly and DON'T use the bean juice in the can - that will cause more gas.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love chili, but I've never made it from scratch. I was wondering if any MFPers made healthy chili - vegetarian or non-vegetarian are both tasty - and if they would be willing to share their recipes and/or instructions/tips, I would love to try them!

I make some almost every weekend.
    1 pound of ground beer (90%lean) browned
    1 pound round steak, flank steak, or sirloin cut into small cubes, browned
    2 cans of navy beans
    2 cans of black beans
    2 cans of kidney beans
    2 cans of diced tomatoes with chiles (I use Rotel brand)
    1 can of tomato sauce
    2 packets of McCormick's original chili seasoning

throw it all in 4 quart crock pot. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours of so. if i'm in the mood, I cut up an onion or some peppers and toss them in as well. Once in awhile I add a can of corn.

If you want to reduce sodium content, rinse all the beans before you put them in the pot.