How many calories does a Shake Weigh burn?

Options
HAHAHA...I know...so lame! But I bought a Shake Weight to use while watching TV, so my hands are occupied doing something (instead of reaching for a cookie)...does anyone know how many calories it burns? Hahaha!

Thanks!

Replies

• mmelaragno
    Options
    I don't know the answer to this, but am curious about the shake weight. Have you noticed a difference? I am having a terrible time toning my arms and am interested in trying it, but haven't known anyone that's used it.
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to this, but am curious about the shake weight. Have you noticed a difference? I am having a terrible time toning my arms and am interested in trying it, but haven't known anyone that's used it.
    What part of your arms are you trying to tone?
    To tone the triceps (a.k.a. bye-byes, that part that jiggles when you wave your arm), you can just take a dumb bell (I recommend 8 lbs. maybe 10 depending on your strength level) and put the tops of your arms straight up (elbows to the sky), lower the dumb bell behind your head and just lift it up and let it down. You can also do kick-backs too (if standing and bending at hips so stomach is parallel to floor this can also help with your core for balance).

Biceps: just do curls (let arms hang straight down, and just pull weights up to chest and then release and repeat)

And dumb bells are about half the cost of a shake weight, I'm sure (I see the shake weights run $10-$20). Dumb bells run usually $1-$2 per pound.
  • mmelaragno
    Options
    That's exactly where I'm trying to fix the problem, thanks! I will try that tonight!
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    That's exactly where I'm trying to fix the problem, thanks! I will try that tonight!
    No problem.
  • tigerhisser85
    tigerhisser85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read that it burns about 16- 18 calories a minute but I assume that varies...I use one too!
  • All3yC4t
    All3yC4t Posts: 1
    Options
    I LOVE the Shake Weight. I'm trying to figure out how many calories it burns (which is how I found your post). I used it regularly before I got married and was so much happier with my arms than before I started. It makes it faster and easier to tone. I stopped using it for a while after the wedding and am picking it up again. Just 6 minutes a day and I started to see a difference in just 2 weeks. I took weekends off, so it was Mon-Fri did the workout video and I really do love it. SO much better than dumbells.

The short movements work better for women I think becomes it helps you tone and sculpt rather than building bulk.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    You are using very small muscles. You aren't going to burn that many calories.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The short movements work better for women I think becomes it helps you tone and sculpt rather than building bulk.

Wrong! There is no such thing as "Tone and sculpt" and Women can't bulk.. we aren't made for it. Lift heavy, see results... period.

To OP:
    I don't have an answer... I mean, I don't think it would burn that much.. since you are only moving an arm and not actually lifting anything.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA...I know...so lame! But I bought a Shake Weight to use while watching TV, so my hands are occupied doing something (instead of reaching for a cookie)...does anyone know how many calories it burns? Hahaha!

Thanks!

As many as it takes to throw into the garbage can. You'd be better of getting one of those $5 grip handles that you can squeeze while you watch TV. If you can buy it on an infomercial, it probably ain't worth a ****.
  • JNick77
    Options

Wrong! There is no such thing as "Tone and sculpt" and Women can't bulk.. we aren't made for it. Lift heavy, see results... period.

Not entirely true, ever see a female bodybuilder or powerlifter?
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I read that it burns about 16- 18 calories a minute but I assume that varies...I use one too!

Really? I know everyone's caloric burn depends upon their weight, height etc, but I only burn on average 8-9 calories per minute RUNNING!!!
  • Todzilla7
    Todzilla7 Posts: 24
    Options

Ever heard of steroids? Even WITH steroids, incredible dietary constrictions, and unbelievable dedication to training, it takes YEARS of conditioning to reach the levels you are referring to. Those are extremes, not the norm...
  • JNick77
    Options

Ever heard of steroids? Even WITH steroids, incredible dietary constrictions, and unbelievable dedication to training, it takes YEARS of conditioning to reach the levels you are referring to. Those are extremes, not the norm...

Nah bra' what are these steroids you speak of...? At my gym there is a competitive female bodybuilder and I know she does not take steroids because she's in a division that is steroid free and tests. She hasn't gone past this division because she doesn't want to take steroids. She's got at least 19" arms and shoulders that would make many men jealous.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options

Nah bra' what are these steroids you speak of...? At my gym there is a competitive female bodybuilder and I know she does not take steroids because she's in a division that is steroid free and tests. She hasn't gone past this division because she doesn't want to take steroids. She's got at least 19" arms and shoulders that would make many men jealous.

in order to bulk up like that you need MASSIVE amounts of protein and genetics. It's not natural for more women to achieve that bulky look.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Shake weight claims another victim.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    This could end up getting downright nasty.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

LOLOLOLOLOL
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Probably about 30-50 calories for a 5 min workout.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    if you haven't seen it, watch the Southpark episode about the shake weight. OMG hilarious!