plantar fastidious

Options

Replies

• Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I never got the official diagnosis cause i hate doctors, but ALL my symptoms matched down to the I and I still suffer from it. But while I get limpy and whatnto, I can still jog on the treadmill and take my jazzercise classes. Who knows if its what I have but it wasnt dibilitating enough to stop me from working out.
  • Padmo
    Padmo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have it with a heel spur, it is truly awful. I stretch my feet as much as I can before hitting the floor. Believe it or not, exercising has actually helped it too.

Heel insoles in your shoes might help as well (didn't completely cure mine).

Best of luck.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from it in both my feet and it is crippling at times. I did physical therapy, cortizone shots, shoe inserts....you name it I tried it. I was even told to not wear high heels (not going to happen).

I don't know what happened but a few months ago. The pain stopped. I didn't change anything it just stopped.

I wish you luck with it. I know it is really painful and frustrating.
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You can still work out but when your foot pain returns just take it easy. Workout your upper body and legs during this period. Just be very careful if you decide to walk. I can get pretty stubborn and will do 60 mins on the treadmill and then roll a frozen 20 oz pop bottle of water under my foot and take an aspirin before bed.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I got plantar fasciitis last summer. Between being overweight, working on hard concrete floors all day standing, and playing tennis 3 times a week. It never subsided until I finally went to Walmart and tried Dr Scholl's thing, got insert, immediately fixed issue. By the next day I felt 100% fine, best $50 ever. I played tennis and worked out through it, but I also play through pain a lot. I don't know if it is recommended to do so though, logically it is an injury that can be further injured by doing this. There are also stretches(towel stretches) you can do to help.
    Are you talking about the inserts that are by the big machine you step on and use to pinpoint the problem areas on your feet? I've been tempted to buy one but at the price, I was wary. Buuuut if you say it works, then damn! i need to get me one!
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think I might have this as well. Mine is located on what I have seen as called the bursa of my heel. Is this the same or something else? Also, how did you get those cute weight tickers? I'm new :)

Thanks!!

You could have a spur in your heel or Plantar faciatis. My pain is just infront of the ball of my foot. Only way to figure it out is to be seen by your Dr.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Mine really got better when my weight came own. I started wearing my tennis and not just flat shoes. It was worst right after I had my daughter. I got orthotics from podiatrist which was a must! Wore them all the time!
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    suffered for almost 2 years with it.

this is what helped, daily stretching. ice therapy and GOOD shoes. Find good quality running shoes. New Balance higher end shoes have rollbar stablizers specifically for plantar fasciitis

i have no had any issues in almost a year.
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've had it for about 2 years, had 3 lots of steriod injections and once they wore off it came back, also had Extracorporeal shock wave therapy, that helped a lot, I still have it slightly but not as bad as it has been, the shoe inserts help, also NEVER wear completely flat shoes, you need some support, flip flops etc are out, I wear my running shoes indoors nearly all the time. Hope you get better soon
  • ladyfingers39
    ladyfingers39 Posts: 335
    Options
    -stretch your calves daily
    -roll your foot around on a golf ball or frozen tennis ball several times per day.
    -sit in the hurdlers stretch, and, using a towel around the ball of your foot, pull back on the towel so your toes are coming back towards you.

go to youtube and search stretching videos for "plantars fasciitis"

Yes, all of those. Stretching and wearing very comfortable shoes. No flip flops, no backless shoes...you need to support on your heel for it heal. Good luck, I had it for over year and it was awful. Now I can manage it, but just know that once you have it it's always going to be there and come back so you have to listen to your body and back off when it starts to hurt again.
  • Modcom
    Modcom Posts: 18
    Options
    I had it in my left foot for almost two years. My Doc finally used a procedure called Ultrashock Therapy, very painful procedure. The results were phenomenal. I never had problems with my foot again, thats 5 years now and counting.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I was told no more Keds, no more flat shoes with no support.

Also, to use a frozen water bottle and roll it under my foot.

Some good at home treatment stuff can be found at footsmart.com -- supports, braces that sort of stuff.

My dr said it was caused by small tears that would heal at night, causing my foot to be tight in the morning. Then as I'd walk around, I would re-tear everything, which would get rid of the pain from tightness. Of course, the tears would re-heal again that night, starting the whole cycle over again. The 'cure' was to sleep with these weird brace thingies that would allow my foot to heal in an arched position -- so no tightness in the morning.
  • cory2615
    cory2615 Posts: 11
    Options
    get a certified massage therapist to work on it. i work on PF at-least 6-10 times a week. you can freeze a plastic water bottle and roll it in the arch of your foot or get a tennis ball and roll your foot as well. its fixable just look at every other option before you get any kind of surgery for it cause that might not fix it and its incredibly painful. Best of luck <3
  • EmmEfff
    EmmEfff Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said, but want to add to do some exercises BEFORE you get out of bed in the morning, and before you get up out of a chair if you've been sitting for a while. Toe points - towards and away from you, will help. Not heal, but help - and keep you from that first agonizing step on the floor.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    -stretch your calves daily
    -roll your foot around on a golf ball or frozen tennis ball several times per day.
    -sit in the hurdlers stretch, and, using a towel around the ball of your foot, pull back on the towel so your toes are coming back towards you.

go to youtube and search stretching videos for "plantars fasciitis"
    [/That's what I did and it is gone!quote]
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have fought with that in the past, but don't anymore. My doc suggested foot circles from the ankle down. Before you get up...EVERY TIME you get up...do outward circles with your feet for the count of 25, then do inward circles with your feel for the count of 25. It will warm up and stretch your plantar facia. As you lose weight and become more active, the pain will lessen and ultimately go away.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I had it in both feet. I was an early adopter of orthotics and had been using them in everything from ski boots to exercise shoes. I tried stretching, changing shoes, injections, nothing seemed to help.

Then I ran into a physical therapist who suggested I try losing the orthotics and going without footbeds and barefoot whenever possible. She told me my use of orthotics had led to my foot muscles contracting and that while stretching probably helped, it was being offset by the footbeds.

Two months later the PF was gone and hasn't returned after around 3 years. I realize going barefoot and away from footbeds is contrary to what's typically recommended but the therapist insisted footbeds while serving a purpose have become a profitable business for podiatrists and others and they'd rather use them as a cure all than admit they're creating problems.

She'd been doing PT for years and says before footbeds she'd never had a patient with the condition and now she sees it all the time.
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I streached mine out it hurts like crazy but streaching before and after walking will prevent that. Go to the end of the curb and let your heal drop for 10 to 15 seconds then do other side then both this will hurt like crazy but till you work it out. you will see a differance
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was told no more Keds, no more flat shoes with no support.

Also, to use a frozen water bottle and roll it under my foot.

Some good at home treatment stuff can be found at footsmart.com -- supports, braces that sort of stuff.

My dr said it was caused by small tears that would heal at night, causing my foot to be tight in the morning. Then as I'd walk around, I would re-tear everything, which would get rid of the pain from tightness. Of course, the tears would re-heal again that night, starting the whole cycle over again. The 'cure' was to sleep with these weird brace thingies that would allow my foot to heal in an arched position -- so no tightness in the morning.

This is exactly what my doctor told me. He gave me a special wrap for my foot and outlawed flip flops and walking around barefoot. Before I got out of bed to pee in the morning I had to put shoes on! Took about one week and I was back to normal!
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Interesting everyone, thanks for sharing. I went with my daughter last year for a pedicure. I am barefoot a lot :blushing: and my heels were quite rough.... the callus was scrapped off and ever since then have had pain in my heel. I am trying to put two and two together... I will try some of these remedies.. thanks again!