Eating: before or after exercise?

So I've heard both, and I wanted more opinions AND reasoning, do you eat before or after you exercise, and why? Not looking for "because I like to" or broscience answers, I'm looking for reasoning that says which is better for a losing weight/being healthy perspective. My figure skating coach used to say I *should* eat before exercising (not right before of course, like a while before) so that I have energy to exercise, whereas my gymnastics coach would say eat after...is there some scientific explanation as to why one is better?

Replies

• saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    I eat before. My reasoning is not scientific at all. My hubby works during the day and I walk after dinner so he can watch the kids and I can walk by myself. If I take my kids on the walk I have to walk much slower and I don't burn as many calories.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Both! I was told by my personal trainer to eat a light meal/snack 30-60 mins before working out and then protein afterwards. You eat before to get the energy to do the workout and you eat protein after to repair the body.
  • Iram987
    Iram987 Posts: 12 Member
    I do both. I eat a small bowl of low sugar cereal and skim milk about an hour before; then a small protein and carb mea (like one egg and whole wheat toast) soon after. Both my trainer and class instructor say this is the way to go. Good luck!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    It's honestly a personal preference thing, there's no real benefit for eating before, or directly after.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    I eat after I workout. I feel sick if I eat before :ohwell: