i Quite Smoking

Options
I just recently quite smoking but the puonds are starting to pack on, I got down to 192 in the summer which is great weight for me, but now after a month of no smoking I am at 203. What should I do?

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Exercise and portion control!!
    Congratulations on quitting smoking.
    That is no small victory!
    Welcome to MFP!! :flowerforyou:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I just recently quite smoking but the puonds are starting to pack on, I got down to 192 in the summer which is great weight for me, but now after a month of no smoking I am at 203. What should I do?

Don't even consider going back to smoking. I smoked for 17 years (and yes I am only 30) and quit and its freakin awesome. Give yourself something to do with your cravings than eat. I chewed on straws until it was passed. Remember to account for everything you do end up eating and stay focused on your goals. This will pass and you will be way better off for it.

Good luck :drinker:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!! You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • gizmohamster
    Options
    Quitting smoking is much healthier than any amount of pounds you put on! Keep with it. One thing that really helps is to have something in your mouth like gum. You will have cravings for something and food is one of those that people who quit go for. Good luck and best wishes!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Yes! I quit smoking 23 months ago after smoking since I was 15 and it's really fantastic to be a non-smoker! The smell of my hair alone is worth it. :)

If you have an oral fixation, or if you used a cigarette as your cue to stop eating, try mints or regular gum after you eat a healthy portion of food. That helped me. I was already fat when I quit smoking, but I didn't gain any more weight because of it at least. :laugh: And try exercise as a stress reliever. Since I started exercising on a regular basis I hardly ever even think about cigs anymore (I used to think about them on an almost daily basis, even after it had been over a year since I quit).
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have been battling this myself since I quit in April. Dinner doesn't seem finished without that cigarette. I just keep telling myself that quitting smoking does not pack on the lbs. Replacing smoking with candy, gum, or other food packs on the lbs. My friend stopped smoking a year before I did and started eating Twizzlers as a replacement. Of course, she gained a lot of weight. And now she is trying to cut down on her “Twizzler habit”. I didn't want to do that and gain weight, so I didn't replaced the cigs with anything. The battle comes with not feeling satisfied after dinner. Without that feeling that dinner is over, I still want to eat. I try to resist the urge, but I've had a lot of stress lately (and no cigs to relieve it) and I've been weak. I haven't gained, but I haven't lost either.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    i too quit smoking tomorrow will be 2 weeks YAY ME !!!.... what i do is eat healthy ..... and excercise ..... its helped me .... and if i need to have something in my mouth i chew on a pen or chew gum
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    i too quit smoking tomorrow will be 2 weeks YAY ME !!!.... what i do is eat healthy ..... and excercise ..... its helped me .... and if i need to have something in my mouth i chew on a pen or chew gum
    extra suglarless gum (5 calories for each stick )
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I know someone that had a routine to reach in his pocket and grab a ciggarette at work, when he was on break or waiting on his truck to load....so what he did was put carrots in his pocket and everytime he reached in got a carrot and munched on that....its better than going for gum or candy....and your quitting an addiction, not just cigarettes.....it's something in the brain that your fighting so don't just move on to the next bad thing. keep it healthy! And 50% of smoking is habitual and 50% is nicotine....so find something healthy to make a habit....i.e. logging your food diary, exercising....so on and so forth. Hope this helped!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Been there - quit smoking in April. It hasn't been easy but it is well worth it. I try to recognize a craving for what it is just a craving that will pass. Gum has also helped. As well as drinking water or herbal tea at night while watching tv.