Tell me about your smartphones!

Options
firesoforion
firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
So my old phone just broke, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to a smartphone. I have very little idea of where to start! I've been doing some research, and I'll tell you that I'm primarily interested in android phones, and that my carrier will soon be T-Mobile, and that's when I'm going to make the switch to the smartphone.

There is a core set of functions I'd like it to perform which is essentially the reason I'd like a smartphone: RSS Feeds, web browsing/email, good phone call quality, videos, and SoundHound. Skype, maps and a camera would be a pretty nice bonus. I also want to be able to do facebook and twitter from it, but I'm pretty sure that's included in the above list of applications.

Attributes I'd value: Decent battery life, durable, relatively fast, dependable.

So, what kind of smartphone do you have? Would you recommend it? What factors do you consider most important in choosing a smartphone? Are there any other cool applications and uses you love?

I'm getting pretty excited!!!

Replies

• thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    iPhone. Love. I had a Droid Incredible for a while, and it was a pain in the butt - battery died really quickly, the voice calls were always scratchy, and it's just not as nice an interface. If you can shell out the bucks (or if you're long overdue for an upgrade, like I was :drinker:) the iPhone is really worth it. (And that's coming from a die-hard PC user.)
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Nice! That really makes the iphone sound appealing. I'm not sure that it'll be an option because T-Mobile won't do iphones for another year or so. If I wind up going the ebay route on phones, I'll definitely look at those.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    iPhone. Love. I had a Droid Incredible for a while, and it was a pain in the butt - battery died really quickly, the voice calls were always scratchy, and it's just not as nice an interface. If you can shell out the bucks (or if you're long overdue for an upgrade, like I was :drinker:) the iPhone is really worth it. (And that's coming from a die-hard PC user.)
    So agree, I've just upgraded from a Huawei X1 to an iPhone. I don't know how I ran my life prior! lol
    Also I always found lots of apps just crashed my old phone, it was a huge PITA.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have the iPhone and I LOVE IT! Plus the myfitness pal app uses the scanner to add foods. I love that I can do everything I need from emails and just calling all on touch screen. I'm not a fan key broads.
  • LisaF1163
    LisaF1163 Posts: 141
    Options
    I also have the iPhone, and I LOVE IT! I briefly had a Blackberry (both the Tour and the Storm 2), and they just really sucked. I love my iPhone to bits and pieces, I'll never switch to anything else!
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy S or SII are probably the best smart phones for t mobile. T mobile is my carrier and I have Samsung Exhibit II because it was more in my price range but I know several people with galaxy and love it
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    iPhone! Awesome MFP app on there too!!
  • wackedoutpet13
    wackedoutpet13 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have an HTC Incredible. I like the Android system because you can customize it more but my phone has a weird bug that I don't think is present in other phones. I would not recommend the Incredible, but another Android.

Android devices come with free turn-by-turn navigation. iPhones do not.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yup...iPhone user here too! Love it. I read that iPhone users have the highest rate of customer loyalty, I totally understand why.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have a IPhone that is older than dirt, 3G model. It is so old most apps will not load on it LOL. But the dang thing just will not die so I can get another one :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: But when I do, it will be another IPhone as long as we stay with ATT.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Shop around. Look at the reviews from each model available that's compatible with Tmobile.

My husband has the Droid Charge, and I have the LG Revolution. We are big fans of the Android interface over the iPhones, and I hated the blackberry tiny keys.
  • nirvi9
    nirvi9 Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm an iPhone owner, but have worked in the past for app developers/RIM so I've used BlackBerry's for work.. and although I love my iPhone there are certain things that I liked a lot more on the BlackBerry.

For my iPhone I really like the browsing/game apps (browsing can be slow on BlackBerrys and games aren't the greatest), that it doubles as an iPod and the crazy number of apps that are available for it

My favourite things when I had my BlackBerry were BBM/email (I hate email on my iPhone now, and iMessage in my opinion just doesn't compare at all to BBM), and some of the RIM built apps that were really cool, like BBM Music, Travel (if you do any kind of travelling often this app is amazing!) and Traffic. If you're interested in checking out BlackBerrys at all, I'd recommend the Bold 9900.. that was my favourite :)
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have a Casio Commando. It's a military spec (waterproof, shock proof, dust proof) Android phone. It has all the normal Android features with the advantage of not breaking easily. I have dropped it down the stairs, left it sitting out in the pouring rain, had it stomped on my donkeys, and it's still in great shape.
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The motorola atrix. it's inexpensive and the battery life lasts for several days. I actually have an iphone, but the axtrix has all of its benefits plus a dual core processor. It's fast. It seemed to have copie:smile: d iphone tho.
  • courtcourtfnp
    courtcourtfnp Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've had my iPhone for about 1 1/2 years & wouldn't trade it for anything. Typically by this time I'm aching to try a new phone, but now I've found something I want to stick with. It's awesome...I can't really complain about anything.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    LG Android, pretty good and easy to use.
  • mattgleason
    mattgleason Posts: 21
    Options
    T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II totally rocks. We were going to go with a cheaper model to save money and I am so glad we didn't. It didn't hurt that I found this app right after we got the phones and I've lost 10 lbs, but I can highly and wholeheartedly recommend this phone.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have a Blackberry and I HATE it .The battery lasts about 6 hours on a good day, the thing keeps freezing , it takes ages to turn on. The apps are okay but I am sure Android's will be just as good , if not better.All my friends ith BB's have very similar complaints, so it's not that I just have a dud phone.

My next phone will be a Samsung Galaxy.
    iPhones are too expensive and their customer service in South Africa is shocking
  • ChesterAyers
    ChesterAyers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I must be the only one with a Windows Phone 7 :( It makes me so sad that major carriers like Sprint and Verizon only have one option for the OS. If you have or can get T-mobile or AT&T they have a ton of options for Windows Phone. I absolutely LOVE the operating system and it is the easiest and most inuitive phone that I have ever owned. I will continue to stay with it until they somehow change it for the worse, which I doubt happening. And with upcoming higher integration with Windows 8 the deal gets even sweeter. The only downside is if you want the phone to have itunes level apps and games, while the WP7 marketplace is robust it doesn't hold a candle to Apple's offering at the moment. I find it understandable though, Microsoft just launched WP7 a year and a half ago while Apple has had the app store up and running for many years.

Ultimately, I would say at least go check the phones available on your service out. They are great and easy to use for anyone even a non-techie. And it is especially great with calendar/contact/document management, with autoupdating of tons of updating with no extra input from you as a user. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S. An Android phone. I like it, I've had no problems out of it. :)