Do You Lose Weight If You Follow the Calories the site recom

Options
Hello! Just curious if those of you that have been on this site a while, does the calories the site gives you when you fill out your profile...if you stick to it, will you in fact start losing? Just curious...never counted calories before. Also, do you have to go in periodically and put in your new weight into your profile to get a lower calorie suggestion? Just full of questions and hoping this will be a good way for me to kick off a weight loss...I just found this site yesturday and it seems great so far...very user friendly! Anyways, Happy Sunday to you all! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• geske2be
    geske2be Posts: 11
    Options
    Hello! Just curious if those of you that have been on this site a while, does the calories the site gives you when you fill out your profile...if you stick to it, will you in fact start losing? Just curious...never counted calories before. Also, do you have to go in periodically and put in your new weight into your profile to get a lower calorie suggestion? Just full of questions and hoping this will be a good way for me to kick off a weight loss...I just found this site yesturday and it seems great so far...very user friendly! Anyways, Happy Sunday to you all! :flowerforyou:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    If it didn't work, this site wouldn't be so successful. :bigsmile: Welcome, it really DOES work! :heart:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    You know, i'm not so sure about having to change your weight. I just enter my new weight as I lose weight in the "check-in" section and my calorie count hasn't changed at all, and I have lost 24 pounds. Good Question!
  • geske2be
    geske2be Posts: 11
    Options
    I was just wondering about that...I remember reading something one time...it may have been one of the "Biggest Loser" books on how they had to reduce there calories with there new weight. Don't quote me on that...just remember something along those lines.
  • JJAE53
    JJAE53 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It works for me. Been on it for a little over 3 weeks, and lost 6.5 pounds. I've lost more with all kinds of programs, but I've never kept the weight off. With this site, I know I can keep it off because I'm changing my life style and the way I think about food and exercise.

Welcome! Glad to have you here!
  • dragonscapes24
    Options
    If you go into goals as you lose weight and readjust it may give you fewer calories... but it may not because it takes into account that you are being more active as you lose weight... also it won't take you below 1200...
    Hope this helps
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I do try to follow the sites recommendations and it seems to work. Every ten pounds I lose it asks me if i would like the site to re-evaluate my goals and I always say yes. this last time it dropped my calories (without exercise) from 1340 to 1250:frown: But it is okay I see how to stay right around my goals and I have been losing since I started in December I average 1-2 lbs a week but sometimes I lose more sometimes I lose less but right before my monthly I always gain (water weight) No matter what the scale says I always stick with it and am having amazing results!!
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Have used this site since January and iI have lost 34 lbs. It works as long as you follow your own guidelines the site recommends and eat your calories (even exercise ones you burn). Love MFP!!!!!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've lost 20 lbs since Jan. and my husband has lost 23. You do not have to reenter your weight, it will automatically do it for you as long as you check in. Make sure to eat all the calories you are given or you may stop losing weight. If you find you aren't losing, check your activity level, maybe you estimated yourself as being more active than you really are. Good luck!
  • delanahub
    delanahub Posts: 56
    Options
    This website is great, if you stick to your program and are honest in your eating and exercise you can not fail. If you do go over your calories, you will know right away, very helpful, and you are more apt to choose wisely since you hold your self accountable in "black and white" Good luck and enjoy the life changing journey.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    43 lbs since september! Followed the site to a T.

It works. As long as you're honest with it and don't try to rush things.

:smile:
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I been seeing great results since I started following it.
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Been here 2 weeks and love it. The support is super duper too.:happy: Wish I had found it sooner tho.:grumble:
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    And then there is always the other side, it is not working for me, the ten pounds I lost, I lost before I got here, and I've lost one pound since then. It's frustrating and discouraging, but not the fault of the site. I have a physical coming up on the 28th and hope the results will shed some light on what is happening. I love the support and the people and the information, and working or not, I feel better knowing I'm doing something positive and, although I'm not losing, I'm not gaining.
  • WMayfield
    WMayfield Posts: 19
    Options
    HI! I've been using the site for about 3 weeks now and have lost about 4 lbs. I haven't changed what I eat, just how much and I don't feel deprived. If I go over one day, I just try to be a little more careful the next, but I don't obsess. For me, the beauty of the site is being aware of what I'm eating and how much exercise I'm getting.

Also, this is something I can do for the rest of my life to maintain my health. Yes, eat all your calories, but if you come in a little bit under, that's okay. It all evens out throughout the week.
  • mom2morgan
    Options
    I have a suspicion it may not work as well for those with a lot to lose. I've researched a lot at many different web sites, and it iseems like most places use a standard calculation of calories per pound. The problem is, pounds of pure fat don't burn as many calories - so once the proportion of fat to the rest of the body is high, you can not longer use up that many calories (for example, 14 calories per pound). I don't find that I can lose on the calories this site is recommending, and I've been at it a month - I seem to have to drop 300-400 lower to see resuts. Maybe someon in administration can help us out with this?