How do you stay on track when you live with temptation?

Options

Replies

• itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I just figure out how many calories is in the treat and then figure out how many minutes it would be of the dreaded exercise. Once I know that I figure out if it's worth it.
    For me, typically it isn't worth it. I want to lose weight and keep it off. I've commited to myself and won't cheat myself from this opportunity to look the way I've always wanted to.

I'm a bit single minded.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If getting him to join me doesn't work, what do you do to stay on track when people around you are pulling you down? I know I don't have to eat it but it is easier to say "just say no" than to actually say "no". :) I feel like food is a drug! I know where the problem is but I am not completely sure how to get away from it.

He is not pulling you down. You are making the choices for you, unless he has a gun to your head saying eat the bon-bons! You have to take ownership in that the food you put in your body is you putting it there. You don't have to eat something because you see someone doing it. I am not saying this is easy, but it certainly isn't someone else's fault that you are eating too many calories.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Topic: How do you stay on track when you live with temptation?

If by "on track" you mean "not eating the food that's tempting you", I don't. I snack on my wife's tortilla chips or chocolates that are around the house quite often, and sometimes we buy some ice cream or whatever looks good. I just don't eat so much of it that the calories will screw up the weight loss too much. Often, I'm still under my target for the day even after it. I usually try to have those big snacks on workout days so there's more wiggle room in my calories anyway.
  • Perks9384
    Perks9384 Posts: 3
    Options
    I read your post and completely understand where you are coming from. I tell my husband it's like being an alcoholic and your spouse keeping alcohol in the house. People that don't have a desire or a need to lose weight just don't understand that it's an addition like anything else. I have asked my husband to do me a favor and buy snacks that I don't crave or like so the temptation isn't there. Also I asked him if he does buy something I like to bring it to work with him and eat it there. I am a junk food junkie with the best of them so it's tough. For example if he wants ice cream which is my downfall I ask that he not buy it at the store and keep it in the house but rather go get some from an ice cream shop when he wants it eat it and then it's not in the house all the time. My husband also can eat whatever he wants, not work out and still be skinny. I feel your pain girl!
  • jl622
    jl622 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I make my hubby hide the junk, and eat it in a different room.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    My husband works out of town 20 days a month so I'm lucky he's not here to do that but I have 3 teenage eating machines with me at all times.

In all honesty I just use willpower. I know what I want and how I want to look and just don't give in to their junk food!

I used to binge eat in the evenings out of boredom and lonliness. I now schedule exercise to fill in those gaps. I go for a 1 hr walk after dinner then I do an exercise dvd at around 9pm. I find this totally cuts the binging and temptation.

On the weekends when I first started I kept as busy as I could with shopping, visiting friends etc so the days flew by with no slow time to fall back into old habits.

It's taken 4 months but my relathionship with food has completely changed. I now use it as fuel for my body not comfort.

Keep at it, your husband will see you getting results and not want to feel left out resulting in him joining you on your journey!!!
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Your situation reminds me of an episode of intervention where a drug addicted woman tried getting clean while living with her drug addicted man, except switch junk food with drugs of course! Needless to say it didn't work out with them and she ended up moving on. I'm not suggesting that you move on but maybe the junk food needs to go away (for some time at least)? Maybe you can find some good substitutes such as wasabi peas, pita chips, fiber one brownies, carrots with hummus, etc? I personally feel blessed for having my wife who jumped on board with me in getting healthy b/c I wouldn't be able to do it without her support and isn't that what a spouse should do for their SO?
  • ShanaGore
    ShanaGore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My husband has been very supportive of my weight loss and has been exercising with me and encouraging me to keep going. But getting him on the "healthy eating" track was a bit more difficult. He liked his sweets, he likes his ribs, burgers, ect. And as long as he works out he can still eat them and lose. I found the trick was to find "healthy recipes" recipes that our whole family would like and I found that gradually changing them was easier. For example, my family loves spaghetti, making it with whole grain pasta and the sauce w/ground white turkey and having a small portion with a large tossed salad is the best. The first time I made it that way, they all turned up their noses, ate a small amount and then had a ton of junk food later. So the next time, I mixed half regular noodles and half whole wheat, and then half ground beef and half turkey . . . . they didn't even notice, then each time, I would add more and more of the whole grain, ground turkey and make the portions smaller and the salads larger, until now we are eating 100% whole grain pasta and using only ground turkey. I did the same thing with burgers, meatloaf. I even did pizza and now "pizza night" consists of whole grain pita pizzas made with reduced fat cheese, grilled chicken and lots of veggies as toppings. For sweets, I have baked apples w/cinnamon and nutmeg. Mixed fruit w/plain greek yogurt and frozen it slightly to make an awesome frozen treat. I make sugar free, fat free pudding and fill it with fruit, sometimes for a special treat, I will put it in a reduced fat graham cracker crust and call it a pie, they love that. The key is to find creative ways to make foods they like healthy. So they don't think you eating healthy means eating carrot sticks all day . . . because I don't have any idea how anyone could get their family to go for that. Take their favorite dishes and search the internet for healthier options.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I do the shopping and have recently told him I won't buy anymore junk. One thing I used to do is buy a sweet that I did't like so I won't be tempted. I try to show him how eating healthy isn't all bad, you can still eat tasty foods. My 3 year old is so bad he most often than not refuses to eat dinner. He just wants junk food. I need to change my whole house to a healthy home. I guess it really is beyond just my husband eating unhealthy but I want to have a healthy active family. :happy:

You are the one letting your child eat junk instead of dinner. Mine just turned 4. If he doesn't eat a reasonable amount of his dinner, his choice for snacks are fruit, veggie, cheese and crackers or yogurt. If he eats his dinner properly, then sometimes, he gets more options - brownies, ice cream etc.
  • kballard72
    kballard72 Posts: 5
    Options
    1. I have no goals beyond today, never have.... The goal for today MOVE and EAT... If I stick to that goal, the bigger unwritten goals of losing weight, getting to a certain size, etc... will take care of themselves... FOCUS on today....

MOVE = Excercise, it is not dreaded, I crave it...
    EAT = Don't eat what will screw with my moving

2. I eat chocolate. I keep a bowl of hershey kisses dark. I eat 3 or 4 and walk away.

3. Supreme Protein Bars = Like eating a million dollar bar... get a chocolate fix packed with protein and PROTEIN = LEAN

4. A natural bull dog mentality = I've locked on to the idea I will not be fat again.... 19 months since hitting getting to 175...
  • sexykita
    sexykita Posts: 1
    Options
    it is very hard i need some help to ,it is so hard when your husband can eat anything an not gain any weight i look at something angain 10 lbs please help maybe you can tell me something good an can help me.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think a combination of the suggestions might work best. Keep some treats that you enjoy, but find a serving portion that fits in your daily calorie goals. Budget for it. If you like Little Debbie's, for example, budget for ONE swiss cake roll and wrap the other one up for tomorrow.

Your other alternative is exercise. If you exercise, you can have a treat. Walk around your block a couple times for 30 minutes after supper and you have earned dessert or a tv snack for later.

The idea behind weight loss is (for the most part) calories in < calories out. The quality of those calories will affect how you feel. If you eat junk and deprive your body of nutrients, you won't feel well. But you CAN lose weight eating junk. Ideally, though, you want to work toward cutting down on the junk as much as possible.

If the time comes you can get hubby on board, then you can consider cutting it out completely. But in the meantime, if he isn't receptive, just work on controlling what you can. Cut the junk down, but not out completely. If you feel deprived you are more likely to give up on your diet altogether. Just cut it down and budget for it.

Over time, I think you may find that a big bowl of whole-grain cereal sounds more filling and more appetizing than a Little Debbie. That's what happened to me anyway. I'd look at the label of something I love (Butterscotch Krimpets!!!!) and say to myself "300 calories for THAT LITTLE THING? Nevermind. I don't want it that bad."
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    Keeping junk food out of the house would be the best for you and your husband. This way, if he wants a junk-food snack, he would have to get it. But, instead of causing an issue between the two of you perhaps you could switch out some of his favorite foods for healthier snacks.... instead of chocolate cake- fruit and light whipped cream... instead of a full size candy bar- a granola bar... instead of potato chips... pita chips

Another idea would be to track the calories he is eating and enter them into your page--- what really woke me up was the caloric summary at the bottom which tell you "if every day was like today you would weigh xxx lbs in 5 weeks" it might be a wake up call for him and then you can get him hooked on the MFP craze too. :)

Good luck!!
  • kp31275
    kp31275 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this a lot too. Something that I have just recently started telling myself when it comes to sweets is, "Fat lasts longer than flavor!" I will just sip my water and repeat it over and over. lol
  • Pet03
    Pet03 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I have a husband who is trying to gain weight however he does eat alot of healthy foods. If he brings the food in then maybe at that time you could take a little time for yourself and go for a walk or some other form of exercise as a reminder to yourself what your goal is. I would also ask him not to bring it in the house as the smell will still be there when you get back. But sooner or later he will get the hint.
  • AMH1031
    AMH1031 Posts: 11
    Options
    I struggle with this a lot too. Something that I have just recently started telling myself when it comes to sweets is, "Fat lasts longer than flavor!" I will just sip my water and repeat it over and over. lol

Love It!!!!
  • AMH1031
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know I just need to be strong and keep trying to be as healthy as I can. Maybe he will join me! By the way my son loves salads... I just had to say that because I don't want to come off like he is give junk food for dinner. We just all have that darn sweet tooth :( I really appreciate all the useful suggestions! My wish was for my husband to join me in this goal so it would be a smoother ride.
  • AMH1031
    Options
    [/quote]
    Another idea would be to track the calories he is eating and enter them into your page--- what really woke me up was the caloric summary at the bottom which tell you "if every day was like today you would weigh xxx lbs in 5 weeks" it might be a wake up call for him and then you can get him hooked on the MFP craze too. :)

Good luck!!
    [/quote]

Great idea!
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too! My boyfriend is a rail! His vegetables consist of potatoes and corn, he doesn't eat fruit (or really anything good for you), he loves chips and usually drinks pop. He was just blessed with a good metabolism. We always go grocery shopping together so I get my stuff and he gets his. With this new life style change (I'm a month in) we usually cook for ourselves. Or if he cooks dinner I make sure I save the calories for it. If we go out to dinner or he wants fast food, I order something healthy like a salad. It seems to be working thus far. He is very supportive of what I'm doing. It maybe hard but it really is just WILL POWER. Weekends tend to be a lot harder since we are together all day then. Life is full of temptations, we just have to learn how to deal with it. And if I have a bad day, I just try to take it out on the elliptical the next day :)
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    leave the room he is eating in. maybe lost time with is wife will deter him to eat less, at different times, etc.