Why is it harder to run in 'real life' than on a treadmill?

Options
for the past few weeks I've been going to the gym about 3/4 times a week and I can usually do about 5km on the treadmill in just under half an hour, but, today I decided to go for a run and after about ten minutes I was absolutely shattered! I really struggled to run ten minutes where as on the treadmill I can usually go for about half an hour!
is there any reason or is it just psychological?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You have to control your pace, not the machine, so most people run faster than they are accustomed to when they first start running outside.

Also, the changes in elevation, though subtle, do have an impact.

Don't let anyone tell you that it's wind resistance, because it's not (unless, of course, you are running into a headwind the entire time).
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Carson has it pretty much dead on. That and the climate can play a role (living in Florida, it can play a pretty big one).
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    On a treadmill, you just have to bounce up off the ground, and the distance moves under you. Real life running, you have to propel your body weight forward.

Also, a treadmill is lower impact than asphalt.
  • midgetio
    midgetio Posts: 57
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running outdoors is very different from the treadmill. You're propelling yourself forward rather than the mat moving under your feet and, as Carson aptly pointed out - you're probably trying to run at the pace from the treadmill.

Slow down, watch your stride (treadmills tend to promote a longish stride when running outdoors you want to keep your forward foot very close to being under your hips - as in Carson's profile picture - to land mid or fore foot). The transition may take a bit but, IMO, is well worth it - especially if you're thinking of signing up for any races. I did my first 5K race with relatively little outdoor running and by the 3rd km had the shin splints to prove it.....
  • IzzieLee
    IzzieLee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Carson's got it right. Figuring out and maintaining your pace outside is hard! I am always amazed when I run with people outside who can tell you exactly what pace they are running and can adjust it on a whim. I never have any idea how fast or slow I'm going unless I go so fast I burn out. I'm told it's an ability you can acquire but so far it escapes me. Thank goodness for a running watch!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Carson's got it right. Figuring out and maintaining your pace outside is hard! I am always amazed when I run with people outside who can tell you exactly what pace they are running and can adjust it on a whim. I never have any idea how fast or slow I'm going unless I go so fast I burn out. I'm told it's an ability you can acquire but so far it escapes me. Thank goodness for a running watch!!

It takes time, time and more time to tell what pace you are running. It's certainly easier now with GPS watches that give instant feedback. I've been running for about 8 years and it's only been within the last 2 years or so that I can tell what my pace is within 15 seconds per mile or so. It's tough. Thank God for GPS. :)