Exercise. Where do I start? I can't stick to anything!

Options
When I was 15, I used to play basketball, netball, vollyball and I used my elliptical machine almost everyday.

3 years later, the word exercise makes me groan.

I seriously need a routine I can stick to, and get results from. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I need to kick my diet into gear and start cutting down on the sugar, but I also need to start exercising! I went through a stage not so long ago of getting up early and going for a run (first part of the C25K programme) but even this just lasted 2 weeks and I gave up. Help???

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Quit giving up.

That's really all there is to it. If you didn't like running, try biking/swimming/skating/hiking/rowing or whatever. Then don't quit. After a while, it will become a habit. But it never stops taking commitment.
  • spreadthesparkle
    spreadthesparkle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba!! I hate to exercise but I know I have to do it to boost my weight loss and get healthy! I find this ALOT of fun and it doesnt feel like boring old exercise just alot of dancing!!! I burn over 500 calories in one hour of FUN!! Find what you love or you will quit! Constantly move doing something is better than nothing! Park far away from a store, take the steps instead of the elevator etc. This really helps!!
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If the word "exercise" makes you groan, maybe stop exercising? By that I mean if you frame it in terms of "go outside," "play," or "I had a long day sitting at work, I can't wait to stretch my legs," it might feel more appealing. My best friend teases me for being like a puppy because even on days when I can't be persuaded to haul my butt to the gym, I perk up if someone suggests going to the park.

Some of my favorites:

Bike ride
    Ice skating
    The park (walk, jog, frisbee game)
    Swing dancing
    Yoga
    Swimming (I love races where you "run" from one end of the pool to the other and back--looks so silly but it's fun)

I can do any of those for at least an hour and feel like it's a fun outing, not a exercise chore.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I love my XBox. Especially Rallyball and River Raft. I throw in weights and dance and running in place and kickboxing between rounds (I also dance while I play River Raft, for extra added silliness and calorie burn). It's all out of sight and indoors so I don't have a heat stroke in front of the neighbors trying to run around in 80 degree weather.

In Winter, I was jogging, sometimes late at night, I miss it. I have a gym membership for their machines that work legs, plus the ab workout machines, and the treadmill since it's so blasted hot out, but my go-to workout is still XBox. It's fun, my HRM says my heart rate is consistently over 160, and it feels more like a game than a workout.

Oh yeah, XBox is responsible for the pic in my sig, but if looking at yourself being all goofy is too much, you can turn that feature off! :laugh:
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with other posters. Do what you love - whether it is weightlifting or walking in the park. If you have a lot of changes to make (i.e., change diet, add exercise, quit smoking, etc.). Try to do one thing at a time. I started with working on my diet. Just learning to eat breakfast took at least 2 weeks! After about 1 month, I started to add exercise - a little each day with a longer stint 3x/week - eventually I got into a good pattern and was able to increase it. Now - 50 lbs (2 years) later, I feel the need to exercise everyday. Some days I do something organized (zumba or strength class, DVDs) and other days I free form it - walk, mow the lawn, vacuum the entire house, swim!

New habits take time to develop. I've heard it take at least six weeks for a new habit to become a solid part of your life!

Good luck!
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You sound like me a bit! I have all of the energy in the world for team sports! But I didn't want to do anything else. I am 43 years old and I still play on two volleyball leagues and I pick up games whenever I can. But, for me, that wasn't enough. You have to decide that you want to move.

Maybe you can see if you can join a team sport, something in the community. A great way to meet people and get moving.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Find someone to do it with you.:drinker: I suggest someone with a mean streak that will come over and kick you if you stop doing something after two weeks.
  • sailorsiren13
    sailorsiren13 Posts: 460
    Options
    Sticking to one thing is boring i like to do something different all the time: Running is what i do the most it's free and i don't have to use gas but i also like Zumba, weights, Eliptical, Spin, Swimming, I have about 15 different Dvd's cardio, Yoga, Pilates. As long as you do something everyday that is all that matters. Good luck to you and you can friend me if you want :laugh:
  • hopeledbetter17
    Options
    Im in the same boat! My new philosophy is something is better than nothing! I got on the treadmill this morning and just walked at a comfortable pace for 20min. I plan to keep doing that until I start feeling good enough to do more.
  • Denise6914
    Denise6914 Posts: 176
    Options
    I personally won't stick with it unless I do the things I enjoy. I love Zumba, walking at the park, or playing Wii Fit or Just Dance on the Wii. Also like swimming, jump roping with the kids, etc.
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    There are 2 things that help me stick to working out! First switch things up, don't do the same thing EVERY SINGLE day. Also find a realistic time in your schedule that works, and that you can STICK to. I did the whole early morning thing, and I am not a morning person so set myself up for failure. I now do it as soon as I get home, and yes unfortunately have to use the tv as a babysitter for 45 mins or so, but I get my workout in. I am in love with all things Jillian Michaels! Fun, variety, and results!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Can you start by walking briskly 30 minutes every day? Try to do it for a month to show that you can be consistent. Work from there.
  • Cheveliar
    Cheveliar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea from a newbie. I am a data analyst and sit at a computer all day,. No way I'm getting 10000 steps while at work and I hardly feel like making up what I miss when I get home. So I lowered my goal and changed some of the things I do at work. I lowered my steps to 5000 which is still hard to get to but obtainable. I park my car at the furthest point from my building and walk to and from the car on breaks and at lunch. I walk to meet with people in the office vs calling or interoffice IM. These little things along with changing my diet properly have me down 8 pounds in ten days. Plus these are changes that I can continue and are not obtrusive to my regular routine. Thinking about maybe adding simple situps and pushups to get some strength conditioning as well.
  • musicianbob
    musicianbob Posts: 12
    Options
    Simply walking more will be a start. My Dad walks everyday and recently survived pnemonia almost certainly to his wicked health at his age ...just from walking every day for an hour. Doctors thought it was incredible how healthy he was (despite getting that pnemonia).

Just get started on something though. Include something you enjoy, like listening to music. That's kinda how I had to start.
    good luck!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    1. What do you really like to do?
    2. Does that exercise make you happy?
    3. Will you look forward to said exercise?
    4. Do that activity and enjoy.

It sounds like there were things you used to enjoy doing. Do you still enjoy them? If so, find a group where you can do them again. Otherwise, find something else you enjoy doing. You don't have to do the latest workout video trend or stand on a treadmill for hours a day for it to count as exercise.
  • LoneyBfit
    LoneyBfit Posts: 10
    Options
    I have the same problem I get bored so quickly but a friend fitness pal told me about the P90 its a 90day workout on Youtube for free and I like it. i like it because I feel like they are my personal trainers give it a try.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself " how bad do I really want this"....i gave up after trying for a bit....for years, on and off...this time i finally seem to be sticking to this because of accountability friends...I have friends who will actually call me to ask if i stayed within my calories today...or exercised...also if you have MFP buddies who just care about themselves and don't encourage you then you need to find new ones.

Try exercising with a friend...or if you have a Wii...thats fun ( wish i had one of my own! )...Dancing....Blasting music through the house and working out..lol poor neighbors!

Either way....Tell yourself each day That you're going to do your very best...for that one day...then do it again the next day and after that...Just think about one day at a time....YOU CAN DO THIS!!:flowerforyou:
  • tlynnclemmons
    tlynnclemmons Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Find someone to do it with you.:drinker: I suggest someone with a mean streak that will come over and kick you if you stop doing something after two weeks.

This is what I need - are you available?

I too, have a tendency to quit after a few weeks - it's like I just lose my momentum. due to a recent health problem, the only thing the doctor has released me to do is walk - and in short spurts so it's not like i can go get on the treadmill and go for an hour at full speed. it's tough but i agree with the other poster that if you have a multiple list of things to change, start with one at a time - I think this is what i need to do since the thought of changing my eating habits, starting to exercise again, stopping the diet sprite binges, and cutting out sugar all seems a bit overwhelming if i'm trying to do them all at once.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You need to quit giving up,

Over the last 3 years I have "Tried" several times to loose weight. I would loose 10 lbs then gain it all back. I had to sit down one day and decide what I was going to do to break the cycle. These things have kept me in line.

Joined MFP:
    I log in almost daily. I became active in the forums. Post regularly there and on my friends activities. I participate in different challanges on here. Right now and for the last 2 months I have done the "Runners challange" You post every time you run and she adds it to a spreadsheet that everyone can look at. It's motivating for sure. After a run, I can't wait to get home and update my excercise ticker as well as the Group forum.

I had a 3 month competition with my mum and sisters:
    I think doing it with someone who will hold you accountable helps immensely. Our prize was a $150 jackpot for a new pair of jeans. I won and bought them in the size I intend to be this summer.

I journal 2-3 days a week:
    This helps me to stay on track. Even on a day where Iv'e been bad I journal. I am able to read back and see how far I have come and why I shouldn't give up.

I read material on running:
    I read magazines, books and articles on running. It gets me excited and keeps me motivated to run.

I found alternative workouts:
    Lets face it. Sometimes I don't feel like running on a particular day. Maybe the weather is bad or im slightly injured. I bought 3 Tae Bo DVD's, borrowed some Tai Chi DVD's and so now I can do my own Tai Chi and yoga or I can workout with Billy. Sometimes we have to switch it up to keep it interesting.

These are the things that have kept me going for 4 months. I will admit that I took a 4 week break after I won the contest, but I am at it again. 25lbs more by summer! You can do it. It truly is mind over matter. Eating right and exercising becomes a habit after about 4 weeks and thus, easier to do, I think anyways.

exercise.png
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need a good dose of accountability. Here's a couple ideas:

1) Summer is around the corner, try an adult league sport. I personally love soccer and though I haven't been able to play recently, indoor soccer is a killer workout, and is played all year where I live. Outdoor soccer is a great add-on for the summer. Having a team of people expecting you to be there helps a lot.

2) Hire a trainer and pre-pay for sessions, or pre-pay for exercise classes. Losing money is a good motivator. I have a friend (with considerable disposable income) that pre-paid for a whole YEAR of training sessions, 3 or 4 times a week, and went from (probably morbidly) obese exercise hating person to a fitness enthusiast in that year. Obviously that's extreme but the point is, put some money on the line. (and I know that gym memberships are the exact opposite of the point I'm trying to make- I don't know why specifically with gym memberships people are willing to throw away perfectly good money)

3)Find a gym/running/c25k buddy. Someone with whom you have prearranged exercise dates. This person ideally would not be one of your best friends, as we tend to get away with a lot of excuses with our closest friends.