Making pizza at home what is the best crust?

Options
Hello all,

I make pizza at home because I don't like store bought pizza's they are hard and too crusty. However crust like Pizza Hut and Dominos are good, but what is it that makes them so good that cann't be made at home. I know it's their secret recipe, but geeze there's gotta be something that is close to it. I have tried several, but they all come out too tough or hard too thick or something. Help me!

Thanks in advance.
Laverne

Replies

• ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    Warburtons square, that would be the best and lowest base, or I made muffin pizza's
  • sammyjowedeking
    Options
    Hubby and I buy pilsbury rolled pizza dough and flatten it out to our liking or we sometimes use a tortilla shell, pita pocket cut in half, or a flat out! Yummy :)
  • JCam8383
    JCam8383 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I buy the personal size boboli's. It's 5 grams of fat and the carbs are 60 which is a lot but I think it's better than a lot of the other crust out there. I just add veggies and some fat free motts cheese.
  • ribena1958
    Options
    oh yes, forgot about that, WW pitta bread or the WW naan is good
  • Shaz_74
    Shaz_74 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've used this recipe for years now and it always turns out great:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jays-signature-pizza-crust/

The brown sugar really makes a difference and I often put 1 tsp.
    Make sure you're kneading the dough enough.

Also, I like to lightly oil the pizza pan and dust it with cornmeal - guaranteed crispy crust.

Good Luck!:smile:
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Also, I like to lightly oil the pizza pan and dust it with cornmeal - guaranteed crispy crust.

That's the same recipe I've been using for years also. It really makes a good crust.
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    i make my own with king arthur's organic whole wheat white flour, water, baking soda and aluminum free baking powder
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    The last time I made pizza, I used the new Freschetta Wheat Crusts. It turned out great. My husband didn't like it as much as I did, but he still ate them. He's very anti wheat. He prefers white bread still, white crusts, lots of sugar......and dear Lord don't try to feed him whole wheat noodles. This whole eating better thing has been a difficult process for him, needless to say.
  • fitrene
    fitrene Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use a similar recipe at the one above, but I feel my "secret" ingredient is bread flour, not all purpose. It makes a lighter, crust, not dry. I also add garlic powder and italian seasonings to my crust, brush with olive oil. I also use a pizza stone that is covered in olive oil and corn meal and I put the stone ONLY in a 500 degree oven for about 5 minutes before you put the olive oil and corn meal and crust on. This give it that brick oven pizza feel and taste. Oh and fresh grated parmesano reggiono cheese! Sort of like Boboli Bread.

I use a bread machine for my dough and I LOVE IT! I only use the bread machine for dough.

Good luck!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options

Thanx for sharing!
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    hi

I make pizza using a crusty bread mix or a ciabatta bread mix...we all like really thin crust and you can roll it as thin as you like, bake a little first in a HOT oven to crisp up.

make a tom sauce using passatta (sieved tomatoes) seasoning, chopped garlic, basil and oregano, 1/2 teaspoon sugar really brings out tomato flavour

add toppings then 3oz (75g) grated mozarella

I have veg and fish toppings and work out at 550 ish cals for full 10inch pizza. meaty toppings like pepperoni add more cals..I suppose this would bellike the italian base at pizza hut (in UK)

martyxx
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/

Read about this cauliflower crust on another thread. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to since I'm gluten free.
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    Ooh, will post a kick-ar$e dough recipe tomorrow (when my poorly cat is off my knee) - it's delicious and thin-crust. Takes a bit of time and tender loving care, but that's a good thing! Recipe to follow in merely hours.
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    If it holds the toppings then it is a good crust.........:happy:
  • ribena1958
    Options
    great recipe link there Shaz, thank you :wink:
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like to use a tortilla as a crust, but I like the thin crust pizzas
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    flour, olive oil, water, salt, yeast- i do mine in a bread machine now
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • hcdawg
    hcdawg Posts: 69
    Options
    I use "Ole" Tomato Basil tortilla wraps. Very good at least to me only 68 calories each!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I use Arnold muti grain thins....you know the round flat breads