Bored of oatmeal for breakfast.Any ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I love mixed fruit with yogurt, scrambled eggs on toast, bacon and eggs, or eggs over medium on pan fried sweet potatoes. YUM!
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My dad throws his favorite fruit into it to mix it up a bit.
    I LOVE 3 scrambled egg whites, an egg yolk, a tablespoon of milk, and 1.5 ounces of ham or turkey. It's super-yummy.
  • lat3ralus65
    lat3ralus65 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt, fruit (I've been doing mango recently) and 1/2 cup of granola. Boom.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Replace the oatmeal with quinoa and cook as you normally would your oatmeal (with whatever milk you use, honey, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc., adjusting the proportion to work for cooking quinoa). A more nutritious grain and something a little different!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm all about my protein smoothies for breakfast! I even put oats in them, sometimes. Here's a good one:

1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 banana (or 1/2, personal preference!)
    1 cup coconut milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/4 cup of rolled oats (optional)

mix it up and you're good to go :) that's about 350-400 calories and it keeps me going easily until lunch time! I mix up the fruit all the time, so I don't get bored.

This... I add flaxseed to it. I have to try adding oats sometime. Another variation., banana and avacado with almond milk, flaxseed and protein powder. Yummm

I just tried avocado smoothies for the first time a few weeks ago and fell in love! So good. I add flax seeds and chia seeds to my smoothies too. Mangos are awesome to throw in, too. Whatever you have laying around works great!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Bored with Oatmeal? you are doing it wrong...Have some imagination. Oatmeal is a canvas create something on it
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My newest favorite breakfast is a 100 calorie light Thomas multigrain high fiber english muffin (toasted) with 1 tablespoon of
    Kettle almond butter and 1 tablespoon of Polaner All Fruit with Fiber and a glass of skim milk. It is so delicious and satisfying. It also give you more than 1/3 of your fiber for the day, good protein, and good fats.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are amazing. I hate that I love them so much but I have 1 tablespoon of basil seeds and 1/3 a cup of oats soaked in twice the water. Basil seeds are AMAZING and soak up a TON of water when you soak them for a few hours, and they literally double your oats while lowering the cals AND adding nutrition!
    I also add a tablespoon of natural unsweetened creamy peanut butter and unfortunately I've gotten addicted to adding a tablespoon of semisweet chocolate chips to them. But omg, so amazing and satisfying! I'm a chronic snacker but this meal satisfies me!

I actually eat more like two breakfasts and no lunch... I have a giant protein shake for breakfast and the oats and some veggies for lunch. So yummy! Adding fruit and veggies is important for each meal I've found. Makes you feel less lethargic between meals. :)
  • bossymomd
    bossymomd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My dad makes the overnight refrigerator oatmeal. He uses Apple Juice, Old Fashioned Oats and Cinnamon.....then adds fruit to it in the morning....I didn't like it, too sweet for me with the apple juice. It works just as well with skim milk but you could probably use almond milk, soy or coconut milk as well.

My sister and I have been experimenting with Oatmeal ingredients. Try some chopped pecans, cinnamon & honey

or 1 tbsp of NUTELLA stirred in after they are cooked.

Try putting the 1 tbsp of peanut butter into the oatmeal for something different

I LOVE using extracts. Try maple extract (if you can find it), honey and cinnamon...DELISH!

Why not add a scrambled egg to your meal (separate not in the oatmeal...lol) for some added protein

Enjoy! :)
  • asmithTXfit
    asmithTXfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have done the overnight oatmeal with almond milk and greek yogurt. If cooking oatmeal, I like to add a raw egg while cooking on the stove -- just stir constantly and it will cook in and you will not even notice it.

Currently .. my fave breakfast is light english muffin toasted with peanut butter and thinly sliced apple. So delish!
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    Since you mentioned the weather and not wanting hot foods, here are some no cook ideas:

parfait - yogurt or ricotta cheese, fruit of your choice, a little granola or nuts on top if you want, a sprinkle of cinnamon (you can also use your cottage cheese in this instead of yogurt or ricotta) - if you need it a bit sweeter you can mix a small amount of honey into the dairy

smoothies - there's been lots of great ideas posted already! I like putting oats in mine as it helps to bulk and give that fullness feeling you get from eating oatmeal

peanut butter and banana on wheat toast (or you can also use cream cheese)

beer and leftover pizza...just kidding...
  • petchib
    petchib Posts: 15
    Options
    Nature Valley bars are low cal and filling. I eat them several times a week.

I used to eat these too till I realised how unhealthy they are, basically just full of sugar with no nutrients at all. Granola bars are something people you should cut out if they are on a strict diet plan.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    [
    Orange Sunshine
    1 serving of Tropical Strawberry Shakeology
    1/2 cup 100% orange juice
    1/2 cup water
    or this one

Fresca
    1 serving of Tropical Strawberry Shakeology
    1 cup chopped watermelon
    1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple chunksquote]
    Normally I have oatmeal with some fruit or some wholegrain toast with peanut butter but i'm getting a bit bored with that now.I've heard about overnight refrigerator oats,they sound good! Anybody tried them?

I'm looking for recipes high in protein and good fats if possible.In this weather I just don't want hot oatmeal everyday!

[/quote]
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Bored with oatmeal? Try Boring Porridge: http://www.boringfoods.com/
  • sandraDallas
    Options
    Baked sweet potato with cinnamon and smart balance. On Sundays I bake 4 or 6 sweet potatos, remove the skins, and put them in a glass container in the fridge for the week.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    For a breakfast cereal, try an oat-based granola with nuts and milk for a good balance of all three macros.
  • kalyy
    kalyy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Today I had for breakfast one of those whole weath sandwich thins, spread one of the slices with 1/4 of an avocado and put a sliced hard boiled egg on top of the other one. :-) Actually I had 2 eggs but felt super full later.
    300 calories, 21g carbs, 15g fat and 18g protein.
  • littlefreckle91
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your replies everyone:)

In the end I made overnight oats with oatmeal,raspberries,vanilla yogurt and skim milk.It was so good and made a nice change from hot oatmeal.

Also thought of having boiled eggs or some kind of fritatta at some point:) as i have quite a few eggs to use up.

I find if I have a 400/500 calorie breakfast I definitely feel fuller through the day.
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump