Quick question about Weight Training....

Options
Does the following qualify as PROPPER Weight training? Per day, 3 times a week:

* 6 Different weight lifting machines (4 arms with 2 legs)
* 3 sets of 12 reps on each machine
* Squats with dumbbels
* Some days some extra free weights too

Weights not the lightest, last reps hard to do.
Im asking as Im used to sweat dripping, hard exercise (yes cardio), not that I dont work up a sweat with weights, cause I do!! But I walk out the gym and feel like Im cheating, haha.

Also, how much calories would such training be burning?

Replies

• Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would say its strength training, your used to being out of breathe with cardio, weight training is intense but more for your muscles than your heart. You will be burning less calories after the workout, but I think you continue to burn calories hours afterward. If I were to do your type of workout I would burn around 250 calories give or take you didnt say how long. Just make sure you workout your back also.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    thats alot more organized than my workout...:smile:
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    3 Sets of 12 reps is not strength training - it's metabolic training. Whether or not this is "proper" would require more information (i.e. your goal, the rest of your training, your diet, etc.)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    "Proper" depends on context.

The key for you would be to focus on "progressive overload," that is, keep track of how much you're lifting, and once you hit those 12 reps, add more weight the next session.

As far how many cals it burns, I have no idea.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    3 Sets of 12 reps is not strength training - it's metabolic training. Whether or not this is "proper" would require more information (i.e. your goal, the rest of your training, your diet, etc.)

What does this mean? What is "metabolic training" with weights? I'm new to the whole lifting thing and have never heard this term.
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options

What is "metabolic training"?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

* Squats with dumbbels

Im asking as Im used to sweat dripping, hard exercise (yes cardio), not that I dont work up a sweat with weights, cause I do!! But I walk out the gym and feel like Im cheating, haha.

If you feel like you are cheating yourself I would suggest a different program. Find once the is based on compound movements using heavy weights where you are not able to do more than 8-10 reps, once you can get 8 or 10, increase the weight the next time. Machine are not the best way to work your body for strength training.

You can even focus more on strength and do 5 rep sets with even heavier weight. Take a look at starting strength and stronglifts 5x5 or even the book New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Weight training can also have cardiovascular benefits, especially with compound lifts.

Try to incorporate these:

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Pullups / Chinups

If you're looking to gain muscle, cut your reps down to 6 or 8. If you can do 12, increase the weight!

Calories burned will probably be less than a cardio session, but will be more beneficial for body composition - you will lose fat and gain muscle instead of losing both.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Metabolic training?? Whats the difference please?
    Goal - weight loss AND building muscle deffinition.
    Rest of training - I do 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 - about 5 times a week
    Diet - lots of clean eating like lean meats (chicken, fish, ostrich), steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) , occasional whole wheat bread, beans, eggs, protein powder etc.
    Occasional cheat, eg a chocolate, burger, pizza, popcorn, wine.

I want to lose another 8kg at least, but if building muscle means that number is less I'll be fine with it. i want definition and I want look good naked!!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I just started ChaLean Extream. I was very use to hard cardio ( Insanity) Dripping sweat and couldnt catch my breath. So after the 35 minutes of lifting and only burning 100 calories per my HRM I felt like I didnt get a good workout. UNTIL a little later when my arms started burning and I was so tried. Then I felt like I really did do something!
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options

* Squats with dumbbels

If you feel like you are cheating yourself I would suggest a different program. Find once the is based on compound movements using heavy weights where you are not able to do more than 8-10 reps, once you can get 8 or 10, increase the weight the next time. Machine are not the best way to work your body for strength training.

You can even focus more on strength and do 5 rep sets with even heavier weight. Take a look at starting strength and stronglifts 5x5 or even the book New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Will Compound movement still make me lose the fat?
    I was wondering about the machines.... I feel like I can do more...but I'm so damn scared of that free weights section with all those bulky men...stupid, yes I know. Need to get over it.
    I've just now downloaded the New Rules for Lifting for Women for my Kindle, thank you.
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    Weight training can also have cardiovascular benefits, especially with compound lifts.

Try to incorporate these:

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Pullups / Chinups

If you're looking to gain muscle, cut your reps down to 6 or 8. If you can do 12, increase the weight!

Calories burned will probably be less than a cardio session, but will be more beneficial for body composition - you will lose fat and gain muscle instead of losing both.

Thank you! I think I'm going to try that yes!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I was wondering about the machines.... I feel like I can do more...but I'm so damn scared of that free weights section with all those bulky men...stupid, yes I know. Need to get over it.
    I've just now downloaded the New Rules for Lifting for Women for my Kindle, thank you.

Yes. Learn free weights. They are safer in the long run because they don't force you into awkward machine-like movements.

You will soon understand that nearly all machines are a waste of floor space.
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    I just started ChaLean Extream. I was very use to hard cardio ( Insanity) Dripping sweat and couldnt catch my breath. So after the 35 minutes of lifting and only burning 100 calories per my HRM I felt like I didnt get a good workout. UNTIL a little later when my arms started burning and I was so tried. Then I felt like I really did do something!

:) Thats great...I like hearing that...means I'm on the right path at least I think!
    Thank you!
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options

Yes. Learn free weights. They are safer in the long run because they don't force you into awkward machine-like movements.

You will soon understand that nearly all machines are a waste of floor space.

Wow... Thats amazing actually to read...that means I can use the free weights at my home (private space) to a better extend?! Would really love that. But I thought that I need the gym equipment to get the best weight workouts.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Not necessary lose fat, but you won't do that with cardio either. You lose fat by being in a caloric deficit (no cardio needed), but without strength training you lose fat and muscle, and you engage more muscles with compound moments meaning in a deficit you will lose less muscle as you lose the fat.

For fat loss cardio only allows you to eat more and maintain the same deficit as doing no exercise, it has a host of other benefits but for weight loss it just lets you eat more to lose the same, but cardio can also lead to the loss of lean muscle as it takes caloires away from repairing and building muscle to use as fuel.
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    Not necessary lose fat, but you won't do that with cardio either. You lose fat by being in a caloric deficit (no cardio needed), but without strength training you lose fat and muscle, and you engage more muscles with compound moments meaning in a deficit you will lose less muscle as you lose the fat.

For fat loss cardio only allows you to eat more and maintain the same deficit as doing no exercise, it has a host of other benefits but for weight loss it just lets you eat more to lose the same, but cardio can also lead to the loss of lean muscle as it takes caloires away from repairing and building muscle to use as fuel.

Mmmmmm, thanks Eric..... I think I understand what u are saying. Thats also why I want to do propper weight training to NOT lose that lean muscle. Ive been doing lots of cardio and eating under my BMR (yes, Ive realised my mistake) and not losing anything for weeks on end. So I want to lose body fat, maintain lean muscle and eventually build some more lean body mass.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Well, eventually you will want an olympic weight set, squat rack, etc - which they have at any reasonable gym. It took me about 3 weeks to outgrow a barbell set at home (For weight AND safety reasons)
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

What does this mean? What is "metabolic training" with weights? I'm new to the whole lifting thing and have never heard this term.

What is "metabolic training"?
    The link below will answer your questions (and probably much more than you want to know).
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/categories-of-weight-training-part-1.html

The bottom line is that in most cases, metabolic training by itself is not ideal for muscle preservation in a diet.

Metabolic training?? Whats the difference please?
    Goal - weight loss AND building muscle deffinition.
    Rest of training - I do 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 - about 5 times a week
    Diet - lots of clean eating like lean meats (chicken, fish, ostrich), steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) , occasional whole wheat bread, beans, eggs, protein powder etc.
    Occasional cheat, eg a chocolate, burger, pizza, popcorn, wine.

I want to lose another 8kg at least, but if building muscle means that number is less I'll be fine with it. i want definition and I want look good naked!!
    See the link I pasted above about what metabolic training is. Speaking vaguely, low reps (3-5) would be "strength training", medium ranged reps would be for hypertrophy (6-8), and higher rep-ranges could be considered metabolic training. Although I'm being vague here and it's not really that clear cut and it will depend on other variables. You should also read this link as well:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html

Regarding your goal, you need to pick one and focus on it. Or you will just be spinning your wheels.
    1. Fat loss while preserving muscle mass
    2. Muscle gain while limiting fat gain
    This doesn't mean you can't change your goal later (it's called cycling)