Help cinema snack ideas required!

I haven't been to the cinema in months but the last time I went I succumbed to the popcorn & chocolates and huge drinks readily available, now I'm off tonight & I don't know what I can take as a good low fat alternative as I can't just sit there with nothing. Any ideas please? x

Replies

• Grapes :)

They satisfy the hand-to-mouth craving, are sweet and you can't eat too many or they make you feel sick lol
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Pop some popcorn at home, put it in a container. Put container in bag. Take bag with you to cinema. Voila.

You can buy corn kernels at Waitrose, I think and probably some other places. I just pop it in a non-stick pan, add a little salt if you want and there you go. You could even pop it with a little butter in the pan so you get the butter flavor most people long for with popcorn.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    I smuggle in my own air-popped "kettle corn" (I add some olive oil, salt, and sugar).
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Small popcorn (no butter) and a bottle of water?
  • fairycake25
    fairycake25 Posts: 37
    i take a bag full of cheerios in with me and use it as popcorn its scrummy and it wont kill ur diet, or if your craving sweeties go buy a single bag of whatever befor you go in x
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Homemade air popcorn, frozen grapes, a small bag of cereal like cheerio’s, dried fruit?

:flowerforyou:
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    take your own treats from home: reduced fat popcorn and skinny cow chocolate if you wish.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    I usually bring goldfish crackers!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Movie Theatres are required to recognize people with dietary problems. Call the facility and ask for the manager. Explain that you 'cannot have any of the concession foods that are served'... he/she doesnt need to know the full medical background or reasons why.... Ask for permission ahead of time to bring in your own healthy snacks....

I have insulin resistance (treatment is just like a diabetic) taking a high dose of metformin and my sugar can crash just as bad as a diabetic's. The last time I talked with a manager at the theatre, they were more than accomodating. I simply had to let him know when I wanted to come in, let him know what I wanted to bring and he would let the ticket-minder know that I had permission to bring in my own snacks... I was very appreciative of his understanding.
  • Some Velvet Crunch snacks (83 cals per bag!!) and homemade salsa in a small pot using tomatos, onions, garlic, herbs and a little olive oil!! Something sweet - some low cal popcorn or jelly pots.........
  • lichensandseeds
    lichensandseeds Posts: 41 Member
    Totally agree with the poster who mentioned cheerios! They rock as a movie snack.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    When I go, I just get the buttered movie popcorn. Gotta die of something, right? :happy:

It probably puts me over on calories for the day, but doing that occasionally isn't going to make much of a difference in the long run.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    i obviously have no willpower. i eat popcorn and sahara nuts at the cinema, but usually use it as a treat day!
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    M&S do some tiny bags of low cal white chocolate popcorn. They are only like 100 cals each so you could have a couple and no OD.
  • marj972
    marj972 Posts: 30 Member
    I go to the cinema every week so I had to change from popcorn to something else, I take some mini breadsticks and houmous with me, and it does the trick.
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 137 Member
    I pop up a bag of low fat popcorn at home, put it in a zip Lock baggie (much quieter than the bag it pops in) and I smuggle it in a big purse. And a bottle or two of water stuffed in my pockets or purse. I like the idea posted here about grapes and cheerios too. Maybe some string cheese?
  • Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Thank you for all your ideas, i think i'm going to pop the corn at home and take it along with some water and grapes & hopefully that should do the trick! I'm actually looking forward to going now instead of dreading it (as I have no will power) i'm taking 3 kids with me so that means that there's going to be chocolate, sweets & butter popcorn in abundance - but now i've got no excuse not to be good and snack properly (it will probably taste better anyway!)
    Thanks guys I appreciate it :happy: