Birth Control

Options
13»

Replies

• KristysLosing
    KristysLosing Posts: 683
    Options
    How many women gained weight with bc?? If I stick to my eating plan and exercise can I beat the birth control weigh gain?
    I tracked my calories (fitday) when I got my mirena. I'd been tracking before. I tracked. I ate the same. I was super careful. I gained 7-10 pounds in the first month. I also had other unpleasant effects despite my doctor's assurances. I had that dang thing removed. Not a moment too soon.
    It's weird, Mirena is one of those things people either absolutely love or absolutely hate. I've had one for a while now, and I think it's great; never have to worry about messing it up and I haven't had a period in more than three years. But I've come across a lot of people who have horrible reactions to it. I wonder what's going on there.

I'm actually in the middle. The only side effect I've had is weight gain and a complete inability to lose it. But I LOVE that it cost me $25 for five years (copay), barely any period at all and I don't have to think about it. Everything but the weight thing has been great, which is why I haven't had it removed. I don't have a lot of choices at the moment.

OMG...you only had to pay $25 for your Mirena!?!??!?! That is awesome and SO not fair! lol This is when I found out my insurance doesn't cover birth control. I didn't check because I'd never had that issue before. So I am fighting over a $2400 bill because I got it to control another medical issue, not for the BC aspect.
  • sunkis1769
    sunkis1769 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been on the pill off and on for years. I am noticing that now I am only loosing weight on my period (blank) weeks. It is soo annoying, because I am not losing an oz for 3 weeks, then bam I am down 5 or more pounds. I do think the pill makes you retain water. I am thinking about switching methods, just not sure what.
  • Amy271189
    Amy271189 Posts: 66
    Options
    I have had the contreceptive implant for about 9 months now and with this the side affects can be nonsense bleeding, which causes bleeding almost everyday!

I went to the doctor who has given me the contreceptive pill which I have been taking for the last 6 months( I know doesn't make sense why they don't just take the damn thing out and just let me take the Pill. Apparently I have to have it in at least a year!.) Even being on two lots of birth control I havent experienced any weight gain what so ever.

Hope this helps =)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    How many women gained weight with bc?? If I stick to my eating plan and exercise can I beat the birth control weigh gain?
    I tracked my calories (fitday) when I got my mirena. I'd been tracking before. I tracked. I ate the same. I was super careful. I gained 7-10 pounds in the first month. I also had other unpleasant effects despite my doctor's assurances. I had that dang thing removed. Not a moment too soon.
    It's weird, Mirena is one of those things people either absolutely love or absolutely hate. I've had one for a while now, and I think it's great; never have to worry about messing it up and I haven't had a period in more than three years. But I've come across a lot of people who have horrible reactions to it. I wonder what's going on there.

I'm actually in the middle. The only side effect I've had is weight gain and a complete inability to lose it. But I LOVE that it cost me $25 for five years (copay), barely any period at all and I don't have to think about it. Everything but the weight thing has been great, which is why I haven't had it removed. I don't have a lot of choices at the moment.

OMG...you only had to pay $25 for your Mirena!?!??!?! That is awesome and SO not fair! lol This is when I found out my insurance doesn't cover birth control. I didn't check because I'd never had that issue before. So I am fighting over a $2400 bill because I got it to control another medical issue, not for the BC aspect.

Usually insurance will cover it if it's for a medical condition. I hope you win your fight!

Luckily, I have very good insurance and it covers BC. I was paying $10 a month for the pill, which isn't much, but $5 a year is better.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I did and I didn't eat more, I ate less and building muscle is harder on the pill because it's hormones for females and we have to work harder to have toned muscle..if I eat anything besides a salad for lunch I gain weight. Sucks but I only gained 10 pounds then I started fighting like mad and lost 5 of it and that's acceptable for now.

It's not a myth ..you can gain weight , women are designed to be the softer sex. More hormones more softness . Softness can be nice but work out and fight it from getting out of control and drink your water!
  • jules1202
    jules1202 Posts: 65
    Options
    I did and I didn't eat more, I ate less and building muscle is harder on the pill because it's hormones for females and we have to work harder to have toned muscle..if I eat anything besides a salad for lunch I gain weight. Sucks but I only gained 10 pounds then I started fighting like mad and lost 5 of it and that's acceptable for now.

It's not a myth ..you can gain weight , women are designed to be the softer sex. More hormones more softness . Softness can be nice but work out and fight it from getting out of control and drink your water!

Good point :-) Hormones can also affect your thyroid and sometimes this is the case for women who cannot lose weight while taking BC.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options

I'm sorry this is too little too late, but for future reference at least, go to Planned Parenthood or a similar women's health clinic. They price things based on ability to pay. I actually paid nothing for my Mirena; I went to a women's health clinic and explained that while I had insurance, I didn't want to use it because I didn't want my parents questioning me about it (and the insurance was through my dad's work at the time). I couldn't afford it out of pocket either though. They completely understood, charged me nothing, and just requested that I think about making a donation to the clinic when I had the ability (which I did and still do, just to support such a fantastic place).
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm on the depo shot and have been for over a year. My doctor told me that a lot of women say they gain weight but in all actuality they had weight issues to begin with (like myself). I did not see a weight gain, just stayed at the same weight I've been for the last few years and have been able to lose weight even though I'm on the shot.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    weight gain on BC is a myth.

There are so many things I would like to say to you right now, but they will all get me either warned or banned.
    Agreed.
  • melianne125
    melianne125 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The birth control shot, I have heard, does have high incidence of weight gain, though I'm not a doctor or researcher, so I can't say what the cause of that might be.

THIS^^ I gained 42# in 6 months!

edit: typo
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

There are so many things I would like to say to you right now, but they will all get me either warned or banned.

^^^ Depo Provera + DGAF attitude at the end of a crappy relationship = 45lbs

It's still harder for me to drop weight and I get rabid hungry on weekends after eating within my limits all week.

The first time I took it for 2 years I didn't gain anything. I stopped, then went back on it for two years, and that's when my hips exploded.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

^^^ Depo Provera + DGAF attitude at the end of a crappy relationship = 45lbs

It's still harder for me to drop weight and I get rabid hungry on weekends after eating within my limits all week.

The first time I took it for 2 years I didn't gain anything. I stopped, then went back on it for two years, and that's when my hips exploded.

I'm not even hungrier or eating more on Mirena. I'm eating a low-calorie diet and exercising and I cannot drop below 152. I gained 20 pounds on this thing and nothing I do will take it off.

I did NOT have that problem on the pill, but a lot of people on Mirena don't have this issue, so just because it didn't happen to me doesn't make it a myth. I have no tolerance for that thinking.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Dang, BC is some scary stuff. Happy I've never needed it. I'd probably just use condoms if I did.
  • aost
    aost Posts: 44
    Options
    Im a medical student (soon doctor lol so that might give me some credibility ) and COMPLETELY agree with this.

And the depo provera (the shot) is very high on progesterone so alot of ppl gain weight but luckily most of it is water weight (but if u can go for IUD or something else )

WOO! GO DOC!!!! =D

HAHAHA thanks
    :tongue:
  • 110n2012
    Options

Agreed.

A myth? Your stupidity is certainly a reality.