Shift work

Options
How do people handle shift work using the myfitnesspal and fitbit? I just started out, and so far I am calling my waking hours a "day". For example, today my "day" started at 3pm. I went to work, and after work i did my cardio about 3 am.. However, since the time of my exercise was on Friday instead of Thursday, I "went over" my allotment by 200 cal because the workout was after midnight. How do other shift workers handle this?
Mike

Replies

• giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Some people count when they are awake as a day. So, even though you exercised after midnight and it technically fell on a Friday, most people would still count that towards their Thursday. If that makes sense. Personally, that is a bit complicated for me to keep track of and just do midnight to midnight. I think some of it is personal preference and whatever works for you.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work the grave shift. I just track midnight to midnight.
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    How do people handle shift work using the myfitnesspal and fitbit? I just started out, and so far I am calling my waking hours a "day". For example, today my "day" started at 3pm. I went to work, and after work i did my cardio about 3 am.. However, since the time of my exercise was on Friday instead of Thursday, I "went over" my allotment by 200 cal because the workout was after midnight. How do other shift workers handle this?
    Mike

I track my waking hours usually from 3pm to 9am.
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I work different shifts each day, so I'm a midnight to midnight person. Over the course of several weeks, any anomolies will hopefully iron out. On my first night shift of the week I usually eat about 4000 cals, but the average for the week is around about my target.
  • jades492
    jades492 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also track my waking hours, up at 5pm to 10am . I count all of that as one day because that is a day to me, the clock means nothing to me, what matters is that while I was having MY day I tracked everything from start to finish. I track it under the day of the week it is when I get up.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I do midnight to midnight. I work 12 hour nights 3-4 days a week and then switch to daylight on my days off.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I work overnights and found the easiest way for me to do it was midnight to midnight, with 6 4hr timeframes in my diary.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    Its a little confusing however there are days I forgot to add something likethe excersise. I go to my excersise, use the calender and go back a day, adding the excersise there. It will adjust what you did that day.
  • CoCoBean14
    CoCoBean14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I also do midnight to midnight. It's just easier for me to keep track of. I get easily confused as to what day it is, let alone what day things are supposed to go in. Also with the fact that the diary automatically changes to the day it is. And I don't let "breakfast" "lunch" "dinner" labels get in my way. I'm sure there are reasons why I should, but the food just goes in wherever.

I hope you find a way that works for you, I'm hoping to be off shift work soon!!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I would add things to the diary of the day you are thinking of! Eg if your day goes from 3pm tp 9am then log it all on the day the 3pm happened! You can do this by going backwards od forwards on your diary! If that makes any sence!!
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It is tough for night workers. Not only does poor sleep contribute to difficult weight loss, it totally screws with your metabolism, some times it feels like you are eating all the time! I generally use the midnight to midnight scheme, my shift is 6pm to 8 am. I eat when I get home and call it lunch! When I get up I eat something light and save my bigger meal for later on, about 11 pm. I end up eating a small meal every six hours with a couple of light snacks ie yogurt or veggies. It sucks but I have managed to lose about 13 pounds so far.