The Biggest Loser

Options
I saw the first episode of Season Eight last night to get a little motivation, I thought. I was so shocked! Why does Jill have to scream and cuss at people? That's not motivation, that's abuse! Don't heavy people have enough low self-esteem already?

Replies

• Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    But think of the high self esteem they will have when they can do it and she tells them she's proud of them :smile:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I agree last night Jillian and Bob both seemed a little extreme for the first workouts with new people. I know they need motivation to get them up and moving but I hate swearing so much that I know it would not make me work-out harder but want to wash their mouths out with soap.
  • kirahooper
    Options
    I also watched the first episode of the Biggest Loser last night to get some kind of motivation. I work out every morning for at least an hour with trainer but I don't get screamed at like that. Maybe that's her way of trying to bring reality to people.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    We were only shown like 20 minutes of hours of exercising. I doubt she's like that 24/7.
  • kelfeene
    kelfeene Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Agreed with TBYRD!
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    sometimes when we are harsh to our bodies and let ourselves get to that point it takes someone being harsh to us to get the point! tough love. everyone reacts differently in that situation. some people are motivated by encouragement and some people won't get off their butts enless someone makes them (me!), i'm sure they offer the best of both worlds to these people. it works! so don't guess they will complain!
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I read an interview with her and got the impression that when she made her transition from overweight to super fit, it was because a coach challenged her in the same way. It's an approach that works well for some people because anger is a huge motivator. Also, when are successful and the coach says "good job" it means that much more because you really had to earn it. This approach seemed to work for Alexandra.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    know where I can watch it online? tried hulu and it said it won't be available until next week! grrrr
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    boo! i was counting on hulu! :angry:
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    HULU IS THE BEST! Can you watch it on the actual biggest loser website?
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    while I think we get an edited version, that focuses on the screaming....when people are that far out of control it takes a serious interruption in their patterns and thinking to change their mindset......sometimes a little screaming is what's needed...
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    i think you can still be affective screaming and in ppl's faces without swearing.:bigsmile:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    i think you can still be affective screaming and in ppl's faces without swearing.:bigsmile:
    I agree but the swearing makes it more shocking which equals higher ratings....we have to remember it's a TV show, no matter how motivating it is sometimes :wink:
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I actually liked it when she said, "LET GO OF THE F*ING TREADMILL!!" :laugh:
    I could have used that advice a couple years ago when I started using the treadmill. I was terrified to let go! And you never know...she could have asked nicely 5 times and then had to get mean when they weren't responding to nice.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    sorry, never a fan of swearing no matter what the circumstances.
  • pinkbutterfly23
    Options
    I personal thought it was a great show last night. After the show I actually wanted to know how many hours they workout in a day and I was shocked when I came across this article. Here is the link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24097852/

According to this they workout for 4 to 6 hours a day!!!
  • preggo5
    Options
    I read an interview Jill gave. Did you know she weighed 175 and 14 and got kicked out of karate class for sneaking in cheetos. Maybe it took someone (her dad) yelling at her for her to change?
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with kelly_a. There is never a time to use swearing to get people motivated. My husband is a ISSA certified fitness trainer and he has seen tremendous results in his clients who are 200, 300, 400 plus pounds. In 5 months one client lost 60 pounds by pure hard work and dedication without us getting in her face and screaming at her. She isn't on a diet, but made a life change and hasn't looked back. He has also been my coach and pushed me to limits I never thought I could go and helped me break through to freedom. There is so much more to the issue of weight loss than just the "number of pounds" a person needs to loose. It goes far deeper than that to the heart of the person. Until you can realize how and why you got to that point every pound lost is only temporary and over time will climb right back on as you fall back into old habits. You can encourage, motivate and inspire people by believing in them, fighting with them by their side and giving them the tools to succeed for a lifetime. We watched the show last night and it turned our stomachs. I realize that what we saw was only minutes out of hours of workouts, but it was enough to show us that Bob and Jillian are not trainers they are actors and dictators that have a lot to learn when it comes to dealing with people.
  • melkay40
    Options
    I 100% agree that there is so much more to losing weight than the pounds. I would say that many, if not all excessively overweight people have some underlying problem that caused them to get in the shape they are in. I am one of those people. And I know the Biggest Loser is a TV show and a lot of hype and I am sure it gets edited like crazy to show only the bad. But I also think that Jillian tries to help these people find their "underlying problem". That show motivated me to search out what my problems were and why I allowed myself to get in this shape.

I was always athletic, thin and an attractive person. Two divorces and many issues in between and my answer was to hide behind food. My life was out of control with no direction but one thing I could control was food. Yet food controlled me. I am an addict to food just as people are addicted to alcohol or drugs.

I struggle everyday with my addiction but with the support of you guys and my desire to be healthier and happy I will not succumb to this addiction.
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Ok I missed it because I was out of town....is there someone I can go online to see the epsiode??