Exercising while sick

Options
Hi I am in need of opinions- I have a slight sinus infection:sick: and I want to exercise (low impact pilates). Do you think that I would be pushing my body too much and potentially get sicker or that if I feel like I can manange it, go for it. Thanks ahead of time:smile:

Replies

• msplatts
    Options
    I worked out while I was sick because I was committed to a workout partner & I actually ended up getting better. But it might be different for everyone.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Hi I am in need of opinions- I have a slight sinus infection:sick: and I want to exercise (low impact pilates). Do you think that I would be pushing my body too much and potentially get sicker or that if I feel like I can manange it, go for it. Thanks ahead of time:smile:
    I have been working out while being sick since last Saturday ..aching body chills and then i had the sweats ...... i didnt do my usual workout but i did do slim n limber(stretching for 15 minutes) and Ram it up (50minutes long but i only did half) i am afraid if i stop working out it will be harder for me in the long run ... just my opinion .....i am not pushing myself
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I often find out that if I work out while I'm under the weather that I seem to beat the illness quicker than if I just sit it out and suffer. But that's working for me and I believe that you need to temper your workout with how you feel as you get into it. Don't push yourself just do everything at a lower impact, slower pace.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    OMG! This is the perfect thread for me today!!! Since yesterday my lungs have been hurting now today my ears and throat are aching I had the chills last night @ work. Ug! So I just started couch 2 5k and didn't want to miss a day and have to catch up, so I did it! I was wondering if this was a mistake or not?! Sounds like you guys kept trucking and have done well with it I'm so glad I just did it! And rachi go for it!!! The worst is when you fall off the wagon and can't jump back on!
  • dirtydserieswoot
    Options
    sit in a steam room if you have one available is great for the sinus's. Sit in it about 5 mins before and after a workout it will help you get over the infection while you sweat out waste products very cleansing .
  • jbunzsno
    jbunzsno Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    OOOHHH! I know the answer to this one. I just saw it on the TV show the Doctor's yesterday. If it is anything above the waist (i.e. cold, sinus infection, cough, etc.) they said it's okay to do a light workout, but if it is below the waist (i.e. stomach flu, diarrhea, etc.) then it is best to let the body rest. So I say don't stop if you don't have to. That is always my problem, I get into a routine and then I get sick and once I start feeling better I have a hard time getting back into my routine. You know your body the best though. Good Luck!
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I take the route of starting the workout either at a lower intensity or a lighter workout and see how you feel. If nothing else a 30 min walk or streching can be a good break in the regular routine.

Be sure to consider others, if you have a fever, coughs etc it is better to workout at home or outside so you don't "share" with others.
  • kholmes
    kholmes Posts: 214
    Options
    I just got over a sinus infection. In the past I have always used getting sick as an excuse to why I couldn't work out and then one thing leads to another and I would stop working out. So I just did my typically routine. If I was doing weights I was ok. On the aerobic days I did scale it back a bit because my head was pounding but I kept going. On scheduled rest days that in previous weeks I would have done some routine I did take off to let my body catch up, but I only did that on the scheduled rest days. When I did YOGA I would get light headed and my sinus would start throbbing so I had to select which exercises I did based on that.

So I say if you can keep going. If you need modify or scale back, but don't let this be an excuse for you. You can do it. Just hang in.:tongue:
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It is actually okay to workout when you are sick as long as you do not have any of the following:

-Fever
    -Upset stomach
    -Aches and pains in joints and muscles
    -Hacking cough or lung congestion