Investing in a Juicer

Options
Bakerchk
Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
Hello everyone. So I have been having a hard time getting all my fruits and veggies in everyday. I was thinking about investing in a juicer so I could make juice once a week and have a glass a day. What do you all think about juicers? And because there are so many out there, does anyone have any recommendations for one?

Replies

• willis84
    willis84 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Id like to know this too! I'm interested in getting one (off of eBay).
  • mexville
    mexville Posts: 3
    Options
    We have a Jack LaLanne Power Juicer and we've enjoyed it.

I believe it's best to juice and drink immediately as I think they start to oxidize as they sit.

This book has been great too giving us ideas for various combinations and helpful advice.
    The Juice Lady's Guide to Juicing for Health
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have the Breville JEXL 800....I love it! It is recommended to drink fresh juice immediatly after juicing or within 24 hours if refrigerated and stored in a glass air tight container(to the brim....less oxygen in it to oxidate it). Anyhow....fruit juices are high in sugar and may cause spikes in blood sugar because it is immediatly absorbed in the blood stream with no fiber to slow it down and is more concentrated, especially with the larger serving size (multiple pieces of fruit).

When I juice, I use mostly veggies with a peice of fruit or two added in. I love to juice green leafy veggies, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli,tomatos, apples, etc....so many recipe combinations! I also like to use the leftover pulp for soups. I freeze it until I am ready for it. That's good fiber I don't want to waste! :-) Best wishes.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have had a juicman jr for 10 years or so. My family's favorite is orange apple carrot. I use a ratio of 2 oranges, 1 apple and about 12 baby carrots. My kid love this "super vitamin juice" as I call it. I can sneak in the vegetable, and they love the taste. Like the other posts say, you do need to drink this right away, as it looses its "potency". I haven't tried many vegetables, I personally don't like to drink my nutrition, so I I try and stick to things my entire family will like.
  • Milehimama
    Milehimama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We just got a Breville Juice Fountain Compact. It's $99 at Best Buy, gets great reviews, and it takes up less space on my counter than my Vitamix. Jack LaLanne got a lot of bad reviews on juicing forums and Amazon, I'd avoid that one.
  • sandraDallas
    Options
    With juicers you end up throwing away a lot of valuable food (unless you compost the leftovers after juicing).

Consider investing in a heavy duty blender like BlendTec or VitaMix. I bought Vitamix because there is a hole in the lid and it comes with what it calls a "tamper" to push food down into the blades. I have found that tamper indispensible when filing up the blender with light stuff - I can use the tamper to push lettuce and etc. down into the blades so I don' t have to stop the machines and remove the lid. However, I bought mine several years ago and BlendTec might have the same feature now.
  • nyspotlight
    nyspotlight Posts: 124
    Options
    If the plan is to juice once a week or so, I'd recommend a cold-press style juicer. I have the Omega VRT. It doesn't heat the juice, so it stays fresh longer and doesn't destroy enzymes. Fresh juice is best, but if you don't have that time, this is the next best thing.

It also leaves a bit of pulp in there so you get a bit of fiber in your juice. Or you can strain it out.
  • Chocolatewoman
    Chocolatewoman Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have one of the old Jack LaLanne ones. I need to juice more often but it's so messy. You have to clean the strainer with a toothbrush to get every thing clean.

At one point when I was juicing carrots, everything was turning orange...counter tops, dish rag, etc. LOL.
  • GreyhoundGuru
    GreyhoundGuru Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have a Breville Juice Fountain Plus, and I absolutely love it :-)
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you juice a lot, you lose the fiber in the fruits/veggies. Are you still getting enough fiber if you use a juicer?
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have a Hamilton Beach Big mouth.. moderately priced and it gets the job done... I use it nearly everyday
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    We just got a Breville Juice Fountain Compact. It's $99 at Best Buy, gets great reviews, and it takes up less space on my counter than my Vitamix. Jack LaLanne got a lot of bad reviews on juicing forums and Amazon, I'd avoid that one.

i have the breville juice fountain compact, too. i got it from amazon for $99. it's super easy to clean too, which i think is often an issue for other juicers. and i agree with what others said about drinking it right away - i would only let mine sit for 24-48 hours before i threw it out.

good luck!!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    We have a Jack LaLanne Power Juicer and we've enjoyed it.

I believe it's best to juice and drink immediately as I think they start to oxidize as they sit.

This book has been great too giving us ideas for various combinations and helpful advice.
    The Juice Lady's Guide to Juicing for Health

This is very true. Basically from what I've read, If you make your juice the night before to take to work, it's fine, but making a big amount to last you the whole week, you are going to lose many of the nutrients.

I got into juicing after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I have a Breville Juicer.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I'd invest in a blender, if I were you. It saves a lot of money wasted on juicing. I have a Blendtec. It's very good for green smoothies. My juicer is just collecting dust.
  • MsAprilNurse
    Options
    I have a Jack Lalanne power juicer. I like it sometimes when I don't mind cleaning up afterwards. I started putting a plastic grocery bag in the receptacle to catch the pulp then the only thing i have to clean is the underside of the lid and the strainer. Other than the clean up it makes really good fruit and veggie juice.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have a magic bullet and it came with a juice mashy thing lol. I am wondering if it's really worth it to smash say and orange or two and get juice.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I got into juicing after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I have a Breville Juicer.

I almost bought a juicer after watching that movie. It's really informative if you're at all interested in juicing.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have a Hamilton Beach Big mouth.. moderately priced and it gets the job done... I use it nearly everyday

Yep! This one is great. I've owned more expensive ones but, this has been my favorite and lasted the longest. It leaves the pulp very dry.
  • raldag
    raldag Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do it! I've been juicing every day for years now. I teach Kindergarten, am exposed to every germ known to man, and haven't been sick in forever. I swear by it.