OMG!

Options
JMAMA
JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
I just ate a 920 calorie muffin! UGGGH i had no idea that the apple crumb muffins from costco had that many calories-i had to google it myself to make sure-BEWARE! I am giving the rest away-never again!!!!!

Replies

• abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    Options
    holy **** how can a muffin be that much :/
  • liz72
    liz72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I ordered a meal at Chili's the other night, and it was 1500 calories. I about fell off my chair. Made me feel like a pig and really bothered me the next day. I can't believe restaurants can get away with making such calorie laden entrees. I still don't know where all those calories came from. What do they put in that stuff?
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    WOWOWOWOW!!!

That happened to me once. My mother loves the muffins from BJs (they are damn good). We were being so good only eating half at a time. 180 calories in 1/3 of a blueberry muffin!!! Spread the word - muffins are just cake (usually worse).
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    OMG I love the safeway apple muffins, they aren't as bad but still not whole wheat :frown:

~Leash :heart:
  • Sharikae
    Sharikae Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you make your own muffins, the calories aren't as high. I think the oil is the culprit. Adding good healthy oil, flax powder, less suger, etc., should make up for the high calorie muffin. That's what I do and I hope they are healthy. They don't taste as yummy as the Costco muffins though. :(
  • roshong06
    Options
    I make my own cake and muffins from scratch, and if you subsitue the oil for applesauce (it really does taste exacly the same) it really cuts your cals down alot. You just use equal part when you sub. If the recipe calls for 1 cup oil, use 1 cup applesauce instead, I don't remember what website I read this on, but I have yet to find a baking recipe that is will not work on. I usually use the no sugar added apple sauce since baking usually requires alot of sugar anyway. :wink:
  • dizzlemcd
    Options
    I always substitute with applesauce too. It makes it more moist
  • DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That's insane. All of their food is really bad though. In one slice of pizza there is over 700 cals. Never again will I eat in their food court.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I almost bamboozled myself a few times, but what i do is literally look at EVERYTHING either online or on the nutrion lable before i eat it because i've almost made that mistake a few times....ONE slice of pizza...700 cals....i almost had a heart attack just thinking about it! oh and those little itsy bitsy tiny red potatoes....100 calories each!!!!! I just found that out yesterday
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat a half of the blueberry muffin from costco because they are so high in calories-i assumed that the apple one had 500+ but I had enough calories leftover to eat a whole one, (so I thought ) ....When I googled it, it came up under a list for being a high calorie food for putting lbs on those with aneorexia. 920 calories, still in disbelief!!!!!!
  • AirWick
    Options
    Hey all i just created a Muffin that is only 110 calories. But this is not your ordenary muffin it an Asian omelet. It has chopped red onions, chopped mushrooms, lean ground beef and an egg. all that for only 110 calories. i remember a dish i had in the philippines thats something like it but better.
    And it fills you up i can only eat two. but you would never think that a omelet muffin wirh all that stuff
    in it is so low in calories. i entered in the information into the chart look up AirWick Asian Omelet Muffins. :happy:
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Hey all i just created a Muffin that is only 110 calories. But this is not your ordenary muffin it an Asian omelet. It has chopped red onions, chopped mushrooms, lean ground beef and an egg. all that for only 110 calories. i remember a dish i had in the philippines thats something like it but better.
    And it fills you up i can only eat two. but you would never think that a omelet muffin wirh all that stuff
    in it is so low in calories. i entered in the information into the chart look up AirWick Asian Omelet Muffins. :happy:

would you mind listing this receipe in the recipe forum??? i would love to get it, sound slike a bomb breakfast idea
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Costco stuff is huge. It was an eye-opener to see the 600-700 calories per slice of pizza. When I was working, my job was outside sales and my territory included downtown Chicago. There aren't that many public bathrooms readily available in the big city. I often used the Costco parking lot as my noontime "office", using the bathroom at the store and getting a cheap lunch from the food court.

Lunch usually meant 2 pizza slices. Ouch. Is it any wonder that job led to a 60lb weight gain over 8 years?

I think I may have bought a costco pizza one time since March--to bring to a party. By then, forewarned was forearmed, so I made sure I cut the pieces into 1/2 the size they give you at Costco, for a total of about 300+ calories. Still quite a bit (which is why I haven't had any since), but not quite as bad.

Because of the size, I don't think there are any good alternatives at the Costco food court.