Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

hip pain linked with weight loss?

ok so in the last 11months i have lost about 65lbs and lately i have noticed after any exercise even just walking my hips ache and click and after days i have done lots of exercise like a zumba class or lots of walking my hips really hurt.

when i was pregnant i had really bad SPD which ment i could barely walk and had to wear a belt to help hold y pelvic bones together and the pain im getting now is starting to feel the same!

has this happened to anyone else? how did you stop it?

thanks

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    ok so in the last 11months i have lost about 65lbs and lately i have noticed after any exercise even just walking my hips ache and click and after days i have done lots of exercise like a zumba class or lots of walking my hips really hurt.

when i was pregnant i had really bad SPD which ment i could barely walk and had to wear a belt to help hold y pelvic bones together and the pain im getting now is starting to feel the same!

has this happened to anyone else? how did you stop it?

thanks

I've not had this, but after the trouble I've had with my knee, Id recommend seeing a Dr or Physio, it might just be a case of you need the right exercises to strengthen the muscles around your hips :-)
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Losing 6 lb/month when you don't have a lot to lose... it won't have been just fat you were losing.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    I've developed bursitis(sp?) of the hip in the last year due to lots of walking and climbing stairs. If you NEVER excersized regularly before starting your weightloss program ...maybe that's the problem? I take ibuprophen when it gets really bad but I mostly just deal with the discomfort. There's no way I'm going to stop excersizing. It took me so long make excersize a habit in my life...I feel the other health benifits far out weight the mild discomfort from my hip. But really...it feels better when I keep moving anyway. It's when I let it stiffen up that it bothers me the most.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    I tried going into the Marine Corps. I ended up getting tendinitis in my hips and stress fractures because my body couldn't tolerate the physical stress that was being put through it. It started with the tendinitis, then it developed over time into stress fractures. If you don't know what a stress fracture is, it's basically an indention in your bone. The tendinitis is common in runners, especially those who don't stretch well before and after workouts.

Definitely go get checked out. It might just be muscle issues, but it could be something more severe and since you've had hip issues in the past, that makes you even more prone to reoccurring hip issues in the future.
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    LauriesTrying2BeFit Posts: 414 Member
    Losing 6 lb/month when you don't have a lot to lose... it won't have been just fat you were losing.

i have done this properly and i have lost mainly fat i did have alot to lose and i havent been losing 6lb a month i lost almost 2stone straight away from having a baby and iv lost the rest gradually

thanks everyone
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Definitey something to ask your doctor about. The clicking and popping is usually caused by inflammed tendons sliding out of their "grooves" because they are swollen (at least that's how the rhuematologist explained it to me). Might just be from overuse but since you've had problems before you should have the doctor check it out. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • jennifer30
    jennifer30 Posts: 3 Member
    I've lost like 70 lbs and my right hip kills me I sleep on my side
    When I wake up it hurts so bad
    Someone told me it had to do Wth my weight loss and not having anymore fat there
    Any suggestions on things I can do to relieve this pain.
    I never had this happen before ;(
  • amylillian
    amylillian Posts: 27 Member
    Even if you think you're eating enough and working out, your body can react in the weirdest ways..

One of my friends damaged tore a tendon/ligament/something in her hip because she was dancing (ballet.. hard on the hips) a lot and not eating enough.. but she had arthroscopic surgery and is fine. I'm not saying you're not eating enough or anything like that, though.

Just with hip/leg issues I'd say go to a doctor, and until you feel a little better you should start swimming for exercise. It isn't as hard on the joints as running/biking/etc. It should also help strengthen those muscles around the hip. And if it starts hurting even with swimming, exercise less days a week and see a doctor as soon as you can!

I hope you feel better soon!
  • jennifer30
    jennifer30 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you
    The thing is i just turned 40 and I've been doing a bootcamp at the gym and lots of running
    I guess my body is telling me I'm not 20 anymore ;(
    I will try a water class and cut back on the more strenuous exercises;)
  • lorimhobson
    lorimhobson Posts: 2 Member
    I joined this site because I found this thread when I searched online for this exact topic. I, too, have a lot of hip pain after losing lbs. If anyone learns about this, I am interested. So weird. I do walk a lot. I eat healthy. My hips hurt!
  • lorimhobson
    lorimhobson Posts: 2 Member
    Note: it is not in the joint for me. More like achy bones
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,660 Member
    I had some new musculoskeletal problems alongside weight loss. My osteopath said this isn't rare, because usually fat isn't symmetric, so weight distribution and posture can change with loss, creating novel stresses on the body.

Not saying that this explains your symptoms, just laying it out there as one among many possibilities.

In my case, it worked itself out, with the help of that D.O., time, and a really good massage therapist.

Hope you find a solution!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,276 Member
    I joined this site because I found this thread when I searched online for this exact topic. I, too, have a lot of hip pain after losing lbs. If anyone learns about this, I am interested. So weird. I do walk a lot. I eat healthy. My hips hurt!

Lori, I do a couple of things that help with achy hips.

Try sitting down cross legged. Do 30 hip circles to the right, then 30 to the left. Recross your legs and do it in the other direction.

Sometimes this simple stretch means the difference between staggering down the stairs in the mornings versus walking down them normally. I do hip circles as part of a thirty minute stretch most mornings. I truly believe stretching regularly has kept me off pain pills and arthritis meds the past ten years.

If you’re not familiar with Pilates , google “Pilates side series”.

Side series is a series of movements done while laying on your side. You can do them with no equipment whatsoever, although a thick rug or yoga type mat will certainly make it more comfortable.

They burn like fire, and I will probably hear you cursing my name all the way from *there*, but side series moves work all the rotations of your hip joint. They are very effective for hip pain when done regularly and sometimes recommended by physical therapists for this purpose.

I’d rather save the meds for when I’m really old, than get accustomed to them now and risk having them lose efficacy later on!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,660 Member
    Good suggestion, @springlering62 !

This is another similar thing, one that my osteopath suggested for me to do, even before getting out of bed in the morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4VpJ0eKFiM